build question on wolf (druid/dh?)

Scrag

Can you roll a 6 dh 14 druid (of some flavor) wolf with twf?

Or do wolves/bears simply not support thf.

What could be a really cool combination of classes? Want to try a wolf, but I dont want to use my gswords; whats the point of a real flash gsword if you cant see it?!

Arsont

I mean, you certainly could go 6dh/14 druid, if that's your thing. Just know, druids in animal form do not benefit from the weapon combat style feats when it comes to attacking (So your free twf won't do anything while in wolf form). Shields still provide their AC bonus, but do not provide doublestrike% or PRR from the Shield Mastery feats either. Instead, druids who rely on animal forms for melee damage will want to take Natural Fighting (You take the same feat 3 times, instead of having three different feats).

While you might not see the greatsword (or other weapon, for that matter), you still get the basic bonus damage for wielding a two-handed weapon while in animal forms (That is, you get 1.5x your ability mod for damage, instead of the base 1x). So there's still a benefit to using your greatsword, even if you can't see the weapon.

Depending on what tree you're using, shield+weapon works well. For a dh/druid split, your best bet is probably still thf in wolf form, so you can take advantage of your sneak attack and the boosts in the Nature's Warrior tree.

Bear forms work better with Nature's Protector, which also has some support for barbarian/druid hybrids, and works equally well with shield+weapon and thf.

unbongwah

What could be a really cool combination of classes?
Most common is barbarian / druid due to the way Frenzied Berserker's passive Strikethrough bonuses stack with Natural Fighting; also Focused Wrath's +2 crit multiplier is better than Nature Warrior's +1 multiplier. Barbarian 5 (tier-5 Berserker) / druid 8 (for Dire Bear) is the baseline; up to the player whether to go majority-druid (higher-level spells) or majority-barbarian (Greater Rage). Then a Favored Soul splash for Divine Will (WIS Battle Trance).

Sample build

Frantik

Oh I never realised that FB's tier 2 and 3 Strikethrough options stacked with Bear Natural Fighting as requirement states "Two Handed Fighting" under Angry Arms (at least in ddowiki). You learn something everyday. Been trying to think ways to build a WIS-based (for Hardcore) tanky Bear caster utilizing DI's Vortex option without running out of AP... because I'm greedy and wanted to choose Shifter (more hit/damage, extra maul, debuff and cc), and ideally go pure. QUESTION... does anyone know for sure if Shifter "rage" also unlocks NP Tier 4 Undying Beast (immunity to energy drain and death effects) or must it be either the NP Bear rage or Barbarian rage? Thanks!

Last edited: