Been gone a long time, came back because banks were supposed to be updated last year.

Ahpuch

That was not my experience at all. As I've already pointed out, every RPG or MMO has inventory limits. It's alright to get rid of things. They had their time.
My experience with other MMOs is limited but I have never had issues with inventory capacity because none of those other games has had my character return to level 1 and start over as a completely different class. In those games when Level X gear is obtained, you can throw out Level X-1 gear because it is never going to meaningful again. DDO is quite different in this regard and as such comparisons to other games is quite meaningless.

Genkiba

My experience with other MMOs is limited but I have never had issues with inventory capacity because none of those other games has had my character return to level 1 and start over as a completely different class. In those games when Level X gear is obtained, you can throw out Level X-1 gear because it is never going to meaningful again. DDO is quite different in this regard and as such comparisons to other games is quite meaningless.
Well, gear is the main source of power in those games. You can get through epics on level 5 or 10 gear in this game.

Natashaelle

Time Bandit
It's about the cost of 1 or 2 months of VIP. If you can afford a subscription, the cost of the shared bank is not a concern.
Shared bank is included in VIP. So I'm not sure how affording a VIP subscription diminishes the cost of basic shared bank to those who can't.

Marshal_Lannes

You've chosen to start over as a new class, you are certainly not required to. In those other games if you started as a new class you'd pick up more gear as well. The ML5 Feywild 5+ piece set is all anyone needs to go up to 20 in R1 content. You may not be perfectly optimized, but you are certainly well-geared enough to get there without any issues. You can throw out a ton of gear in DDO and I encourage people to do it (its liberating), but as you see from this thread, there are people who don't want to get rid of anything. There is no amount of inventory that will satisfy them, as I stated if DDO gave them 500 slots, they'd ask for 700 because they'd fill up the 500. I also don't buy the "if I ever play X build I need this, argument." You can play any build in the game with a Feywild set. And look, play the game how you want to play it, my point was, inventory space is certainly not a disaster in DDO. It may not satisfy all gamers, but it satisfies most.

Contessor

That was not my experience at all. As I've already pointed out, every RPG or MMO has inventory limits. It's alright to get rid of things. They had their time.
That’s a pretty unfair comparison when most MMOs have a much shorter life expectancy than DDO. Just from sheer age, bank space should be bigger. Then couple that with the Reincarnation system, where content and inventory is not only recycled, but also hoarded for other classes. Then throw on top that components, potions, cosmetics, etc take up inventory spots.

Let’s also throw in gear in this game never truly dies. Old, outdated gear usually get updated. Maybe you like farming? Also let’s consider that add-on apps like Dungeon Helper/Trove was created to help players manage inventory, due to the poor design. That program clearly took a long time to create and is fantastic. But it was made to address a lack of inventory spots.

Making alts to carry more inventory is a poor game design. And having at best equal free and max potential space to other MMOs is not really equal in DDO now, is it. Not a single MMO has the strain on inventory spots like this game.

Last edited:

DBZ

Binge and Purge usually once a year or whenever a big xpack hits you actually want to farm

It hurts but then its all good only then can you be free

You can literally run level 5 feywild gear all the way to 20 now thats like 12 items and bank mule the rest

Cmecu

Well they have to make money somewhere, but yes: this is not my preference for where that should be. I think paywalls should be for extra stuff, not gameplay fundamentals.

But okay, I've got my answer. Thanks.
True they do need to make money.. and they were making money when more people played.. But as time goes on people are losing patience with things that are in desperate need of being addressed. Bank space is one of them, but for some reason they think how people get XP in a dungeon is more important, or revamping the ED system, or adding in Archtypes etc.. While all of these things are nice , its not what people been asking for.. hence why their population has dwindled over the years.

Why is it such a difficult concept for them to understand.. the more material they release, adding more and more items to the game.. we have limited bank space to hold it. Even having an account with 23 characters.. 3 of them I play, the other 20 are mules.. I should not need 20 mules for a game. More items are coming when this new Vecna expansion comes out. Where is it all going? Thats why I will not buy either one of the high bloated price tiers. I probably wont even get the 19.99.. maybe.. It wont be a priority. I know I wont pay anything higher then the 19.99 tier one.

They really need to fix bank space issue. Just make shared bank like 1000 or 2000 items by default. Get rid of TR cache, get rid of Bound to Character items and make them BTA. When buying bank space make it work for all your toons, not just the one. So many improvements they could be making, but they arent.

Col Kurtz

True they do need to make money.. and they were making money when more people played.. But as time goes on people are losing patience with things that are in desperate need of being addressed. Bank space is one of them, but for some reason they think how people get XP in a dungeon is more important, or revamping the ED system, or adding in Archtypes etc.. While all of these things are nice , its not what people been asking for.. hence why their population has dwindled over the years.

Why is it such a difficult concept for them to understand.. the more material they release, adding more and more items to the game.. we have limited bank space to hold it. Even having an account with 23 characters.. 3 of them I play, the other 20 are mules.. I should not need 20 mules for a game. More items are coming when this new Vecna expansion comes out. Where is it all going? Thats why I will not buy either one of the high bloated price tiers. I probably wont even get the 19.99.. maybe.. It wont be a priority. I know I wont pay anything higher then the 19.99 tier one.

They really need to fix bank space issue. Just make shared bank like 1000 or 2000 items by default. Get rid of TR cache, get rid of Bound to Character items and make them BTA. When buying bank space make it work for all your toons, not just the one. So many improvements they could be making, but they arent.
the Legendary sets are a great example as well, of a 1/2 thought out system. There's so many different items and sets, and very few work with most builds. But we don't realize it until our inventory and bank are crying 'uncle' ....then that junk gets eaten by a sentient jewel finally. Tried for weeks to match a Ravenloft set to my build and had to give up. Same with Feywild... autumn, summer , spring, winter= the season of fustration/

Even after dumping all the unused legendary items, my bank was still at 85% capacity... we don't want to re-farm equipment that may take 20 runs or more to drop again.

Then I transferred my hardcore toons...and it took almost 2 hours of character swapping bank management to organize and then delete those characters. OUCH, not fun

Luckily, I have my own solo guild and have an abundance of chests to stick unbound stuff ...like consumables and those sweet dbl slotted craft-ables.

Not really sure how every player could just use only fey lvl5 stuff to complete heroics... trappers need spot/search... brawlers need their strength items... casters need lol.. ect, ect... ?they spend 1k ddo points a month swapping augments in their fey equipment as they lvl?

Wizard

Yeah it's sad, why does DDO focus on the few whales instead of new player aquisition and player retention? A game that focuses on the latter will always have many more players and feel much more alive and MMO-like.

Are the ~100$ bank increases only for milking whales or could the game engine really not handle more players having them?

Even if the storage engine itself can't be updated any time soon there could be solutions for equipment problems. Unbound leveling items (could revitalize economy; sell what you don't need, buy it when you need it); better named aquistions for example with quest runes for equipment (-> bad luck protection), named dropping on quest/chain reward; better mule management; collection system etc.

Guntango

Unbound leveling items (could revitalize economy; sell what you don't need, buy it when you need it); better named aquistions for example with quest runes for equipment (-> bad luck protection), named dropping on quest/chain reward; better mule management; collection system etc.

I think they have this already?

Wizard

If you mean random drops then the chance of getting the right enhancements on the right slot of gear for all your gear, is like 1 in a Million.
If you mean crafting then the cost to craft (time to farm mats) is way too high to constantly craft stuff.
Gear tetris also complicates loot in DDO.

Genkiba

Not really sure how every player could just use only fey lvl5 stuff to complete heroics... trappers need spot/search... brawlers need their strength items... casters need lol.. ect, ect... ?they spend 1k ddo points a month swapping augments in their fey equipment as they lvl?
No need to be optimized while leveling. I only use fortification/feather fall/masters augments, which can be re-used by different builds.

"Curse SSG for making me collect all the things"

Even if they gave 1000-2000 extra spots, it still wouldn't be enough for some. Because now you have room for MORE STUFF.

Wizard

However, for endgame, high reaper quest/ reaper raids you DO need good equipment. And for multiple specs there is not enough space for that either. Especially with all the BTC stuff, artifacts, raid gear.

Guntango

However, for endgame, high reaper quest/ reaper raids you DO need good equipment. And for multiple specs there is not enough space for that either. Especially with all the BTC stuff, artifacts, raid gear.

We've addressed this already. Without purchasing any additional space, you have enough room to store more than 4 full gearsets and random stuff in your bank, keeping 100+ spaces open in your inventory for incidentals, loot and weapon swaps.

Last edited:

Ahpuch

You've chosen to start over as a new class, you are certainly not required to. In those other games if you started as a new class you'd pick up more gear as well. The ML5 Feywild 5+ piece set is all anyone needs to go up to 20 in R1 content. You may not be perfectly optimized, but you are certainly well-geared enough to get there without any issues. You can throw out a ton of gear in DDO and I encourage people to do it (its liberating), but as you see from this thread, there are people who don't want to get rid of anything. There is no amount of inventory that will satisfy them, as I stated if DDO gave them 500 slots, they'd ask for 700 because they'd fill up the 500. I also don't buy the "if I ever play X build I need this, argument." You can play any build in the game with a Feywild set. And look, play the game how you want to play it, my point was, inventory space is certainly not a disaster in DDO. It may not satisfy all gamers, but it satisfies most.
I think stating that people should throw away an item they will want for a future life is misunderstanding how the game works and how people play. It used to be that you would pick up a cool 2 handed sword you might roll up a barbarian and pass it over (or toss it if you didn't want to play that type of char). With TRs you may roll up the barbarian later on this character and not want to pass it over. That is the game that SSG designed. Sure you can play that Barb without saving the 2 handed weapon but that is not how or why people play. If people didn't play to use better toys then why does SSG make attractive new equipment part of any expansion? Encouraging mules to hold that stuff is bad game design.

"Hey kids, no one gets a piece of birthday cake at this party because one of you wants 2 pieces!"

Stating that if you give everyone a 500 slots then a few people will ask for 700 slots is the silliest rational I have read to not give people 500 slots. If 500 is not reasonable then justify that stance directly. Punishing everyone because a few will not be satisfied is not a an actual argument.

Eoin

Imagine how horrible it would be if the default minimum storage in the game allowed a person to store 1 copy of each named item.

Then you would only need to buy more space if you needed it for cosmetics or dual augment blanks or extra copies of named or potions or whatever. And if you only needed 20 items for leveling and R10 endgame, you probably wouldn't need to buy much additional storage.

DBZ

1 heroic feywild set along with a few twink items ravenloft, sharn, cannith crafted should be able to level efficiently to 20 on r1 zergs

All that extra stuff is massive over kill and not needed unless your doing r5+ heroic runs at level which most people are not anymore

I just finished around 50 trs with a bare bones inventory just saves time

Wizard

1 heroic feywild set along with a few twink items ravenloft, sharn, cannith crafted should be able to level efficiently to 20 on r1 zergs

All that extra stuff is massive over kill and not needed unless your doing r5 heroic runs at level which most people are not anymore
It's true that if you have enough PL and RP to not need level appropriate sets anymore , R1 is not a very high bar to clear. Esp. once you are done with class dependent heroic lives and can play the strongest leveling builds for racials, you could theoretically run them all with the same build and gear...

But playstyles are different.

Many people want variety and may need to pull out new gear for almost every life. That's a lot of mule-ing. Gear tetris can make niche items valuable if a piece has just the right stats you still need.

The most fun I ever had in heroics was in a balanced group pushing the skulls. I was glad to have my fully optimized gearset so I could contribute.