Better Reincarnation

Chibuike

Hey guys,

I was thinking about restarting to play ddo again, been going on about a 3 month break now but with the expansion coming out soon i thought i would log into my character to play. I log in, see my level 20 character hop on it, start doing LoD for the token just to realize i need to do this quest or other similar quest about 13 more times to be able to get to the content i do want to play. Logged off.

Then i remember this is exactly the reason i stopped playing 3 months ago, i got my character to level 20, got bored of farming tokens (did 3 lives back to back quickly) and closed the game. I talked with a couple of guildies that havent played in a while and they all seem to agree that tring is a chore to them and is part of the reason they havent logged in a while.

I really think that after all the time in this game, reincarnation needs to be free. Who actually buys the reincarnation hearts other then players who really don't want to grind but do want to play, or new players who don't know about the 20-30 quests that gives these tokens to allow them to reincarnate.

That's without talking about the awful bank experience of reincarnation. For a game focused around the whole reincarnation system, i think DDO really needs to take time to revisit the whole process. I feel like the reincarnation process is really a part of the burnout i keep on getting of DDO. I seem to only want to play hardcore now because the main servers are such a chore.

For those that are gonna say to just level to 30 and i won't have this issue, the fastest way to level to 30 usually don't include the token quests, and if you do include some of them, it's usually not enough to tr anyways.

I think all in all, just removing the requirement to get tokens to tr or maybe just putting tokens in all quests done in epic or even have a way to earn your reincarnation while leveling up would make it so much better. Also maybe revisiting that tr cache as well wouldn't hurt.

Upvote 1

Chibuike

So you want to play and you don't want to grind.
You've identified the solution - and there's a discount on store stuff now ;)
That's not what i'm saying here at all. I want to play and i want to grind meaningful stuff, like mats or gear. But farming tokens serves no purpose.
Grind with purpose like finding a new piece of gear is rewarding, grind to grind is a chore.

Especially the fact that only a couple of old quests that most players don't play except to get tokens, drop tokens. So you have to purposefully dedicate a good chunk of hours to farm those tokens just to be able to play the game more. Feels super unrewarding.

Usually while leveling in epics i'll run Von1-4, maybe sometime LoD and maybe i'll do a Wiz King so that gives me a big total of 9 tokens (accounting for those fragments). That's if i level in epics, if a guildie is low level and wants to play, ill have to actually spend a couple of hours just farming Von3 and LoD for those tokens.

Am i actually the only one that lacks to find the fun content there? You disagree that there needs to be a better solution to reincarnation?

Ahpuch

I understand what you are saying but there are 29 quests that drop tokens. You can run a variety. If you run to 30 and do an Epic + Heroic/Racial, it works out. If you want to optimize your time then paying a few bucks seems like a reasonable tradeoff. And, If you run an LFM asking for tokens from those that don't need them, you will likely get some extras thrown your way just for helping others through the quests.

Not that I would be sad if hearts were free but I just don't see that as a likely thing to happen. It is better to come up with a plan that doesn't assume that they will be free. I would be fine if they dumped tokens and just used the commendations for all hearts rather than having 2 systems.

Chibuike

I understand what you are saying but there are 29 quests that drop tokens. You can run a variety. If you run to 30 and do an Epic + Heroic/Racial, it works out. If you want to optimize your time then paying a few bucks seems like a reasonable tradeoff. And, If you run an LFM asking for tokens from those that don't need them, you will likely get some extras thrown your way just for helping others through the quests.

Not that I would be sad if hearts were free but I just don't see that as a likely thing to happen. It is better to come up with a plan that doesn't assume that they will be free. I would be fine if they dumped tokens and just used the commendations for all hearts rather than having 2 systems.
I absolutely agree with using commendations for hearts as well, since those do drops from every quests as a reward, and i do agree that i can get the grind done quicker by either multi boxing accounts or opening up the LFM. What I'm trying to say is that there needs to be a better way to do things other then only 29 old quests to allow you to play the game more. It forces you to play about 16 of those 29 quests every life you do where i would prefer to do content i enjoy.

Using commendations would be a great solution to that issue i agree. I'm probably just day dreaming to think that DDO would ever give us free reincarnation and allow us to play the content we want to play and enjoy 😅 .

seph1roth5

tokens are incredibly easy to get. If you ever go to 30+ and etr you'll get a nice stockpile. If you just don't want to do another way that results in more tokens uh....oh well?

comfy

the comfortable
One option is to run Iconic lives for a while. I've been doing that, and have more tokens than I can shake a stick at. Just run token quests when you hit 20 as part of your levelling path.
the fastest way to level to 30 usually don't include the token quests
If your priority is the "fastest way" then just buy hearts from the store. Doesn't get any quicker than that. :p

Eltronin

Kobolds don't matter
You don't mind grinding mats or gear but, you don't want to grind tokens. There is no difference, you grind the same quests over and over again until you finally get that piece of gear. Tokens are just as meaningful as the other items for game play.

gravisrs

From DDO EU servers
Doing each quest that gives a token - only once - gives you more than 20 tokens (and few epic levels in the meantime). I wouldn't call it a grind, at least typical for MMOs.
Reincarnation path never meant to be this-low hanging fruit anyway :)

But you are right that clearing reincarnation cache is a PITA - there should be a button "move all to my inventory and bank"

How about option to turn seeds to both Heroic (Wood + blood) hearts also?

l_remmie

As far as grinds go getting epic tokens is very very mild. Many players pass them to you and some will happily join your lfg just to help. No shame in asking for help.

They are never going to make reincarnation free. TR Hearts are one of those main items that pay the bills.
(In fact Hasbro and Wotc would say this aspect is heavily ...undermonetized)

Karadon

Old Paladin
i want to grind meaningful stuff, like mats or gear.
Then you want Devil Assault

I love Devil Assault because in addition to as much as two whole tokens per run you get ALL of the mats to apply to a GreenSteel blank to make great stuff for your TR.