Can we tweak the colors for DCs?

Dielzen

I'm getting a little old, but I've always had pretty good vision, but with the lack of scaling on UIs, I can't read some of these DCs

Compare:
image.png

to:
image.png

That red is not very easy to read.

seph1roth5

Also why is the tooltip opaque? It's not like you can click on anything while you're mousing over stuff. That might make it a lot easier to read too.

Though maybe opaqueness is ssg's big new thing. I mean, I hate that the forums have images behind all our stuff.

AbyssalMage

I would love to change the colors. I find certain colors to be harder to read than other colors. Wonder how hard this would be to change to give players that kind of customization.

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
It's as @seph1roth5 has said; the opaqueness (or transparency) of the background is part of the problem.

If the spell or effect happens to have the DC listed in a different location where it's darker in the background of the tooltip, then it's actually not an issue. However, if like in the OP it crops up across a line of hotbar icons, it becomes a lot harder to read. This is the case even with OLED display tech here.

Even just adjusting the opaque level up a bit for the background of the tooltip (to block out the myriad of colours and shapes it sits over) should alleviate some of the readability of the DC, especially for the Fortitude version in red.

J1NG

Kiany

I agree on this. Almost every other game I play has the option to change colors a bit. Maybe I'm missing some settings somewhere, but certain color blind modes would be awesome. I particularly struggle reading reds when they are next to grays.
By far the worst thing for me to read in game though is the gear set bonuses. I will stare at my gear for a couple minutes trying to figure out how many feywild pieces I have on because that teal next to the white is almost impossible for me to decipher.

Fizban

I agree that the RED especially needs to change. It gets blended in with the background depending on where your facing.

Geezer

Apparently the Devs are totally clueless to the fact that 1 in 8 men are color blind (myself included). You dont put a dark color on a dark background. Wake up devs, and fix it!!

droid327

On a similar note, whatever happened to item/filigree sets changing color when you reached various tiers? I feel like it used to be much more visually obvious when a set bonus was "highlighted", if it still does it at all

RangerOne

Geezer, my brother in poor vision, how are you?

I too suffer from my mother's lineage and see about as many colors as a 1948 television broadcast. Oddly I worked with television sales a few year back and make joked about the normies able to see 1.6 billion colors.

Anyway, it usually is not an issue in DDO except for puzzle wheels. I was happy when they added the pips to help us out but they have of late not followed through there.

I know there is a section of the controls to change the color of things. Does that affect tooltips also?

Geezer

Actually I tried to change the colors of some things and made them worse so I forgot about that. On another note, why cant we have some kind of customizable mouse pointers?? Like different sizes, shapes, or colors , or be able to import something from Windoze? And yes, the puzzle wheels are something else too. At times its a real adventure when you're color blind and/or dont have the best vision in the world. The devs should be able to see the game through my eyes!

Geezer

By the way, the first tv's to become popular in homes was in the early 50's, and only black and white with extremely small screens. I know, I was a kid back then. Color tvs didn't become popular in homes until the 60's when more people could afford them :)

CherryBomb

I would be happy to be able to resize the mouse pointer. Old age (failing eyes) makes it hard to track the movement/position of the mouse at times. The ability to resize the mouse pointer and perhaps add a bit of color would be helpful.

DYWYPI

Typically a contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1 between the 'relative luminance' of text and its background colour is recommended for normal text. However, that's oversimplified and doesn't address everything. The text in that image [Post #1] does look smaller than a normal: 16px or 12pt.

Perhaps on a small handheld device, with a poorly lit screen, that text colour might not be as obvious to distinguish either. If you are not affected by Colour vision deficiency, and are using a desktop monitor, you shouldn't have an issue distinguishing between those colours.

Also as was mentioned the background is transparent with some opacity. Therefore, the background is not always single solid colour, which could reduce text legibility.

I don't have Colour vision deficiency. Albeit about 1 in 12 men and 1 in 200 women have colour vision deficiency.

festasha

I have colour blindness and struggle to see red in the dc description also, I would also like player health bars to have a solid background and be resizable. Maybe @Tonquin could work his magic :) .