Blackrazor vs. Outburst

Driaza

Just need a couple more shards and time to decide

So ... Reflection of Blackrazor or Outburst for my THF Paladin? Ignoring the set bonus on Outburst which i could still get otherwise.

Base damage Outburst slightly ahead by 1.1 but thats not that much.
Augment wise the Outburst slightly better with Purple vs Red but thats extremely minor.

Overwhelming Stealer of souls + Vampirsm 3 seems pretty tempting vs all the Lightning and Thunder stuff

Planar seering upgraded to Warp Souls does not appeal that much either on Outburst

What do you think?

Im leaning Reflection but not sure....

Or is there any other better Two Hander?

Redtalktree

Just need a couple more shards and time to decide

So ... Reflection of Blackrazor or Outburst for my THF Paladin? Ignoring the set bonus on Outburst which i could still get otherwise.

Base damage Outburst slightly ahead by 1.1 but thats not that much.
Augment wise the Outburst slightly better with Purple vs Red but thats extremely minor.

Overwhelming Stealer of souls + Vampirsm 3 seems pretty tempting vs all the Lightning and Thunder stuff

Planar seering upgraded to Warp Souls does not appeal that much either on Outburst

What do you think?

Im leaning Reflection but not sure....

I made that THF pali, using reflection and was underwelmed, so no don't do it unless you a bladeforged pali using GS, I just use dino crafted GS and it barely makes a diff, rather wished I made a Dino Falchion instead (am out of bones atm and runes to get it), reflection is only 4.8W and outburst is 5.4W dino is 5.2W, its the Crit damage and multiplier that makes all the difference, and nothing beats a falchion for its crit range.

droid327

I made that THF pali, using reflection and was underwelmed, so no don't do it unless you a bladeforged pali using GS, I just use dino crafted GS and it barely makes a diff, rather wished I made a Dino Falchion instead (am out of bones atm and runes to get it), reflection is only 4.8W and outburst is 5.4W dino is 5.2W, its the Crit damage and multiplier that makes all the difference, and nothing beats a falchion for its crit range.

THF Pal has to use Gsword unless you're a Woodelf, in which case you would've crafted a Falchion in the first place

nenetteblackmoor

I have done a simple experiment in Lammania in the past.
I unified all the buffs on myself and auto-attacked a Red Kobold.
I didn't use any skills during the auto-attack.
I conducted the experiment ten times each and measured and aggregated the time until the Red Kobold died.

Dino Craft (Melt) dominated. All ten times took first place. The kill time also had a significant lead.

Outburst(Unleash the Lightning) came in second, but due to the number of Procs, the time was not stable.
Even with the highest number of Procs, it couldn't beat Dino.
I think the biggest advantage of Outburst is that it only requires four when using the Vecna set.

Finally, there's Reflection Blackrazor (Mythic+4).
Psychic Ward and Stealer of Soul may not be well-suited for single-target attacks against Red Named enemies, so this experiment may have been disadvantaged.

The results might change if skills were used, but this was a simple verification using only auto attacks.

Last edited:

nenetteblackmoor

it procs constantly. but it need 140 scraps and you get max 8/run on hard so it takes awhile

No worries, I have over 500 scraps and also have Outburst.
I just haven't used it because when I tested it on Lammania, I didn't feel any advantages over Dino craft.

Other procs that deal significant damage usually range from 1% to 2%, so is it possible for this one to have as much as 10%?

SpartanKiller13

If you're killing lots of mobs, Reflection of Blackrazor is really strong (+20 MP and +20 damage is nuts). Mostly matters if you're slaughtering mobs on a difficulty easy for you, like for gearfarming or something.

If you're raiding, Reflection of Blackrazor's Stealer of Souls is a unique debuff, but it's not a PRR (or MRR) one so it's harder to measure the value. Probably not great though, most raid groups have a good handful of Fort debuffs so it's mostly -10 AC?

Generally Falchions are winning THF right now, with exceptions for builds that have to use specific weapons (GSword non-WElf Pallys, or like Silvanus/Qstaff builds if you have one I guess) or the occasional big-hits-only build that probably wants a greataxe (Adrenaline, LRally, Raging Crush, etc) but those are pretty rare as well.

Otherwise I'd expect an Attuned Dino Greatsword to be BiS for DPS, you can get both Meltfang (which is one of DDO's best damage procs) and a very strong debuff (Dust or Ooze are the general best for melees, depending on what else is your group).

If the CC from Outburst is a factor, then probably prioritize that; but if you already have good CC (like Cower Before Me) it might not be as impactful.

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
One other consideration that hasn't been mentioned is:
8mn50y.jpg

It's massive on thralls in the xtreme dungeons as they block like 90% of all damage sources from slash and physical attacks.

And I'm willing to bet as we go into Myth Drannor, we're going to get more of those super annoying physical dam resostant thrall monsters.

SpartanKiller13

One other consideration that hasn't been mentioned is:
8mn50y.jpg

It's massive on thralls in the xtreme dungeons as they block like 90% of all damage sources from slash and physical attacks.

And I'm willing to bet as we go into Myth Drannor, we're going to get more of those super annoying physical dam resostant thrall monsters.
I'm pretty sure Psionic Thralls scale both PRR & MRR? If so, you'll still be reduced doing Electric damage. Otherwise casters would blast them with ~no damage reduction.

The one I've used a lot in those quests is Eidolon, because it does Force damage which isn't reduced by MRR (but it's a Cha weapon which can be problematic for other reasons).

More relevant I'd expect is that you'd want MRR debuffs instead of PRR debuffs if using Outburst, so for raids it's probably worse than usual since there's usually more PRR debuffs around?

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
I'm pretty sure Psionic Thralls scale both PRR & MRR? If so, you'll still be reduced doing Electric damage. Otherwise casters would blast them with ~no damage reduction.

The one I've used a lot in those quests is Eidolon, because it does Force damage which isn't reduced by MRR (but it's a Cha weapon which can be problematic for other reasons).

More relevant I'd expect is that you'd want MRR debuffs instead of PRR debuffs if using Outburst, so for raids it's probably worse than usual since there's usually more PRR debuffs around?
Wow, so Outbursts electric is considered magical and not elemental. That sucks then.

Yeah Eidolon is awesome for those silly thralls.

PraetorPlato

Wow, so Outbursts electric is considered magical and not elemental. That sucks then.

Yeah Eidolon is awesome for those silly thralls.
Magical and elemental is the same (more accurately, all elemental damage is considered magical), but using lightning is generally a downside.