BG3 CEO/DEV Hasbro laid off everyone we worked with

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.O.

Let's see if you understand. Hasbro has lost 10% this year, yes, but WOTC has had record profits. So there is no reason to cut the company that is precisely the one that gives Hasbro the most benefits. None except greed.
As it is WOTC headquarters are a area that is about to see a huge downturn for 2024. All of the major players in town have stopped their real estate improvement till at least 2025 and have laid off employees in the thousands. If you are wondering the companies rhyme with Schmoogle, Schmacebook, Schmicrosoft, and Schmamazon. And a lot of minors too. These companies have also seen their commercial real estate portfolios drop like a rock. Don't want to return to the office cool here is your pink slip.

Last edited:

Oliphant

My employer was able to save a bunch on building costs by figuring out working from home was working great and then that meant the department would actually fit on one of the floors of this new amazing building that was recently built by the parent organization. Now we're on one floor of the most amazing building in town, saving a bunch of money, and we couldn't all come back to the office if we wanted to due to lack of space, but its not a problem because plenty of people don't want to be hanging out at an office located in a car congested area where parking is a constant challenge and cost. I just heard a radio progam last night saying companies that adapted to a more digital friendly work environment are massively outperforming those that choose to stare like Saruman into a Pallantir of their own hate for people working at home, refusing to adapt.

Arkat

Founder & Super Hero
Don't get me wrong I like BG3 and enjoy playing it for its gaming content. I have no idea why the game developers went so far down the path for the level of sexual content in it. This is a major turn-off for me and so not needed.
I was sad there was no PG version of Karlochs dialogue.
They really should have added an option turn off all romancing if that kind of thing makes you uncomfortable.

Personally, I don't mind it a whole lot, but it is distracting.

My wife can't stand that kind of thing in the games she plays, however.

Teh_Troll

Capitalism is about putting pennies on our eyes so everyone is separated from the consequences of their decisions, to the extent of not even having to look at what their decisions do to people, creatures, nature. Capital may be the pressure that pushes towards certain outcomes but shareholders really aren't in control. CEOs and their adjacent are mostly running companies with little skin in the game raiding everyone, above and below. The people at the bottom can see low low prices while all the cut corners are hidden and we all collectively consume fake garbage at a scale that is obviously pushing us into a new epoch of the planet.
If the amount of ignorance in this post could be converted into electricity it would end our dependence on fossil fuels.

Teh_Troll

The most frequent assumption when talking about 'capitalism' is balanced association of limited Common-Sense Governmental oversight... the problem is we live in an age where ethics & idealist restraint has been utterly abandoned... virtually anything can be justified if you just argue it convincingly enough.
If you think we need government oversight of a fricking toy company you really need to evaluate your priorities.

• Haha
Reactions: DJH

T.O.

My employer was able to save a bunch on building costs by figuring out working from home was working great and then that meant the department would actually fit on one of the floors of this new amazing building that was recently built by the parent organization. Now we're on one floor of the most amazing building in town, saving a bunch of money, and we couldn't all come back to the office if we wanted to due to lack of space, but its not a problem because plenty of people don't want to be hanging out at an office located in a car congested area where parking is a constant challenge and cost. I just heard a radio progam last night saying companies that adapted to a more digital friendly work environment are massively outperforming those that choose to stare like Saruman into a Pallantir of their own hate for people working at home, refusing to adapt.
I have always wondered what it is like to sleep at work. Not suggesting you sleep while on the clock. But jeez your home is a office. I don't envy you.
I enjoy the separation of work and home. Your way sounds like, what one might call very single serving.

Kimbere

I have always wondered what it is like to sleep at work. Not suggesting you sleep while on the clock. But jeez your home is a office. I don't envy you.
I enjoy the separation of work and home. Your way sounds like, what one might call very single serving.
Yeah! It really suuucks to:
  • Work in my own, dedicated, quiet office space in my own house versus an office full of noise and random interruptions
  • Listen to whatever music at whatever volume I want without irritating my co-workers or needing to wear headphones/airpods all day
  • Sleep in an extra 30 minutes
  • Get *home* *after* work 30 minutes sooner
  • Avoid devaluing my car by >9k miles/year
  • Save ~$1500/year on gas for the car
  • Save >$2000/year on maintenance, tires, etc. for the car
  • Save >$1000/year on dress clothes
  • Prep lunch in my own kitchen versus the office break room
    • Office Break Room - AKA a bio hazard lab created by adult children who don't know how to clean up after themselves
  • Do house chores during my lunch break to free up more time in the evenings to do fun stuff with my wife
    • Or shave, shower, etc. during my lunch break and sleep in 60 minutes instead of just the 30 minutes saved by not commuting
    • Or walk the neighborhood for fresh air instead of the exhaust fume laden parking lots and roads of the office industrial park
    • Or run on the treadmill
    • Or Netflix and chill
    • Or play DDO etc. etc.
You're right. I don't know what I was thinking.

Gaining a major increase in flexibility and lunch break options, freeing up 10 hours of my life per week for more enjoyable and productive activities, and saving thousands of dollars per year is just awful!...

P.S. My dedicated home office setup is far nicer and more comfortable than my office at work. Work doesn't buy $1500 office chairs, $1000 motorized standing desks, and triple 27" monitors for everyone.

Last edited:

HoopleHead

If you think we need government oversight of a fricking toy company you really need to evaluate your priorities.
I can do that... if you work on reading comprehension... or did you not see
"...the problem is we live in an age where ethics & idealist restraint has been utterly abandoned...."
My point being that we can no longer count on Companies & Corporations to do right by their employees or their customers...
Used to be you worked a job for 25-30 years then retired with pension, now you can retire and have nothing to show for it because brokerages literally gamble with your savings and then pocket the profits while passing the losses back down to you... This isn't about Governmental oversight, this is about holding Corporate level Management accountable when they ransack everything not bolted down.
I had an Amana microwave I got from my Grandmother, it was made in 1971 and could hold a full sized bail of hay. It stopped working this year during that massive lightning/wind storm last spring... Companies used to make things to last... now they make things to get them thru a sales cycle.

popejubal

• Work in my own, dedicated, quiet office space in my own house versus an office full of noise and random interruptions
  • Listen to whatever music at whatever volume I want without irritating my co-workers or needing to wear headphones/airpods all day
    • AKA a bio hazard lab created by adult children who don't know how to clean up after themselves
  • Do house chores during my lunch break to free more time in the evenings to do fun stuff with my wife
    • Or shave, shower, etc. during my lunch break and sleep in 60 minutes instead of just the 30 minutes saved by not commuting
    • Or walk the neighborhood for fresh air instead of the exhaust fume laden parking lots and roads of the office industrial park
    • Or Netflix and chill
    • Or play DDO etc. etc.

Gaining a major increase in flexibility and lunch break options, freeing up 10 hours of my life per week for more enjoyable and productive activities, and saving thousands of dollars per year is just awful!...

P.S. My dedicated home office setup is far nicer and more comfortable than my office at work. Work doesn't buy $1500 office chairs, $1000 motorized standing desks, and triple 27" monitors for everyone.
I'm right with you on this. I'm more productive and more comfortable working from home.

My wife struggles with one thing with her WFH - She's constantly tempted to hop on and take care of something for work when she's done work for the day (or the weekend). I'm hourly, so I'm not allowed to work more than my 40, but she's salaried so she doesn't have anyone external telling her that she has to stop and go enjoy herself.

Br4d

The BG3 staff was always going to be a wipeout after it released and all the bug-fixing was done. Huge studio there and very expensive to maintain without a full project to work on. They said early on that this was not going to be a succession of DLC's - they were doing it all on the first run.

The rest of the staff cuts are mostly vets who have gotten very pricey in a market where AI is emerging and many young people are struggling to find work. The senior staff cuts in management should be done every 5 years minimum. Probably every project.

Oliphant

Larian Studios who developed BG3 licensed the DnD IP from WotC. Larian's leader was the one that tweeted about this, they were not the ones laid off. WotC staff were laid off. Larian is working on other games now.

Teh_Troll

• AKA a bio hazard lab created by adult children who don't know how to clean up after themselves
  • Do house chores during my lunch break to free more time in the evenings to do fun stuff with my wife
    • Or Netflix and chill
    • Or play DDO etc. etc.

I do wonder if in the long term we aren't shooting ourselves in the foot but the young not getting the mentoring in the office that they used to. Us older people working from home is fine.

Then again, I could just be an old man yelling at clouds.

Oliphant

I agree that onboarding for new employees, and most significantly for young people, working from home presents a major challenge.

TavernBrawler

I do wonder if in the long term we aren't shooting ourselves in the foot but the young not getting the mentoring in the office that they used to. Us older people working from home is fine.

Then again, I could just be an old man yelling at clouds.
The young dont even want to work and I dont blame them - salaries in most companies are bordering on slave labour, they come out of college with sky high student loans and the moment they become successful the government takes 40% of their salary (in the UK). The West has been successful in creating a high-tax economy but failed to create a high-paid, high QoL environment.

Jack Jarvis Esquire

High paid for some.

Iniquitous for the vast majority.

And it's not The West as a whole. Some countries such as Norway manage to do much better than others.

Certainly the UK, for one, is an absolute disgrace and only getting worse. We get the government we deserve, true, but when publicly funded broadcasters become government stooges that skews matters toward the self interest of the rich and powerful, and perpetuates the vicious cycle which sees the super rich and child poverty as deliberate outputs of the same political and economic system.

Then, they distract the poor from righteous rage by blaming "outsiders" aided and abetted by a compliant and complicit media.

Whilst the real bad actors gleefully trouser millions.

T.O.

• Or Netflix and chill
    • Or play DDO etc. etc.

Still don't envy you. I will tell you this you talk tough but I am most certain you and I are cut from a different jib. Like you know you soak your hands in palm olive after work. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.