Anyone using a Steamdeck or other handheld?

Teh_Troll

Curious as the ROG Ally looks really good and not expensive.

Anyone playing DDO on these? Hows the experience?

Bowserkoopa

King of the Koopa's
I used to play DDO with a steam controller. Steam is really good about letting you map out keys etc but at the time i was mainly only playing my tank and a warlock enlightened spirit so mostly I had the basic controls and then portions of whatever active hotbar I had setup for the abilities I use the most.

I think there are some features that I haven't tried wherein you can hold/push a given button and then as long as it's held it will use it as a modifier to perform a different function so in theory you could use multiple hotbars worth of abilities. I think I could actually run my current tank via the steam deck I just haven't tried it yet. That being said I think it would take work to play my druid.

Nimvind

Dirgesinger Bard of Sarlona
I'm interested in a steam deck for portable play when I am traveling as well, will keep an eye on this thread.

Nandos

If you load Steam and click on the Steamdeck, it will tell you which games in your Steam library will work with it. DDO was in the "playable but might require extra effort to interact with" category. I would like to hear from someone who has one and has tried it with DDO.

erousted8

Many years ago I used a different desktop streaming system(wish I could recall the name, it ran very well) to play DDO on a very cheap Android tablet. I didn't have any specialized controls for it and used the onscreen keyboard for WASD. I played either on very terrible work wifi or somehow the even worse free wifi at the Carl's Jr.

It worked shockingly well despite these limitations.

Granted, about all I could do was handle basic auction house/mail/inventory chores, but that's all I really had time for in the middle of work anyway.

So if my very cheap and woefully-under-powered(even for the time) tablet could do it circa 10 years ago, your fancy modern "steam deck" should be able to cut the mustard.

Owlbear

Why? I do it all the time with no more issues than when wired. Wifi 6E is fast as heck and I'm getting maybe 5-10 ms more latency.
Cause it's not about speed, it's about stability. Wifi will always have more unstable connection and more possible disconnects or lags.

Neilfladech

Play on my deck all the time. High settings 60 fps. Even did a raid night to test it. More than playable. Although I think spell casters would be harder with the controller.

Teh_Troll

Cause it's not about speed, it's about stability. Wifi will always have more unstable connection and more possible disconnects or lags.
Maybe 10 years ago, but modern equipment?

currently getting less than 15ms latency and 0% loss on Wifi.

Owlbear

Maybe 10 years ago, but modern equipment?

currently getting less than 15ms latency and 0% loss on Wifi.
Assuming most players have your modern equipment and connection... Newsflash... Most people still don't in 2023. And yes even with modern equipment a lot of things can still influence your connection thus making it always more unstable than cabled.

Neilfladech

I play on wifi and have no issues. Have been for years. Equipment is 4+ years old at this point. Don't know why you're arguing with him.

Neilfladech

Assuming most players have your modern equipment and connection... Newsflash... Most people still don't in 2023. And yes even with modern equipment a lot of things can still influence your connection thus making it always more unstable than cabled.
Well since he's playing on a steam deck I assume he's using modern equipment. But thanks for the newsflash. Should change your name to CNN you're providing so much news for us here.

Owlbear

Well since he's playing on a steam deck I assume he's using modern equipment. But thanks for the newsflash. Should change your name to CNN you're providing so much news for us here.
He never said he was playing on a Steamdeck... He wants to know about the ROG Ally DDO experience. And in my opinion it's not a good idea to play DDO on a system like that because playing on Wifi is not a very good idea for an online MMO game. It's very dependible on location, hardware and interference.
I never said it's not possible and he's free to ignore my advice.

Last edited:

Sthera

I injured my back last year and was bed ridden for a month During this time I played on a steam deck. It work surprisingly well the 720 resolution is annoying and the small screen made elements hard but I was able to play and and run content.

Metal

I would love to try my deck but I am afraid the screen would be too small for most builds. I use many clickies and don't think I could access the screen very well. I think it is better played on a laptop-personally.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
9YsSJqN.jpeg

I installed in on my steamdeck a couple days ago. It looks decent enough & FPS rates are fine. Mobs/NPCs in the distances are hard to make out their overhead names but that's not really surprising given the screen size. Wouldn't want to use my typical 18 hotbars, but for a simple character only using a few hotbars, it would be fine. I still need to see what kind of FPS rates it gets on an external monitor at higher resolutions; given DDO's age, I assume it'll still be reasonably solid.