Anyone Having Trouble With Secret Doors?

Hi, all of a sudden neither my char (Level 31) nor any of my hirelings (e.g., lvl 24 rogue) can find secret doors. We sense them, but search doesn't find them. My char has True Seeing and 22 Int. Is it possible that in legendary content doors are just that hard to find?

Thoughts appreciated. It's bumming me and my son out because we're missing out on some chests.

Ahpuch

True seeing stops finding secret doors well before legendary. It works to DC 30 which will only find doors that are required to complete the quest. You will need a search in 80s or better I think once you get to Vecna unleashed.

Ahpuch

True seeing stops finding secret doors well before legendary. It works to DC 30 which will only find doors that are required to complete the quest. You will need a search in 80s or better I think once you get to Vecna unleashed.
I just checked my one char who runs around with a 91 search and they need to equip stuff/buff in order to raise it enough to find some doors. So 80s may be too low if you are running Reaper difficulty.

Last edited:

DYWYPI

True Seeing, works upon Search DC: 30, for it to "auto reveal" Secret doors, so it will reveal nearly every Secret door on Elite until quests in the teens. Obviously some low DC hidden doors in Epic will be below Search DC 30. Reaper setting does not increase Secret door DCs.

Terpilar

The lvl 24 Drow rogue hireling is bad at Search, try the lvl 21 one or maybe the others, and try buffing them anyway if you can (Prayer, Heroism/G Heroism, Bard and FvS buffs, etc.)

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
Find Trap Spell or Scrolls will raise your search by 1/2 your caster level. If you arent a Cleric or FVS you need UMD 24 to use Scrolls.
Just a heads up though; it grants an Insight bonus to Search if memory serves, so if you have anything that is already giving Insight bonus on your gear to Search (or Intelligence skills), it won't stack.

J1NG

Lagin

I have a hard time finding this :eek:

cwFnlrv.jpg

DYWYPI

All the older vendor purchasable Epic Rogue Hirelings have Search DCs lower than Search DC:55 (even if they use their Skills boost if they have one on their hotbar).

Given that you have a Level 31 Character it's likely you are doing Level 30 or higher quests. Therefore, it wouldn't be uncommon to come across some Secret doors requiring Search DCs in the 60s by Level 30. There are some Secret door DC outliers at Level 28 (Elite) that require a Search DC of 73.

Last edited:

FuzzyDuck81

Find Trap Spell or Scrolls will raise your search by 1/2 your caster level. If you arent a Cleric or FVS you need UMD 24 to use Scrolls.

The big benefit of the Find Traps spell isn't so much the boost to search skills itself but it granting the trapfinding feat which is required for at least some secret doors as well as trap boxes - not sure how consistent this but it doesn't hurt to have a stack of find traps scrolls handy.

I like to keep a basic ML20 sentient weapon with the trapper's delight filigree set on it as a swap-in to boost trap/door finding skills in epic levels, 4 slots for the full benefit isn't to difficult to obtain.

Fauxknight

True seeing works on elite/reaper until about level 14. There are exceptions, but expect most doors from base level 15 quests on to not be found with true seeing.

Shiradi used to be able to see up to DC45, not sure if they lost that with the destiny rework.