Better Skaldic Rage

Cranjis

Unique Build and Cosmetic Connoisseur
Every time I make a melee-centric bard and put points into Warchanter, I almost always choose the Con bonus over Skaldic Rage. Why? Because SR gives a bonus to STR, and almost every melee bard that people make nowadays is either DEX or CHA based, making that +4 STR bonus from SR a tad useless.

I would like to suggest that, especially with all the new trees and changes we have seen, maybe give players a choice via a multiselector when they activate the SR enhancement. Give the choice between a STR, DEX, and CHA bonus, rather than straight STR. Then I believe more people will choose that option.

Upvote 5

Pandjed

I think about every player would be happy, if any rage would give an insight bonus to damage and tactical DC equal half the character's STR modifier. Lack of STR battle trance is one of the primary reasons why many ppl use other stats and putting that to any rage would shift the meta completely, I assume.

nym_craian

Maybe you could amp up the ballad effects just on the bard, even in multiple steps (as Nature's Protector's Rage of the Beast evolves).

For example, under Skaldic range, adds +50% to Ballad effects only for the bard: Song of Heroism (+3 untyped* bonus), Arcane Shield (+9 resists), Ironskin (DR 9/-), Recklessness (+9 Music bonus Doublestrike/Doubleshot, +13 USP), Fleeting Footsteps (+22% Action Boost bonus movement speed) & Chant of Power (+9% Music bonus to melee/ranged damage, and spell critical chance).

Or even increase tactical DC, melee/ranged power, PRR/MRR...

I would prefer a shorter but more effective frenzy.

Last edited:

nym_craian

Well, except for the fact that frenzy is now an imbue toggle.
You're right it could be Frenzied Berserker style.

e.g
Duration: 20 sec + 6 sec per inspiration level
Core 1: Skaldic rage grant core number (or half CHA modifier) rage bonus to all tactical DC. Does not prevent spellcasting (maybe Decrease caster level with 2 for rage duration).
Tier 3: Choose High Spirits or +[1/2/3] bonus imbue dice for skaldic rage duration.
Tier 5: Choose Kingly Recovery or Amplified Ballad (+50% ballad effect for skaldic rage duration).

Last edited:

songswrath

I like this but war chanter also needs CRT profile modifications. It is lame you have to deep multi and give up wars tier 5 or be pigeonholed into swf and light armor. Bring back the classic rocker build

Cranjis

I like this but war chanter also needs CRT profile modifications. It is lame you have to deep multi and give up wars tier 5 or be pigeonholed into swf and light armor. Bring back the classic rocker build
Agreed there, most melee tree t5s or cores give some bonus to threat or multi, but Warchanter is left with a measly +1 multiplier on 19-20 as a t5. It'd be nice to maybe get a bonus to multiplier in the cores, as swash already focuses heavily on range.

On another note, it'd kinda lame that Northwind not only just triggers on vorpal attacks, but it can only go off (at a minimum) of once per 18 seconds, as if vorpal hits were extremely common.

Vox

lv 18 core could be a good spot for crit range/multi.

I think the capstone, competence hp %, and the expensive tree costs need a revamp, more than just the rage/con selector.

droid327

I'll just piggyback to say Boast needs to have its animation removed so it can be actually useful like BT

The +1 19-20 is actually nice if you can stack it with crit profile elsewhere, like swash or vkf or holy sword

droid327

Right, well, a simple +1 to multiplier would do a lot better.

No it wouldnt, because then it wouldnt stack with the +1 mult you'd get from any of those sources

You'd make a pure bard Swash handaxe build possible without Kensei, that's about it :)

Cranjis

No it wouldnt, because then it wouldnt stack with the +1 mult you'd get from any of those sources

You'd make a pure bard Swash handaxe build possible without Kensei, that's about it :)
I am currently a stormsinger warchanter. I don't get swashbuckler. This enhancement would be for those like me, who aren't swashbuckling. Maybe offer a choice of either a 19-20 multiplier boost, or a competence bonus?