Votes: 30 85.7%
  • Fables of the Feywild

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jodro

I bet there is already a post about it, but since there is the offer for free expansion (when it works properly), I want to see what most people think is the best to get.

There are more expansions, but most people would already have the rest thanks to code.

Striga

I like Saltmarsh and Feywild more, but IoD is the most recent and most expensive option. Get that one.

Lazuli

There is not much to debate. If you don't have IoD and you don't plan to buy it with cash for the other shinies like tomes or hirelings, then IoD wins, because it is significantly more expensive than the other expansions.

If you already have IoD or want its accessory shinies, then Feywild, because it is also significantly more expensive than Saltmarsh, which is a mini-expansion.

Saltmarsh has against it:
-Less quests - only 10 quests!
-Lower price - easier to buy
-No raid

Saltmarsh isn't even the best place to farm sentient xp. There was a time when sentient stones had very good drop here, but now it has dropped to ridiculously low levels. The only thing that Saltmarsh has in its favor vs the others is the spark of logic, but I would buy this mini-xpack with points, since it costs the least of all. Saltmarsh is a mini-xpack, the other two are full xpacks.

The fun of quests is subjective. I like the quests in the three packs. In this sense, the quests I like the least are in Vecna, which is not included in the giveaway.

Last edited:

Ying

5000+ hours played
From that list: Dread, hands down. The weapons are the best in the game for 99% of players (including you).

axel15810

IoD is the best choice for most. Newest, most expensive, best gear overall atm of these choices and least likely to go on a deep discount sale. I'd only advise picking feywild or saltmarsh if you have specific gearing reasons for it. But even then, wait and get those on sale. MoTU, Shadowfell, Ravenloft and Sharn expansions were just on sale for 99 points each earlier this year and are likely to be on sale again at some point this summer or holiday so definitely don't use your free expansion turn in on one of those.

Owlbear

Saltmarsh has some really cool named items like Goldcursed Dagger that are upgradeable pretty easy too. Also enjoyed the quests a lot. More than Feywild too be honest. Isle of Dread is probably the best overall for gear and content wise. Haven't played it myself so going to get that one.

woq

Isle of Dread is the best by far, due to the weapons. The gear is also great but the weapons and flexibility are the primary selling points. This is ignoring the higher price point - if we include that it is a nobrainer.

If it comes to enjoyment of quests, I honestly like Feywild the most out of the 3. Better level range as 5-9 reaper than IoD's 7 or Saltmarsh's 3 and I love the "feel" of Feywild. Saltmarsh, to me, is for logic and star/nebula fragments and couple individual items like goldcursed dagger (30+) and the ethereal ring (3), not for fun though I only recently gained access.

I really liked Saltmarsh when I played it on my main account, but now that I have been trying to lvl up my secondary account trapper, I think I'm going for the Isle of Dread. I've been hearing a lot about Feywild, how beautiful it is, and the new Favor faction intrigues me, but the DP price and the level range suites better for my both accounts. Plus, I have fond memories of playing it on PnP (or trying to play, our DM wasn't that interested in following even the most basic of rules, which is why I now own his "Island of Danger" (yes, that's how it is translated in Finnish version) module).

KcSDsHQ.jpeg

Bracelet

Curious why no one mentions Sharn. It is my go to pack once I hit 17. It has more than enough XP to finish the last two levels of a life. With only a couple notable exceptions, the quests are quick. I am leaning towards it for three alt accounts I use for farming.

Ostwind-Cannith

isle of dread. the level 7 set is better than any of the level 10 ravenloft sets, and the dinosaur bone weapons are better than a lot of raid weapons at endgame. as to Sharn it was avaliable for like 99 ddo points the past few times they offered the bonus code for all the packs - I think most players who used the code already have sharn.

Fizban

Of the three options Isle of Dread is the best one in my opinion. However, I still think that Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft are far better.

Last edited:

woq

Curious why no one mentions Sharn. It is my go to pack once I hit 17. It has more than enough XP to finish the last two levels of a life. With only a couple notable exceptions, the quests are quick. I am leaning towards it for three alt accounts I use for farming.
Sharn gear 15-30 is stellar. Sharn is the best source of experience between 15 and 20. Sharn is glorious RXP at cap. Would have awesome filigrees if they actually dropped. All in all, an excellent expansion.

But it would be a poor suggestion since it comes on sale as an older expansion frequently enough for 99 poing poings.

Last edited:

Solarpower

Feywild / Ravenloft / Sharn. (Ravenloft is the best choice here if you don't have it already.)
Got them and want lvl 32 stuff -> IoD.
Got them and dont care about lvl 32 stuff -> roll a dice and choose whatever you feel you want.

PS. You'll need Saltmarsh only if you lack of XP at levels 3-5. No other use for that pack, really.

Last edited:

mbartol

Murder Hobo
The OP mentioned why the other explanations were not included. Basically, since all expansions up to and including Sharn were made available for 99 points (which is essentially free) during the free quest code availability period, most people either got it or would probably be better off waiting for it to be offered again.

Bracelet

Sharn [] was avaliable for like 99 ddo points the past few times they offered the bonus code for all the packs…
Ah. That’s a good point. There are a lot of votes for Isle of Dread. I don’t want it just to be about price. But there seems to be consensus about the gear, which is an important factor. (Personally I find Slavers Gear to be adequate).