Asking the other way round : How can I contribute to this event ? How can I have fun out of this event ?

Alrik Fassbauer

Hello,

instead of criticising, which will get me only remarks that no-one is excluded,

I'm turning the table upside down, so to say, and I ask :

How can I contribute to this event with my low-level to mid level characters ?
How can I have fun out of this event with my low-level and mid-level characters ?

All my characters are first-lifers, of course !

Alrik

vryxnr

Explore any quest you can on R1 difficulty. If you find an Illithid Invader, kill it and let others on your server know where you found it. Once it is killed a certain number of times on your server, that spawn point will become "exhausted" meaning you fought back the invasion at that location.

Doing this enough times will unlock higher level quests which will remain in the game from now on, for people to enjoy whenever they are ready (aka: in level range to do them).

edit: they do not always spawn in obvious places. For example: the one in Growing Pains was on the end of a branch that is barely off the main path. Conversely, the one in Where There's Smoke was under the bridge near the end (some people don't take that path to get through that quest)

Shear-buckler

Right now there is nothing you can do. In 2 days you have a few hours to find special mobs in random quests before other players find them.

vryxnr

Right now there is nothing you can do. In 2 days you have a few hours to find special mobs in random quests before other players find them.
Correction: from what I understood of the sharn NPC's dialogue, 2 days from the start of the invasion, So tomorrow there will be a new batch of quests with Illithid Invaders in them.

But yeah, at this exact moment they are not spawning due to all phase 1 locations being found and exhausted already. Gotta wait for phase 2 to start tomorrow. (not saying this is a good thing, just stating that this is the reality at this time. I've said elsewhere that I like the idea of this event, but I do not like it's implementation)

healertank

This ^. On friday round 2 starts and then just run every quest you can on R1 at least and search everywhere in those quests carefully.

CBDunk

Note, you don't even have to kill the Illithid Invader... or complete the quest... or even survive the quest.

You can go in, run around, explore as much of the area as you can while avoiding monsters... and then die horribly. If you find one of the invaders you can then still share the information about where it is and have contributed significantly to the event.

That said... yeah, it is more fun to find them and kill them. Aim for that.

Amorais

Problem is its mid-week. By the time I get off work, everything is already completed in UK time. I checked last night and wayfinder had no exhaustions, went to bed then work. By the time I logged off work, Wayfinder was completed.

Boo. Oh well.

comfy

the comfortable
Problem is its mid-week. By the time I get off work, everything is already completed in UK time. I checked last night and wayfinder had no exhaustions, went to bed then work. By the time I logged off work, Wayfinder was completed.

Boo. Oh well.
Tomorrow we are expecting another batch of quests to be activated with Illithid Invaders. The NPC text said something along the lines of 2 days after the beginning of the invasion (which started around 12pm EST on Wednesday), so I hope that tomorrow evening your time you get the chance to participate!
Edit: It is actually today in your timezone, so should be some tonight!

Driaza

I know there are many posts like this one so just adding my 2c here

Its a nice enough event and i dont really get all the critcisim

1. I agree the new champs are a bit tough but not the end of the world and only temporary. I played the first unlocked quest and really enjoyed it. I would be in favour in keeping the new champs to these new quests (or add to the random spawn types) but please remove from the "regular" quests alltogether in due course which i beleive is confirmed already.

2. I beleive that killing these champs does move the needle for spawning the Mindflayers so if i am correct even by killing one you are helping
All playes of all levels can assist.

3. When Mindflayers do start to spawn then its a needle in haystack search as they could be anywhere. Actively looking for them as an individual unlikely to proove fruitful unless 100s of players co-ordinate. If you happen to find one by chance post it on the mega thread.

4. Players of all levels can assist in killing the mind flayers. There was some crticism that this is only for end level characters and this is quite the opposite!. If you only have level 32 characters and the quest that spawns the Mindflayer will only accept say maximum level 26 characters ... because of Reaper level restrtictions on spawning then we need lower level characters. If they were to spawn in Kobold Den a level 3 base dungeon in WW ... then we need level 8 max or whatever the reaper restriction is. So not an end game event.

Finally if you never get to kill a mind flayer from the event ... what have you missed out on? Killing an orange/red name mob? You dont lose on anything. You can safely ignore this final part and kill mind flayers in the new quests. The first which is unlocked for all now. Cards only drop in these quests i beleive.

PS The new dungeons are level 34 and quite tough but if one really wants to kill a mind flayer go to The Enemy Within. Spoiler i know but the quest been around for over a decade :)

Brasidas

Explore any quest you can on R1 difficulty. If you find an Illithid Invader, kill it and let others on your server know where you found it.
Wouldn't be more fun for people in a big guild to just tell each other about the spawn and not the general player base?

That way they can exclusively get the "fun" of killing the illithid?

Shear-buckler

Finally if you never get to kill a mind flayer from the event ... what have you missed out on? Killing an orange/red name mob? You dont lose on anything. You can safely ignore this final part and kill mind flayers in the new quests.

That is to completely miss the point. Why even have the event in the first place if the participation is so trivial and equivalent to killing any old mind flayer?
No, it's fully reasonable to object to the fact that only a handful of players per server get the opportunity to meaningfully participate in the event.
They could easily have designed the event such that everyone had the chance and reason to hunt down and kill the invaders.

healertank

I know there are many posts like this one so just adding my 2c here

Its a nice enough event and i dont really get all the critcisim

1. I agree the new champs are a bit tough but not the end of the world and only temporary. I played the first unlocked quest and really enjoyed it. I would be in favour in keeping the new champs to these new quests (or add to the random spawn types) but please remove from the "regular" quests alltogether in due course which i beleive is confirmed already.

2. I beleive that killing these champs does move the needle for spawning the Mindflayers so if i am correct even by killing one you are helping
All playes of all levels can assist.

3. When Mindflayers do start to spawn then its a needle in haystack search as they could be anywhere. Actively looking for them as an individual unlikely to proove fruitful unless 100s of players co-ordinate. If you happen to find one by chance post it on the mega thread.

4. Players of all levels can assist in killing the mind flayers. There was some crticism that this is only for end level characters and this is quite the opposite!. If you only have level 32 characters and the quest that spawns the Mindflayer will only accept say maximum level 26 characters ... because of Reaper level restrtictions on spawning then we need lower level characters. If they were to spawn in Kobold Den a level 3 base dungeon in WW ... then we need level 8 max or whatever the reaper restriction is. So not an end game event.

Finally if you never get to kill a mind flayer from the event ... what have you missed out on? Killing an orange/red name mob? You dont lose on anything. You can safely ignore this final part and kill mind flayers in the new quests. The first which is unlocked for all now. Cards only drop in these quests i beleive.

PS The new dungeons are level 34 and quite tough but if one really wants to kill a mind flayer go to The Enemy Within. Spoiler i know but the quest been around for over a decade :)
2. nope... the thrall champs are flavor only. It does nothing towards opening the quests for the event. They have a set number of quests that have the hidden mind flayers in them, and seems they have to be killed a limited small number of times to "drive them back" (guesses are 10 to 20 times only) at which point they don't spawn again. was 8 quests on day 1. Day 2 will most likely be 8 guests again. every 2 it seems days they are unlocking another set of quests for the event to unlock all 4 of the new quests.

4. yes all levels can participate... if you are lucky enough to be in the right level range to be allowed into reaper difficulty of a quest that has 1 hidden mind flayer in it. And if you are lucky enough to get in on the action right away because people are killing them over and over once found like it is going out of style, instead of letting others get in on the action.

your final points: the mind flayers from the event are actually totally different from any other mind flayers I have seen in game, using totally new abilities and even summoning other mind flayers. Lam. testers have said they seem to be similar as the mind flayers in the new extreme challenge dungeons... so at least if you don't get to fight one during the event you can potentially fight them at level cap in the extreme dungeons. But it is a bit of a let down if you don't get to fight at least 1 during the event.

healertank

Wouldn't be more fun for people in a big guild to just tell each other about the spawn and not the general player base?

That way they can exclusively get the "fun" of killing the illithid?
Some people are solo farming over and over when found and then telling others where it was at. No idea why people think they have to "eat all the cake" so no one else can enjoy it.

Amorais

I think because it seems like in-game nobody is sharing any information. Its being kept in-guild or something as even when there is global announcement, nothing appears in chat about it. Doesn't help there is no real global chat channel either. I was on WF yesterday when 2 spawns were found....radio silence in chat despite me asking multiple times.

In fact I can't remember the last time chat was used....at all.