Carrion swarm - why no damage at all on save?

Wizard

Fort save on the FIRST application of the DOT for NO damage. On all my casters enemies always save since fort is usually a mobs highest save. (in legendary = inflated mob saves). So the spell is 100% useless to me since it almost never does damage.

Since when do DOTs have saves (except I think firewall on the first tick) and since when does fort save allow for no damage instead of half? I thought they have no saves because they do lower damage than direct spells and take longer for full effect.

What's the reason for this? I heard SSG didn't like hybrids having spell AOE but build diversity and choice of options is fun, but the change made the spell unusuable for anyone but conjuration casters with endgame DCs....

Konsumer

So what's a usuable epic strike for acid and poison casters now ..... Dragon Breath is weak now, long cooldown, requires you to be (too) close. All the others are not good, especially not as acid /poison.
When I find out I'll let you know. Going back to sorc soon. I'm an acid/poison alchemist now and it's "ok". although the dcs seem to be missing far more than ever before. High 90s get laughed at in r4.

Siegfrid

When I find out I'll let you know. Going back to sorc soon. I'm an acid/poison alchemist now and it's "ok". although the dcs seem to be missing far more than ever before. High 90s get laughed at in r4.
Oops i think my hybrid was at like 65 conj on legendary...
Well its not like i was using it a lot was still doing mostly melee but it was still something for long range and opening fight before closing in.
Oh well i guess i will put that build on the side on concentrate on what works...
But yeah i though the spell was balanced because poison was often resisted (undead/construct/extra planar) and as a dot that needed to be stacked it was not OP
I guess my character was just a bit weak and too spread out.

l_remmie

The change screwed over my blight druid. DCs are much harder to get without past lives and 14 sentiment slots.
The jump in difficulty is huge between mid epic and legendary. You're getting almost everything with dc70 and then suddenly you need to have at least 90 to even have a chance.

Having some reliable no-save spells really helps more casual players.

Siegfrid

I guess my character was just a bit weak and too spread out.
To be frank i m mostly playing the TR game, i see a build i like , in that case the hybrid, i check what is availlable on my 13 mules and shared bank...
Put together something, then play (1 - 30 (32)) or (15 - 30) + a 20 -30 At cap i will run some saga to try to get afew blue on r1 or higher if i can manage get the saga for my own personal guild (lvl 67 yeah) and then doing a TR on something else so as not to get bored.
That is my way of playing DDO.
I don't do R10 because its way above my char and i don't do raid because i don't know them, and i had a few very bad experiences with some unforgiving veterans... I am too old to get scolded like a little kid in a game... thank you ...
So yah having some no save ability was cool....
I just want to reming SSG that one of the big strengh of your game is diversity...
Being able to do a build that is not the flavor of the month and still be able to play...

If you want to keep some elitist content well i think you are 100 % right BUT you should have some content for weaker guys and that content still need to be able to improve your characters, if you can only run legendary normal and legendary normal drop rate is crap well we can't get better...

I "think" R1 should be the new "normal difficulty" its what is being run in most pug, lower difficulty is "easy difficulty" and higher R is for elitist content.

How far am i in the TR train to be worried of R1 difficulty on legendary...?
I have 39 heroics (about to finish second completionist) 32 epics, 17 racials and a bunch of iconics...
Now i have never been a good player....I am still dying in lots of traps, falling my jumps to die in some lava pool, i only manage to do the jump in maze of madness once every blue moon...Yah i m bad + i NEVER try to play the best build i do what i enjoy and often its something weird....
But still that is the exact thing i love in DDO i don't have to do what everyone else is doing...

Wizard

Is it possible that the save is bugged? Even in epic quests and lower difficulties mobs are saving all the time with 70 conj DC on my warlock alt. That's a caster class, caster destiny epic strikes should at least work for them :confused: Maybe not all bonuses to DCs are properly applying?

Anyway I think the save should be removed or at least only save for half on ticks past the first, because otherwise it's yet another ability in DDO that's has very little use.

Scrag

DCs are why I do not play dc based casters.

Tactics you can ramp up without much issue, get constant execution in r6 and above, not have this insane 100+ stat, or invest in a ton of gear/farming/etc to get ++spell dc.

I have had a lot of luck with tactical dcs, virtually none in spell dcs.

Wizard

DCs are why I do not play dc based casters.

Yeah and the problem is everyone is a DC caster because they keep adding mobs with uber reflex saves and evasion, making many caster hard to play.
And now they nerf one of the few ways not to have to deal with the evasion problem....nerfing no save & fortiude save spells.

Why do they punish casual players? The hardcore playerbase was already meeting every DC check so the nerf wasn't needed for them being to overpowered.

Siegfrid

Why do they punish casual players? The hardcore playerbase was already meeting every DC check so the nerf wasn't needed for them being to overpowered.
Yes this does not target the powerfreak, the one who can breeze through all content and clear R10 in a few minutes.
The target are the players who are still trying to get some gears and struggle at clearing regular content.
Its just going to make the gap between op players and new players biggers.

Siegfrid

SSG is planning to releasea new xpac with lvl increase to 34.
Ok wich mean harder mobs with harder save..
The big question they should ask themselves is how is that content interesting for weaker players...
If we can't pass the save or clear the content , is there any interest for us in buying it.?

Because even if there is nice loot, you still need to clear content at a difficvulty high enough for that sweet loot to drop
So if you cna't clear it, then there is no reason to buy it.

There was some period in DDO life where i ignored completely epic content because i could not do it.

If they want to increase difficulty for the big power gamer that is great raise the ceiling, make some new reapers , new mechanism, whatever to give them some challenge!!!!

But please don't forget some guys are still struggling at r1 legendary. If you value theses customers, if you want them to buy your product, well don't just pull the carpet under their feet....

Aelonwy

SSG is planning to releasea new xpac with lvl increase to 34.
Ok wich mean harder mobs with harder save..
The big question they should ask themselves is how is that content interesting for weaker players...
If we can't pass the save or clear the content , is there any interest for us in buying it.?

I've been thinking about this a lot. Most of the nerfs recently have been to pull the rug out from under casual/less min-max players and don't really hurt the uber-elite players. If I couple that information with the update that was all about "quest completions are happening too fast you need to spend more time killing mobs" because lets be real here did anyone? notice lag getting better after that update that supposedly was about reducing lag by increasing DA and making mobs faster, and forcing people to slay as much as possible for max XP? That was so obviously about making XP pots less efficient. For me lag got worse after that update.

I was already (and still am) a slay everything/do ALL optionals player and quests still took longer after that update because of some change to mob behavior where they run up to my character and past me to get behind me causing half my spells to fail and sp pts to get wasted because "you are not facing!" Well its freaking hard to face the darn mobs when they're busy circling me like an awkward courtship ritual.

My theory is that these changes are about slowing down quest completions for extra XP pot sales. Making spells (especially our supposedly epic strike) spells less effective means needing to use more spells means maybe more Mnemonic pot sales. Slowing down acquisition of past lives via making quest completions take longer may mean more Otto's sales for impulsive, less patient people. This isn't about balance this about squeezing whatever revenue stream remains.

And the final thought of my theory is that they are probably planning to sell some power with the next expansion/next two Legendary levels and if they want to control the power creep while still selling power each max level increase... well the easiest way to do that is to remove some power from the players right before making it available again. But only after buying-in to that next content increase. One step forward two steps back - cha cha.

By the way, I am NOT looking forward to them nerfing melee heavy handed too although it seems quite likely that will be their next move. I'm not looking forward to it because though I may play more caster than ranged or melee, I have alts of all types and my hubby and son prefer melee. If their favorite play style gets over-nerfed... well let's just say they aren't as willing to turn the other cheek.

DBZ

Balance pass mate they aint changing ****

Instakills is the only meta left now with this and the reaper penalty or just go melee

Evasion mobs are so weak to cc and instakills too my 2pl alt can frog sharns

Meteors will still work Multi vials will still work or just go melee

Slow stuff down hilarious cuz that failed too with there nerfs same with challenge or balance

And melees are completely untouched

Last edited:

voenixa121

And the final thought of my theory is that they are probably planning to sell some power with the next expansion/next two Legendary levels and if they want to control the power creep while still selling power each max level increase... well the easiest way to do that is to remove some power from the players right before making it available again. But only after buying-in to that next content increase. One step forward two steps back - cha cha.
Well, obviously. We won't be going to level 40 dealing more and more damage or the numbers would be in the millions by the end of it. Expect another stat squish in the next few years as well. Numbers don't matter anyway, if damage goes up then health of enemies does as well. That's why I don't understand why people are so hung up about their numbers. Epic/Legendary Ward are the real barriers, as can be seen here.

I was already (and still am) a slay everything/do ALL optionals player and quests still took longer after that update because of some change to mob behavior where they run up to my character and past me to get behind me causing half my spells to fail and sp pts to get wasted because "you are not facing!" Well its freaking hard to face the darn mobs when they're busy circling me like an awkward courtship ritual.
We play the same way and man that is annoying. Especially with aoe spells that would hurt everything anyway. And of course it goes on cooldown as well!

Lazuli

DBZ, the life of a dedicated instantkiller is no bed of roses. While the style has some die-hard fans, most who try it find that they are virtually useless against all types of boss, and there are also a large number of mobs immune to instantkills (including a good portion of champions).

That's why, although my main has always been a DC caster, I have avoided hyperspecialization. I know DC casters who are unable to finish quests on their own, or even r1 is difficult for them.

DBZ

I know i remember charm times they hella nerfd ruins too see the thread

50 percent less damage now

2 legendary feats and single shot only and a massive cost is now garbage

Last edited: