Buff my monk

Hoccleve

Hi all,

I'm a long time very casual player. mostly PUG some solo. I have recently got heroic completionist, and am now focusing on a stick monk. Currently Aasimer, Wis based, Monk 18 / Rogue 2 for traps, and just got to L20. Build works fine, very quick across the ground, can contribute DPS, reasonable self-heal with Shadows Cannot Exist Without Life and Aasimar heal. Been fine soloing R1 through heroics, which suits me. Now going into epics again, and thought it'd be a good moment to assess strengths and weaknesses. Have 30 RPs, 14 Destiny points (at 20 before levelling). One each heroic life, 6 epic PLs in Doublestrike / AC and Fast heals. My gear is fairly patchy. Will probably do some more EPLs, and then some human and aasimar RLs for extra wis and APs.

Current stats, standing geared but no boosts, reaper mode in square brackets (just including the more relevant here - do shout if I've forgotten anything important):

Wis 57
Con 37 [39]

HP 1032 [1326]

AC 87
Dodge 30% [36%]
Fort 199%
SR 62
Saves 43 / 44 / 57 [44 /46 / 58]
Elemental resists all 40-50
PRR 55 [61]
MRR 41
Air guard and salt guard.

Dblstrike 12%
MP 37 [43]
Strikethrough 120%
Attack speed 11% + 15% staffs

Feats: THF, ITHF, IC (bludgeon), Precision (on), PowerAttack (but only for...), Cleave, Great Cleave, Swords to Ploughshares, Dodge, Mobility.
Enhancements: 39 in Henshin to T5, 30 in Falconry, 11 TA (esp for Haste boost).

Probably going to run in GMOF, though may try Fury.

Won't bore you with my gear, but do have Stout Walking Stick and Sireth to come at L23. Also Epic Spectral Gloves and Epic Voice.

I'm sure lots of things can be improved, but would particularly welcome feedback on what looks a priority to change or improve. Thank you!

Last edited:

Phloat

Here's my suggestions for staff Monk:

Small note: take your rogue level first, so you can spend the most skill points in Disable Device/Search as possible. Open lock can be geared for mostly, and your Spot will be high enough on a wisdom build that gear can take care of the rest.

Go 18 monk 1 fvs 1 rogue. the 1 fvs saves you at least 8 or so AP in falconry, so you only need the T3 wisdom to dmg, core 3, and 5% quality hp. The fvs gives you a better version of the trance from falroncy: it includes insightful accuracy, on top of deadly and tactics DCs, and if you've ever build an endgame gearset, you know hit chance is the make-or-break stat. The fvs also gives nightshield for convenience. take it at lvl 13/14, so you dont mess up your BAB while taking feats.

For feats: Drop cleave/great cleave. If you still find you want another cleave, take whirlwind instead, and mode dodge/mobility down. You're also missing Greater THF. Additionally, I would take precision over Power Attack, because without hit chance from epic lives, you want to capitalize on accuracy with gear.

I would take the following feats (in order, M for monk bonus feat): THF, Precision (M), dodge, mobility (m), Whirlwind Attack, Swords to Plowshares, Imp THF, Imp Crit: Bludgeon, Spring Attack, Greater THF.
In Epics: Overwhelming Crit, Perfect THF, Imp Martial Arts, Doublestrike, Epic Damage Reduction, Crush Weakness, Discipline, Scion of Astral Plane, Elusive Target.

For Enhancements:
While levelling, you typically will use sprint boost on cooldown, because you won't need the dps boost from Haste Boost to kill mobs, and would rather move between mobs quicker. In epics, monster hp blooms, particularly red names, and you'll want the dps boost from Haste boost from Vistani. I typically dump 11 points into Vistani, picking up favored enemy undead, Haste Boost, Deflect Arrows (core 2), and 5% doublestrike (core 3). This leaves you with some points to put into Aasimar, on top of your Henshin goodies.

For Epic Destinies: T5 GMoF all the way. the utility you get from Everything is Nothing and Lotus Bloom is unavoidable if you're centered. Additionally, as a light Monk, split the soul is an INSANE defensive boost: 50% dodge, concealment, and incorporeality!! Meaning if you're above 40% dodge standing, you'll hit 90%+ with Split the Soul. This is your "oh ****" button. Highly recommend dumping the rest of your points into Shadowdancer (13 to get cores 1-3 for imp evasion and sneak dice, T2 sneak dice, and T3 doublestrike) and Legendary Dreadnaught (tactics, ability scores while action boosting, extra action boosts, etc).

Happy Monking!

Vox

What content do you have access to? This will help with gearing suggestions.

^Phloat has a pretty good build layout.

I might go 37 Heshin (hp%, crit, shadows without light, & 5th core), 14 falconry (Quality HP & Wis to hit/damage), 9 vistani (haste boost & deflect arrows), 8 shintao (centered PRR), 4 TA (stick speed), 7 feydark (got your back for dispelled magic protection & extra sheltering). Only leaves 1ap for 1st racial core though.

8 into NS for dodge cap might be better than Shintao though... especially if you take the dodge cap from heshin & stay in water stance

Hoccleve

Thanks Phloat and Vox. Some helpful tips. Currently L28 and liking it - drifting lotus is super strong.

To answer your question Vox, I have pretty much all content, except I think that latest Morgave pack.

Going to TR at 30 and then perhaps pure monk for some EPLs, with Henshin capstone. Though thanks for the FvS suggestion too.

Love

7 feydark (got your back for dispelled magic protection & extra sheltering).
Keep in mind you would need magical training to dip into feydark and you are only able to have 1 summon active, so you can't have both falconry and feydark active at the same time.

On a 18/2 monk/rogue wis base I would go: 37-39 points into henshin, 21-23 falconry for wis-to-dmg/atk and trance, 8 into thief acrobat for attack speed and haste boost.
This will leave you with 10-14 points, you could use in shintao for PRR and jade strike.

You could also swap some points around and go 4 points in thief acrobat and go 11 points into vistani for deflect arrows, doublestrike and haste boost. This option gives you more points to spend in tier 5 henshin or racial tree.

Will also definitely recommend 18monk/1rogue/1fvs. Its a great leveling split. HF