Change to Dungeon Alert

Oxarhamar

I guess your hypothesis could be right for those on the TR train that actually care about extra inventory space, the people that i know are doing TR’s are done and ready to TR before the timer is up and still need to wait to TR, they dont slow down for inventory and this quest is not on their list. There is definitely no right or wrong way to TR, to each their own on the path to which they choose. I left the hamster wheel a long time back to enjoy a permadeath style of play which i have yet to get bored of.
Blockade Buster is great XP with a group that knows it super fast completion maybe it’s not on yourn list but it’s on plenty of others everyone has their preferences.

gravisrs

From DDO EU servers
I don't think there needs to be a reduction in mobs. I simply think the system needs adjusting or removal until it actually works the way it was intended.
Actually It's a great idea to half the number of mobs but move their hp's to the others (so double the HP for remaining ones).

- the amount of needed DPS will stay the same for each group of mobs
- there will be less AI hickups and lags
- this will affect (nerf a bit) AOE casters only - which is desired approach

AbyssalMage

I vote to make NPC's "White Dot" to reduce lag :/
U27 - U59 was supposed to reduce lag. Now punishing us with "new and improved DA" will help reduce lag. Maybe if we quit playing lag will really improve.

SSG, honestly make NPC's "White Dot" because DA has been around long before you tool over DDO. Fix the problem on your end and quit taking out your frustrations on the players.

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
Greetings!

As we look at our lag metrics since our changes last week, we have seen that one unfortunate side effect is that the player behavior of evoking high Dungeon Alert levels by moving quickly through dungeons has spiked, and that behavior is contributing to a different form of lag (the conditions that cause dungeon alert cause lag).

We have made an adjustment this morning to make this behavior less rewarding. All red named boss monsters will be buffed if you encounter them while dungeon alert is active. The buff is gentle for green and yellow, and gets more severe at higher dungeon alert levels. This means that players will have an easier time if they defeat minions before tackling red named bosses if dungeon alert is active.

(As an aside, bosses always got buffed with dungeon alert, but we have leaned more heavily into this. Bosses will take much longer to kill at higher levels of dungeon alert, so kill those minions!)

We will be looking further into modifying content that tends to provoke Dungeon Alert, and change Dungeon Alert to discourage play patterns that provoke the highest levels of Dungeon Alert for long periods of time.
If You want to put and end of red alert zerging, make every phase (I, II, III and IV) reduce the total exp of the quest. Period.

Batman

If You want to put and end of red alert zerging, make every phase (I, II, III and IV) reduce the total exp of the quest. Period.
This has been suggested 1 billion times and is the obvious answer.

The reason why we're all super sus right now is they went another path which does NOT outright de-incentivize zerging (like the XP penalty idea, which would end this behavior once and for all) but BUFF the monsters (potentially making them lag the game up more due to them not dying as easily).

I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt. But fellas, it's getting VERY HARD...

Aelonwy

Honestly we've had enough stick. I'd prefer if the designers of the game environment would stop adding punishments for not playing their desired way and instead add incentives and encouragements to play the way they intend. More Carrots, less stick.

Lotoc

This has been suggested 1 billion times and is the obvious answer.

The reason why we're all super sus right now is they went another path which does NOT outright de-incentivize zerging (like the XP penalty idea, which would end this behavior once and for all) but BUFF the monsters (potentially making them lag the game up more due to them not dying as easily).

I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt. But fellas, it's getting VERY HARD...
I mean they outright said the change is that red named mobs get buffed more by dungeon alert, no change to trash mobs.
making the obvious solution being to clear out the trash mobs before killing the boss? And nothing about the changes make clearing out trash more difficult?

Batman

I mean they outright said the change is that red named mobs get buffed more by dungeon alert, no change to trash mobs.
making the obvious solution being to clear out the trash mobs before killing the boss? And nothing about the changes make clearing out trash more difficult?
Why would we clear the trash mobs? Just snipe the red-named if it's part of a quest objective. Unless the quest objective red-named turns into Vecna raid boss at DA4 then.... maybe.

The Narc

I think the xp penalty(suggest 20% green 40% yellow and 60% plus block xp pots for red) thing could actually work to discourage the zerging with danger alert, an even better added touch is to give absolutely zero reaper xp for anything yellow danger alert or greater.

This would definitely impact a large portion of zerging past monsters, except loot runners and favor runners which i would think is a smaller portiin of zergers in the game.

Obviously some of the quests would need to be tweaked so that there wouldnt be an automatic yellow or red alert in the end fights.

T.O.

Just last night running Smash and Burn. I don't do the puzzles just open the rusty door. What happens. Get green right off the bat. If I was running this for xp I would be not be happy that I just lost xp because of the design of the mobs. This will need to be a quest that needs to be fixed because it is notorious for DA'ing due to design and not any fault of the players.

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
Just last night running Smash and Burn. I don't do the puzzles just open the rusty door. What happens. Get green right off the bat. If I was running this for xp I would be not be happy that I just lost xp because of the design of the mobs. This will need to be a quest that needs to be fixed because it is notorious for DA'ing due to design and not any fault of the players.
The allert is gone as U kill mobs

The Narc

I would suggest that you only lose the xp if you had the danger alert active at the time of quest completion. So if you do activate some form of danger alert you would have time to clean up the mess thereby lessening/removing the xp penalty and the stress on the servers.

As a side suggestion if mobs are left behind during a red alert just have their AI freeze them in place and keep the alert active, forcing the zerger to go back and kill then before completion and at the same time not causing additional lag because all the mobs are trying to path to the zergers location(this would also deter trying to gather mass mobs over a large distance to one location for AOE).

T.O.

The allert is gone as U kill mobs
I know. That is what I do. I prefer to kill mobs as I go. I like to speed run too. So max deeps and one shotting are part of being a better player than running like a wimp.

Buddha5440

They can easily flag those quests where DA is mandatory. For instance 'Offering of Blood' is literally a chase up the mountain to the end goal; DA is absolutely going to be triggered, can't avoid it ainfe there are endless monsters chasing you. In this instance any DA amount will not trigger a penalty but at the sametime no bonus.
I have run "Offering of Blood" around a hundred or more times and have never gotten a dungeon alert. Granted, I usually run it solo on Elite.

In Offering of Blood, if you don't ZERG (again, this is what is causing the LAG issue(s)), and clean out the room before running ahead (if you can't do it quick enough before reinforcements come in, that's on you); you get no DA.

The LAG issues are not caused by DA, but by people not cleaning up the trash they spawn by running through/past them and straining the server to keep running processes to keep their AI active.

Basically, DA is a way for the Devs to tell you that you are adding to LAG.

If you run it on Reaper, YMMV.

Buddha5440

"...From my point of view, those who want to take it slow and feel useful (which is perfectly fine, of course) should post their LFM, specifying no zerg, no alert, need heals, need tank, whatever...""".
This doesn't work because people who join an LFM posted as "No ZERGING" often still ZERG and you are stuck with it.

It's the ZERGERs who should post in their LFM that they are ZERGING, not the normal player posting that they are not.

Almost every time I post an LFM with "No ZERG/All opts", it gets ruined by a Zerger.

Buddha5440

Everyone seems to be missing the part about it only being "red named boss monsters" that will be buffed further by dungeon alert.
That's almost exactly what I said 5 days ago. :)

It's almost like people don't read the whole post...just the last page.

Buddha5440

Maybe the devs should put in a decrease in xp for every mob left alive if there is a dungeon alert that, while not caused "simply" because of the Boss batle (ie. "Subversion"), is still active at the end of the quest.