Best quests for XP / past lives

Hoccleve

I am very much not the kind of player who zergs off a past life in minimum time. However, it's handy / interesting to know what those who do judge as the best XP route. I can find some very old lists, but nothing recent. Anyone got a link, or fancy putting together a list?

droid327

In a general sense, the best route is usually "run Sagas at base level + 2". Newer quests tend to be better XP than very old ones, but there's not really a clear cut "optimal" path. Most quests are pretty comparable to each other, so sometimes its just a matter of what your build is well or poorly suited for, or what you're bored with running.

That being said, there are a few quests that tend to stand above the rest around the same level, and are always worth running, and often worth running twice in a row (Reaper and Elite), assuming you know them well:

- Kobolds New Ringleader
- Fire Caves Part 1
- Spies
- Shadow Crypt (assuming you have an opener account for it so you can skip the flagging quests)
- Jungle of Khyber
- Amber Temple
- Litany
- Mirror Darkly
- Grimm and Barrett
- Members Only

And some others that might be included on that list as well

Last edited:

Lazuli

I generally don't repeat quests, it helps me avoid boredom and increases my favor. My only two exceptions are New kobold ringleader if I don't have enough daily xp stones to go up to lv 3, and Shadow crypt which I play r1/elite/hard. Mirror and Epic spies only if I do serial ERs, because without the first terminations re-leveling is sometimes tedious.

I could give you my leveling route, but it is not designed to be as fast as possible, but rather to achieve a nice combination of favor and speed, so I don't think it is what you are looking for.

But I agree sagas are good investment, for the additional xp of saga.

TavernBrawler

I am very much not the kind of player who zergs off a past life in minimum time. However, it's handy / interesting to know what those who do judge as the best XP route. I can find some very old lists, but nothing recent. Anyone got a link, or fancy putting together a list?
After running more than 100 past lives, I now resort to ottos boxes. I have given up on the fact SSG is not going to remove the XP penalty for second, third and subsequent lives. So this is how my 1-20 looks like:

Level 1 - 4 : Gold dice rolls + saved xp stones
Use ottos box. Zoom to level 19.8
Sharn 1 and some cogs quest to level cap
Remove all items from reincarnation cache (1+ hour)
TR
Rinse and repeat

Going to be 3x completionist of everything soon(R).

Lazuli

The problem is if we compile a list of the best quests to run for XP, those quests will be nerfed lol. They literally did that a few years ago, though it was technically the top 10 most run quests. Pretty sure they were all very good xp, though 1 or 2 might've been for loot or something (jibbers?).
This sums up well the climate of trust that the desvs have created. It's the reason why the builds section is dead, and only a few dare to post builds.

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
You don't get much of a power increase after 80 or so past lives (Racial Complete wih 14 APs+the pertinent epic PL's + class completionist for +2 ability points across he board).

80 PL's is doable in 2 years of casual 2 hour a night gaming.

Onyxia2016

You can ask this question of 10 players and unless everyone plays the same, you will get 10 different answers.
Play what is fun for you and your build. There are quests I actively avoid depending on the class.
I also do not take leveling short cuts with the exception of XP stones from daily dice I have saved. That is usually enough to jump right into Saltmarsh.

I never buy Otto's boxes. To me that defeats the reason and purpose of actually playing the game. I am not saying others are wrong for using them, only that I do not. If I ever get to that point, I would find another game to actually play or watch TV.

T.O.

My personal list doesn't do the rinse and repeat. Just runs 30% xp pots and vip. And we rarely have to do Shadow Crypt more than once. Other than now running Catastrophe at lvl 6 now instead of Freshen the air. This probably the most comprehensive list I have seen. And I made it. I am not a fan of doing the quest repeat method for gaining xp. I don't do Saltmarsh nor IoD till Leg levels. We also gain around 140k in RxP per 1-20.

1-20 Leveling guide.

mikarddo

Here is what I mainly run (sometimes I add in deviations for the novelty).

Assuming 30%/50% pot, often duo, sometimes solo leading whatever pugs join.

Preferably some xp stones but I am running out..

Harbour (Ringleader REHN, others just R, skipping some, doing most)
Waterworks (skip 4th if solo)

Take level 5
3bc (FC1 REHN (really fast duo, still fast solo), Ghost REH duo as optionals are that good or just R if solo, most other R)
4 short House K quests mostly for the favor
Delaras 1

Take level 8
Delaras 2-4, Tear, Gwylands, Some/most of Isle of D
Spies
Von1-4
WPM
SC REHN (have opener on 2nd account)

Take level 12
TS (shortcut)
Ravenloft
Sands (not chains, not adq)
Dead Shall Rise
Relic
Diplo chain

Take level 15
GH (sans crucible)
Grim, Sub, Multi
Necro 4
Litany

Take 17
Missing (sometimes chain, sometimes just missing)
Sharn 1
Cogs

Take 18
Sharn 2

If not 20 add a few more
Sane Asylum, Members Only (w bluff), Wheloon

Much has to do with running quests that are objectively fast, but much also has to do with running quests you know well :)

Comments and ideas are most welcome

Dunspartacus

Here is what I mainly run (sometimes I add in deviations for the novelty).

Assuming 30%/50% pot, often duo, sometimes solo leading whatever pugs join.

Preferably some xp stones but I am running out..

Harbour (Ringleader REHN, others just R, skipping some, doing most)
Waterworks (skip 4th if solo)

Take level 5
3bc (FC1 REHN (really fast duo, still fast solo), Ghost REH duo as optionals are that good or just R if solo, most other R)
4 short House K quests mostly for the favor
Delaras 1

Take level 8
Delaras 2-4, Tear, Gwylands, Some/most of Isle of D
Spies
Von1-4
WPM
SC REHN (have opener on 2nd account)

Take level 12
TS (shortcut)
Ravenloft
Sands (not chains, not adq)
Dead Shall Rise
Relic
Diplo chain

Take level 15
GH (sans crucible)
Grim, Sub, Multi
Necro 4
Litany

Take 17
Missing (sometimes chain, sometimes just missing)
Sharn 1
Cogs

Take 18
Sharn 2

If not 20 add a few more
Sane Asylum, Members Only (w bluff), Wheloon

Much has to do with running quests that are objectively fast, but much also has to do with running quests you know well :)

Comments and ideas are most welcome
I've actually been on the fence about adding Delera's to my leveling path for a while now, but haven't been able to decide if its worth it. You think its better than tangleroot?