Baldur's Gate III . . .

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
Is insanely incredible.

Remember the first time you ever played an RPG? you just ran over to your friend's house and fired up Final Fantasy and cried when Tellah died. After a hundred RPGs later from Skyrim to the Witcher III you knew deep down in your heart that you'll never get back those first-time feels.

You were.. wrong.

Yes, it's that good. The game sets a totally new bar for RPGs. This game isn't even in the same league or even the same stadium. This game invented a new sport and dominated it. It's so good that other developers are complaining about it because now they have to work x10 times harder to get their games to this new bar.

If you're playing DDO, you absolutely must play BG3. It's literally a life experience.

Wender

How does multiplayer work? Questing in group is what I like the most of DDO, and I've heard that BG3 has a multiplayer online of up to 4 people

Mordenkainen

You can play with your friends and start a campaign together but the save files will be on the host computer and would need that computer again to pick back up. So you'll have to schedule sessions just like in tabletop D&D.

Or... go lobby online multiplayer. Which is like an LFM in DDO. But you have to play a pre-made character. (which kinda sux).

Wender

Sounds like it has been designed mainly as a single-player game. Does it allow character creation and customization similarly to DDO? For example, multiclass, multiple enhancement/specialization paths, etc. I've got my eye on it but still can't tell if all the hype is because of a good implementation of the D&D universe or because of the "choose-your-own-adventure" trend which is so popular in modern videogames.

Mordenkainen

Sounds like it has been designed mainly as a single-player game. Does it allow character creation and customization similarly to DDO? For example, multiclass, multiple enhancement/specialization paths, etc. I've got my eye on it but still can't tell if all the hype is because of a good implementation of the D&D universe or because of the "choose-your-own-adventure" trend which is so popular in modern videogames.
Um, Larian Studios made divinity... so the answer is yes. Let's put it this way, you can choose how your genitals look like in the character builder.

It's the closest thing to D&D short of actually playing D&D.

Mordenkainen

Sneak peak into one of the little adventures I did, wasn't nowhere near as smooth how this guy did it though.

Mordenkainen

:)

A taste of the cusotmization features in the game:

And the music in this game... holy moly!

And the first time I saw Baldur's Gate, the full city-scape view perched astride the sword coast, I seriously gasped out loud. Just sat there for a few minutes taking it in.. albeit I'm playing on a setup close to this:

Gaming-Monitors-e1674162329615.jpg

Last edited:

Wender

:)

A taste of the cusotmization features in the game:

And the music in this game... holy moly!

And the first time I saw Baldur's Gate, the full city-scape view perched astride the sword coast, I seriously gasped out loud. Just sat there for a few minutes taking it in.. albeit I'm playing on a setup close to this:

Gaming-Monitors-e1674162329615.jpg
Yeah that is the main problem for me to play BG3 honestly, I play from my crappy laptop lol but hey, no envy here :cry:

R2006

Yes, the game is incredible. So many choices and environmental interactions. I love the dice rolling and ability checks. Multiple story paths and creative solutions to problems. Insane attention to detail.

Solarpower

Divinity 1 and 2 where the worst RPG games ever before both of Pathfinders arrival...
And Divinity Original Sin 3 (known to the world as "Baldurs Gate 3" for some unknown reason) is the same 💩 as the first 2 games.
Larian people know nothing about creating CRPG and should be banned from the industry. 😤

LeslieWest_GuitarGod

The Tyrs Paladium guild resides in this game.

MULTIPLAYER mode is a DISASTER. We are doing our best to organize groups. Morale is pretty high in our BG3 Chapter.

But there are huge negatives to the game that are impossible to ignore if you've played DDO. In BG3, party Leaders have NO CONTROL. They can't bring in new custom-created characters of anyone who wants to join your party. You need to do that at your character's very first launch. LFG? forget it.

It's basically a solo adventure. It is amazing as a solo game once you get out of the terrible starting area.

I found the character customization mode to be very lacking. I mean in DDO I could get most of my characters to look like actual WWE stars LOL! Even Andre the Giant as a dwarf? Done~ Ric Flair, Wooo Done! Or just about anyone else I wanted. But to me in BG3, they all look similar.

DDO dog walks BG3 as a multiplayer game. It is nowhere even close.

** To highlight my main point above, YOU CANNOT JOIN A PARTY with a custom-made character unless you are there at the very beginning. You can play as a PREMADE-BOT that you cannot customize (at all). THEN, you are stuck in that party FOREVER. You cannot bring your character into someone else's party, ever. The character is GLUED to an adventure.

Like I said, DDO's party system and LFG system are in ANOTHER, FAR GREATER UNIVERSE.

Last edited:

Onyxia2016

BG3 as with other games of the type (Neverwinter, Diablo, etc) are great for solo play. If you like being boxed in to a specific prebuilt character and quest path. Some people like that sort of think I guess. Not my cup of tea.

BG3 is to DDO what Solitaire is to Poker.

Lacci

BG3 as with other games of the type (Neverwinter, Diablo, etc) are great for solo play. If you like being boxed in to a specific prebuilt character and quest path. Some people like that sort of think I guess. Not my cup of tea.

BG3 is to DDO what Solitaire is to Poker.
Did I miss something ? My impression is that BG3 is nothing like Neverwinter or Diablo, in fact, I´d say, DDO is much closer to Diablo than BG3.
Baldurs Gate is a classic, single player RPG with an optional multiplayer mode attached to it.
And from what I´ve read about it, it gives quite a lot of freedom in terms of character building and quest progression. But of course, as it is a story-driven game, it should be more linear than DDO...

Onyxia2016

Did I miss something ? My impression is that BG3 is nothing like Neverwinter or Diablo, in fact, I´d say, DDO is much closer to Diablo than BG3.
Baldurs Gate is a classic, single player RPG with an optional multiplayer mode attached to it.
And from what I´ve read about it, it gives quite a lot of freedom in terms of character building and quest progression. But of course, as it is a story-driven game, it should be more linear than DDO...

It was the linear story mode I was referring to. Yes there is some character customizations but not much when compared to DDO. I have played all the Boulders Gate series even the original from the late 90's when it first game out (very old gamer here). Back then it was very much like Diablo with it's isometric layout. The current game even has Acts (I, II and III) which is very Diablo like.

BG3 is a good game with very nice graphics. It's not DDO but then again it is not supposed to be. It really comes down to the type you prefer and how much customization and choice you what.

R2006

how is stealthplay in BG3?
Pretty interesting. Invis, spells, stealth proficiencies, all come into play. The game displays enemy line of sight in red. If you enter that, any character there makes a stealth check. You can pickpocket and you can also stealth poison enemy consumable items (going for spoiler-free there). There are also zones you aren't "allowed" to enter (stealth or thrown in jail, attacked, given a stern warning, etc) and items that are property of others (you can loot them while stealthed), otherwise you'll be attacked or confronted (if the owner is alive and nearby).

geltril

Can you change the view from overhead to more like ddo? It looks turn based which has its pluses and minuses, mostly minuses.