Bugged - Mind Like Iron/Watchful Eye

Mr Blue

March 2006
I have both the "Mind Like Iron" enhancement and the "Watchful Eye" feat with a 132 Search skill. They seem to not work at all in some zones. I tested in a R1 VoD and it picks up none of the traps there without doing an active search (pushing the search button).

Note: I have both due to having to take Mind Like Iron to reach the inquisitor capstone and the Watchful Eye feat for the Peirce Deception ED bonus.

Last edited:

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
Did you by chance also change your build so it no longer has as much Spot skill as well? As those abilities, text description wise, does not mention that you need the Spot skill as well (for the required spot DC) for them to function automatically.

I just took my Watchful Eye hybrid Rogue into R1 LVOD and was able to automatically reveal the traps straight away.

J1NG

Mr Blue

March 2006
Did you by chance also change your build so it no longer has as much Spot skill as well? As those abilities, text description wise, does not mention that you need the Spot skill as well (for the required spot DC) for them to function automatically.

I just took my Watchful Eye hybrid Rogue into R1 LVOD and was able to automatically reveal the traps straight away.

J1NG
They both say search checks, I had a 89 spot, let me try to get it a bit higher and test....

DYWYPI

I presume your modified Spot skill is at least 98, or it won't be high enough for Watchful Eye to automatically reveal the trap Control panels on Legendary Vision of Destruction (Elite).

Using Nothing is Hidden: for traps a (Search check with a penalty) is performed immediately after any successful Spot check. It will automatically reveal traps but only if both; Spot skill and Search skills are high enough to find the trap, i.e. you won't need to make a separate Search check attempt if your Spot/Search skills were high enough.

Mr Blue

March 2006
They both say search checks, I had a 89 spot, let me try to get it a bit higher and test....
I got my spot up to 97 and went back in, I get the spot trap noise and pop up but not the traps. I have to search to actually find the traps.

Mr Blue

March 2006
I presume your modified Spot skill is at least 98, or it won't be high enough for Watchful Eye to automatically reveal the trap Control panels on Legendary Vision of Destruction (Elite).

Using Nothing is Hidden: for traps a (Search check with a penalty) is performed immediately after any successful Spot check. It will automatically reveal traps but only if both; Spot skill and Search skills are high enough to find the trap, i.e. you won't need to make a separate Search check attempt if your Spot/Search skills were high enough.
I get the spot messages but the traps don't show until I do a search.

J1NG

Maybe this will help, Here is a video of the issue. Used to work, now it doesn't

Video of the issue
Your Spot check is too low (97 instead of 98) for R1 LVoD. Have you tried it on Hard or Normal? If it works there, it's simply a matter of your Spot not being high enough. If it doesn't work there, then there's likely an issue with the Mind Like Iron ability.

J1NG

DYWYPI

You'll need both a Spot and Search skill of 98 for (Elite) with [Watchful Eye]. Have you tried going in on Normal setting to see if the same happens as that will only need a Spot and Search DC of 62.

Sometimes the "Spot danger" alert isn't always for the control panels themselves in some quests. For example:

[...] The Spot value for the Control Panel itself should be the exact same value as the Search DC. However, Spot can vary – sometimes lower – as you might be just detecting a spraying Trap nozzle, floor spike, or a blade, etc. Instead of detecting the actual [Spot DC] of Control Panel, those Spot values can differ. ...

In the video you were likely getting the Spot warning for the trap's damage zone, and not the Control panels because your Spot skill [97] was just slightly too low, but close.

You have both 'Watchful Eye' and 'Mind Like Iron' active, but they do the same task... Obviously the latter 'Mind Like Iron' has a minor Search check penalty – I doubt they'll conflict though.

Update: I've now seen the video of what was happening. I personally tested the Trap DCs for: Legendary Vision of Destruction (Spot and Search) . That's why I know those values are relevant.

Last edited:

J1NG

I just did a confirmation check for Mind Like Iron.

Taking in a Rogue type without the Watchful Eye Feat and instead has Mind Like Iron, with 72 Spot and 75 Search (enough for LVoD on Normal) I went into Normal and it revealed all the traps quickly.

So it should simply be matter of needing to increase your Search skill further up a bit more and it should all be fine there from that point on.

J1NG

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
I got my spot to 107 and it works now, poor wording on both the enhancement and feat descriptions. Thanks for the help all :)
Usually if you have 115 search and 105 spot it is enough everywhere in the game even on r10.

DYWYPI

Yes, the DDO Wiki mentions the in-game enhancement details for Mind Like Iron are vague. Hence the note with regards to the automatic trap detection aspect also requiring a successful Spot check first.

Furthermore, 'Reaper mode' does not increase required: Search or Disable DC values. Legendary Vision of Destruction trap Spot and Search DCs are 8 higher than default base Search DC for its quest level on Elite, I believe that Raid had the highest trap DCs in the game.

Mr Blue

March 2006
Oh, I don't mind requiring spot, just clean up the descriptions of the feat and enhancement to make it clear what is required before people build their toons with the wrong impressions.