BG3 CEO/DEV Hasbro laid off everyone we worked with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimbere

Still don't envy you. I will tell you this you talk tough but I am most certain you and I are cut from a different jib. Like you know you soak your hands in palm olive after work. lol
So I list some of the benefits and an estimate on how much money working from home saves me and your take away is I'm "talking tough"? 🤦‍♂️

This went downhill quickly.

Then you doubled down on that silliness by throwing out a random assumption about my hand care habits in what appears to be some weird attempt at insulting my "manliness"? And you think that helps make your point? Did we suddenly time travel back to the 80s? Or maybe the 50s was more your speed with John Wayne as a role model?

Apparently you know more about hand oils than me. What is palm olive oil? I've never seen nor heard of that. Is that a hybrid mix of palm oil and olive oil?

You do know that palm trees and olive trees are two different things, right? Or, were you referring to Palmolive dishwashing soap but misspelled it and confused it for oil instead of soap?

Oil handcare expertise aside, I do have a few other thoughts about your response:
  • A) I'm nowhere near insecure enough for that to be even a mildly effective insult. I don't need any validation of my toughness on an internet forum about a D&D game. Since you're trying to compare *jibs* and went straight to "talking tough" however, it seems that maybe you have some insecurities in this area? You may want to consider discussing that with a professional.

• B) Since you don't know me, your assumption is based on complete ignorance. That you're willing to roll with it anyway says a lot more about you than it does me. Nothing it says is good. Not that it really matters, but you're also pretty far off base about me with that assumption so you're batting 0 for 2.
For the record, I'm pretty sure that NONE of us who are happily working from home care about, nor even want, your "envy". I don't measure my own self-worth or happiness by how much other people evny me. WFH has been a nice QoL upgrade for me. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

You do you though. If you're happy going into the office every day, great! I'm happy that you're happy with it.

Last edited:

Kimbere

I do wonder if in the long term we aren't shooting ourselves in the foot but the young not getting the mentoring in the office that they used to. Us older people working from home is fine.

Then again, I could just be an old man yelling at clouds.
There's definitely some validity to this concern.

However, I think this problem starts long before the current generations make it to their first office job.

More and more colleges have started offering classes that teach interpersonal and social skills for an office environment, how to dress professionally, etc. https://hechingerreport.org/colleges-step-in-to-fill-students-social-skills-gaps/

Think about that. College students are paying good money to learn social skills and how to dress properly for a business/office setting. These are the things previous generations learned from their parents, their first part-time high school jobs, etc. Now? Not so much apparently

It's gotten bad enough now that some of the more prestigious businesses are including office etiquette and proper office attire training as part of their onboarding process.

It's definitely a problem, but the lack of mentoring seems to be starting at home, long before college these days.

Br4d

High paid for some.

Iniquitous for the vast majority.

And it's not The West as a whole. Some countries such as Norway manage to do much better than others.

Certainly the UK, for one, is an absolute disgrace and only getting worse. We get the government we deserve, true, but when publicly funded broadcasters become government stooges that skews matters toward the self interest of the rich and powerful, and perpetuates the vicious cycle which sees the super rich and child poverty as deliberate outputs of the same political and economic system.

Then, they distract the poor from righteous rage by blaming "outsiders" aided and abetted by a compliant and complicit media.

Whilst the real bad actors gleefully trouser millions.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

The worldwide system right now makes wealth the only important factor in outcomes. It's determinate. This is true in Democracies and in Dictatorships.

Smokewolf

Don't get me wrong I like BG3 and enjoy playing it for its gaming content. I have no idea why the game developers went so far down the path for the level of sexual content in it. This is a major turn-off for me and so not needed.
BG3 is an adult themed game. If your wanting Disney levels of safe fantasy play go elsewhere, and leave everyone else's enjoyment of the BG3 untouched.

Smokewolf

link here

What is going on at WOTC?
Looks like going forward, BG3 will not be continuing forward with quality content. Rather, HASBRO would rather squeeze the life out of it for every dime they can get.

IMO The Dev's should spite Hasbro by making their own company.

Scrag

You do know that palm trees and olive trees are two different things, right? Or, were you referring to Palmolive dishwashing soap but misspelled it and confused it for oil instead of soap?
Just sayin (didn't start this convo), there was a commercial where a hand model would soak their hands in palmolive. That was some super weird ad, and it went on for decades. At least from 1968 to 1992.

I just use whatever soap is next to the sink, and thats Good Enough For Me. :) Back then, people wore long yellow gloves which always got water inside them to do dishes. Its like, do you use the weird soapy water in your gloves while you wash dishes so that your fingers get so pruny and become more susceptible to cuts?

WEIR.

Kimbere

Just sayin (didn't start this convo), there was a commercial where a hand model would soak their hands in palmolive. That was some super weird ad, and it went on for decades. At least from 1968 to 1992.

I just use whatever soap is next to the sink, and thats Good Enough For Me. :) Back then, people wore long yellow gloves which always got water inside them to do dishes. Its like, do you use the weird soapy water in your gloves while you wash dishes so that your fingers get so pruny and become more susceptible to cuts?

WEIR.
Heh, I remember that ad and yeah, it ran for years.

Col Kurtz

Unbridled Toxic Capitalism. Welcome to USA 2023.
while I feel bad for people losing their jobs... computer gaming jobs are often fly by night.

I was working at a local Hospital that got bought out and 2 months later they let go 278 people (in 5 diff facilities) people that had been there 20-30 years some of them. My job got 'eliminated'. (ended up good 4 me/got a better job)

Holy Cross.. sheesh >was more like Holy Sh*t !

Br4d

The problem is that jobs are not fundamentally tied to the greater good of society. They are tied instead to the maximization of profits, which frequently undermine the greater good of society although usually not by intent.

The argument that competitive outcomes require maximization of profits ignores the fact that legislation that curbs that drive does not fundamentally alter the outcomes involved, it just limits the excesses involved.

In other words the most competitive business under that legislation is still the most competitive and will still maintain it's hold on the competition, just at a significantly less abusive level.

The economy in which CEO's made just 50x the average worker's wages was just as fundamentally sound as the current economy, it just distributed the fruits of labor much more equitably.

Status
Not open for further replies.