Are bows bugged or is it me?

Maybe it's a me problem, but every time I try a ranged build I ran into the same problem. If it is a dual shooting inqui, fine. Repeater? Fine. Dare I try a bow? The party begins.

Tried to go bow this life. And it happened again. Miss after miss message, when not arrows just vanishing in thin air. Respec'd to inqui: hit, hit, hit, hit, hit... Same toon, same stats, BAB, everything. Got up to lvl 20, and back to bow just to check. Nope, miss, miss, hit, dissapear, hit, miss, miss, dissapear, miss, miss...

I would really like to test a bow build at 32 for once, but it seems the game is telling me "not you" every time i try.

Is this happening to someone else?

running one at cap I aint problems and wether its inquisitive or reapeter or bow Missiles just dissapear idk its ranged and lags
It would be "fine" if it was happening with every ranged weapon, but in my case is consistenly with bows and bows only. Is not just lag or the occasional loss of line of sight that causes a missfire, is a noticeable increase in misses. As in "ooopsie, the enemy has more AC than that", with the "miss" message appearing. That and the ones dissapearing, two different issues. With crossbows I get them on occasion, as in rolling a 1 and so on. Change to bow and i'll be getting a "miss" 5 out of 10 times.

droid327

Keep in mind bows are not hitscan, they fire actual projectiles...so mobs can avoid your arrows, whereas crossbows I think are hitscan

Actual rolled miss-on-2+ is more of a quandary, since whatever your to-hit stat is for crossbows, you should be able to apply it to bows as well. Are you seeing the same +bonus number on your D20 as with xbows, its just not hitting?

Keep in mind bows are not hitscan, they fire actual projectiles...so mobs can avoid your arrows, whereas crossbows I think are hitscan

Actual rolled miss-on-2+ is more of a quandary, since whatever your to-hit stat is for crossbows, you should be able to apply it to bows as well. Are you seeing the same +bonus number on your D20 as with xbows, its just not hitting?
Actually with the build split, bows have a higher bonus to hit due to being centered + bonus from the trees. The change to inqui is just because I was missing all the time.

Mindos

CHAOTIC EVIL
bows are not hitscan, they fire actual projectiles...so mobs can avoid your arrows, whereas crossbows I think are hitscan
Both are projectile, I think. Strange things start to happen when a repeater takes Rapid Shot. Before you can hit some breakables in a row rarely, but after it's almost always just the targeted breakable. So it seems there are projectiles, and they behave different after taking rapid shot, as in being closer together as they travel. As an aside, we can deduce the "reaction" time of the game: Since the breakable destruction absorbs all three shots when they are spaced closely, but sometimes allows others to "continue" without the feat taken. This "lag" or processing step delay, causes some other problems, and not with just repeaters. For example, often your next "shot" or attack, will still be associated with the old target if it "just" died. This is probably why shots just disappear, or players "perceive" lag on their end.

Kimbere

It's not just bows or even just ranged attacks.

I'm running a stormsinger currently and getting tons of dryfires on the spells.

I hit the hotkey, the hotkey greys out and shows cooldown timer. I hit the hotkey again right away (while the cooldown timer graphic still shows multiple seconds left), the spell fires as expected and a new cooldown timer appears.

There seems to be a serious issue with the combat queueing system's client synching.

It's annoying as hell.

Bjond

AFAIK, *all* ranged use projectiles. The to-hit is only checked after the physical projectile impacts a target. It's the same for a melee. What you have on tab target doesn't matter if something steps in front. What gets hit and checked against to-hit is what the swing impacts.

The only weirdity is IPS, which when used WITH a target behaves much different than when used WITHOUT a target. The later will hit lots of things along the full path of the projectile. The former will hit a few things that are directly in between you and target, but nothing after.

BTW, I've not tried leveling with a bow. I have tried leveling a thrower. I've heard bow isn't THAT bad (thrower bad) sub-29, but that it's still highly unpleasant. IMHO, just level your ranged as INQ then swap it to bow or throw at cap. INQ is like an XP rocket-sled you can strap on top of any build and ride it all the way to cap (but as good as it is sub-cap, it's at best 50% of a bow or throw at cap).

Br4d

Lots of stuff goes missing in combat. It's not just bows or ranged. Casters have spells go missing all the time. Melee have swings go missing all the time.

It's just the state of the game.

A few weeks ago I was wondering if they had added CD's to melee swings, or maybe adjust melee such that it required a stationary hit to turn everything on.

Then I realized it's just the state of the game. It makes sense that over time performance would degrade as various things were added. My guess is we're at that point where any add is likely to break everything down.