Caravan Quest in Menachtun

Gnyxl

There are a few quests that just SUCK. This is one of them, and the Devs should read this and take what I say into consideration.

I took a cleric in there and tried three* times. I beat the quest twice, losing once. The quest has three chests but at the end of the quest it dumps you out before you can loot any of them, and half the time it dumps you into House P.

This post is about the Caravan quest, but actually there are a lot of DDO quests that are bugged, and it is a huge scource of irritation and angst for us end users. This whole game (DDO) needs an overhaul. A lot of these bugs are over a decade old. We keep buying stuff in the points shop but none of this ever seems to get addressed. Why is that?

*Edit - I also forgot to mention it was actually 4 times, but one of the attempts at this quest a pop-up randomly came up asking me if I wanted to purchase shards, and I couldn't get the pop-up to go away, I had to go to task manager and end process.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Narc

First, loot the chests prior to talking to the npc that finishes the quest.

Secondly, the quest has to different places to enter from so that may be why it is releasing you into to different spots, the on might be because you failed.

Please devs dont change quests like these to make them easier to solo, part of the fun soloing is taking on the challenge as is!

Xgya

You can talk to the NPC to finish the quest without exiting.
Just talk to her, get the exp and loot before talking to her again.
Or loot your chests first. There's no more enemy spawns at that point either.

I agree most protection quests are bothersome, but this one not to the same extent protecting Coyle ever was.
Still, if they changed it, like they did Coyle, so saving the caravans was an optional objective that didn't just kick you out of the quest, I wouldn't complain. (just remove the timer, and give a number of required kills like in Kobold Assault instead so people don't just hide in a corner and wait it out)

Gnyxl

I appreciate the replies, but I know about that. I'm talking about not being able to do that at all. I finished the quest and it booted me out before I could do anything at all. I finally got it to work on a different character, and after 5 tries... So maybe I just had to log out and log back in or something. Still glitchy though.

Aelonwy

If they made any changes to this quest at all, I would like a path to get up on the over-looking ridge. Sometimes a mob is casting from out of range and no amount of positioning can end their attacks. It can be frustrating to have the party and the wagons flame-struck repeatedly with no method to prevent it because of the mob's somewhat random position. Otherwise, I'm fine with the quest.

I don't recall ever being booted out without speaking to the NPC by the shrine. But I only run it once per life, so a lot happens between each time I visit.

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
The only way to get booted without talking to the NPC is to fail.

The only way to fail is to have fewer than two caravans intact.

Yes, mobs destroying a caravan AFTER the timer completes and 'ends' the quest will count as a failure and boot you out.

That last thing is the only thing I would like to see changed.

Altra

If they made any changes to this quest at all, I would like a path to get up on the over-looking ridge. Sometimes a mob is casting from out of range and no amount of positioning can end their attacks. It can be frustrating to have the party and the wagons flame-struck repeatedly with no method to prevent it because of the mob's somewhat random position. Otherwise, I'm fine with the quest.

I don't recall ever being booted out without speaking to the NPC by the shrine. But I only run it once per life, so a lot happens between each time I visit.
Those guys on the ledges are so frustrating!

Gnyxl

The only way to get booted without talking to the NPC is to fail.

The only way to fail is to have fewer than two caravans intact.

Yes, mobs destroying a caravan AFTER the timer completes and 'ends' the quest will count as a failure and boot you out.

That last thing is the only thing I would like to see changed.
The quest was already done, and won. I was dumped out of the quest as I was about to open the first chest. You know how your character kneels down to open the chest? My toon was doing that when the quest dumped me out. I don't care if you believe me or not, I know what I saw.

If there are any mobs left in the canyon, they still attack the caravans after you "win". The quest boots you if there is only one remaining, even if you have "completed" and are just looting.

Knudge

There are a few quests that just SUCK. This is one of them, and the Devs should read this and take what I say into consideration.

I took a cleric in there and tried three* times. I beat the quest twice, losing once. The quest has three chests but at the end of the quest it dumps you out before you can loot any of them, and half the time it dumps you into House P.

This post is about the Caravan quest, but actually there are a lot of DDO quests that are bugged, and it is a huge scource of irritation and angst for us end users. This whole game (DDO) needs an overhaul. A lot of these bugs are over a decade old. We keep buying stuff in the points shop but none of this ever seems to get addressed. Why is that?

*Edit - I also forgot to mention it was actually 4 times, but one of the attempts at this quest a pop-up randomly came up asking me if I wanted to purchase shards, and I couldn't get the pop-up to go away, I had to go to task manager and end process.
Treasury, in Keep on the Borderlands is lauded in the narration as "Having much treasure" There are 3 Red Bosses. 3 Crests and 1 Chest. The LEAST amount of Loot in the Borderlands. How hard would it be to add a few Chests? Red Spider? Drop a Chest at the back of the Webs. Not even a Crest there. Red Skeleton on a Crest, fine. Gimme a Crest. Rats 'n Tiles? Drop a Red Name between there and next and gimme a Chest!

Misadventure

Killing everybody on Hardcore with pleasure.
You can talk to the NPC to finish the quest without exiting.
Just talk to her, get the exp and loot before talking to her again.
Or loot your chests first. There's no more enemy spawns at that point either.

I agree most protection quests are bothersome, but this one not to the same extent protecting Coyle ever was.
Still, if they changed it, like they did Coyle, so saving the caravans was an optional objective that didn't just kick you out of the quest, I wouldn't complain. (just remove the timer, and give a number of required kills like in Kobold Assault instead so people don't just hide in a corner and wait it out)
I never did like babysit quest.

Lagin

It is designed to bring you to House P. Has been that way since the beginning.
As to a shard purchase pop-up. I've never seen that anywhere, ever.

The caravan quest never had any real relevance and the loot is dismal. I haven't run it it in years. I look at it as a live test dojo, no other reason to waste my time on it.

Rauven

Child of Dhurinda

The caravan quest never had any real relevance and the loot is dismal. I haven't run it it in years. I look at it as a live test dojo, no other reason to waste my time on it.
It was designed to take you from House Phiarlan to Zawabi's Refuge. When Sands of the Menechtarun was released with Module 3 in 2006 Desert Caravan was the only way to get there. Kupper-Nickel and travel by airship were added later. That is when the quest lost its relevance.

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
Yeah, if you don't actually kill all the mobs and they are still breaking wagons it will boot you whether you 'won' or not. Take a moment and clear the area, and yeah, the high up spots are a pain.
I solo this quest quite often during reincarnations on elite, and I hate it every time. But, it can be done, and paying attention to surroundings will save a lot of grief with it.

Lagin

It was designed to take you from House Phiarlan to Zawabi's Refuge. When Sands of the Menechtarun was released with Module 3 in 2006 Desert Caravan was the only way to get there. Kupper-Nickel and travel by airship were added later. That is when the quest lost its relevance.
thanks, I couldn't remember that (I'm an old fart) when I posted. I was playing back then. and that quest caused many fails.

Buddha5440

I have never seen someone up on the ridge that I couldn't target with ranged or a spell, you just have to find the right spot.

Knudge

My rotten brain has now set this as a required task.