changes to tumble BAD!

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Except it is the same handful of people posting nonsensical rage posts. That's not actionable or even desirable feedback.
Except that it's not . . . *and I'm continually reminded of the lost skill unless I stick to my Paladin (who never tumbled cause she can't) but she's @ cap, so...

Why can you not tumble through a trap? I do it all the time and get a bonus to my reflex save.
The nozzle type, I'm sure you do. Try some horizontal blade traps (HE, EE, or R, @ level, your choice,) in Lords of Dust (stairs) or The Tide Turns.. if yer not rogue, or sufficient rogue, yer screwed now. *2 tumbles is not enough.

Last edited:

canicus

The nozzle type, I'm sure you do. Try some horizontal blade traps (HE, EE, or R, @ level, your choice,) in Lords of Dust (stairs) or The Tide Turns.. if yer not rogue, or sufficient rogue, yer screwed now. *2 tumbles is not enough.
OK,, but here you getting a bonus while tumbling through those traps before? I am unaware of bonus v. traps in original tumble. am I wrong?

I guess what is confusing me is you seemed to say that we have lost a defensive ability from original tumble. I can't find anything that has been taken away, only potential bonuses. What have we lost, especially when it comes to traps?

Last edited:

dur

aka Cybersquirt
OK,, but here you getting a bonus while tumbling through those traps before? I am unaware of bonus v. traps in original tumble. am I wrong?

I guess what is confusing me is you seemed to say that we have lost a defensive ability from original tumble. I can't find anything that has been taken away, only potential bonuses. What have we lost, especially when it comes to traps?
IDK if I get bonus; seconds (1.0, specifically) go by v.quickly

I could tumble 3-4-8 times before. Now it's twice with an 8.0 second cool-down. That is my issue. (*We/I lost the original functionality in it's availability n a 1 sec boost is no incentive - all my toons will use Jump now, until someone exploits that and the right ppl complain. I also do not appreciate you trying to change the subject of OP, but have at it. 'least Jack found another thread.)

They NERFED a core skill, after 18 years, by putting charges on it. 2. Why? Seems excessive. Lipstick on a pig is still just a pig with lipstick.

There has got to be some middle ground here!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DBZ

canicus

IDK if I get bonus; seconds (1.0, specifically) go by v.quickly

I could tumble 3-4-8 times before. Now it's twice with an 8.0 second cool-down. That is my issue. (*We/I lost the original functionality in it's availability n a 1 sec boost is no incentive - all my toons will use Jump now, until someone exploits that and the right ppl complain. I also do not appreciate you trying to change the subject of OP, but have at it. 'least Jack found another thread.)

They NERFED a core skill, after 18 years, by putting charges on it. 2. Why? Seems excessive. Lipstick on a pig is still just a pig with lipstick.

There has got to be some middle ground here!
I guess there is no way for them to make everyone happy. I see the changes as a buff. I use the extra dodge and ref bonuses all the time. Even with 2 charges I rarely find myself in a position where I truly need it and don't have it. Our playstyles clearly differ. I just can't understand why unlimited tumble with no buffs is better than uncapped dodge bonus and massive reflex save bonus. 1 sec may not sound like much, but it protects me from traps and prevents me getting hit by bosses and reapers.

Obviously, many classes do not have the extra skill points to pump into tumble, but they never did. These changes give me an incentive to prioritize tumble over haggle or bluff or the like. I hate to keep going back and forth, but I still don't see what we are supposed to have lost. I mean lost mechanically. if you just really like to roll around all the time, i guess something is gone, but that wasn't 18 years, that was just with the experimental changes a few month ago. I look at the older versions of the tumble page on the wiki and I can't find any mechanical benefits that have gone away.

Help me understand, what was so great about standing still and then being able to tumble? Every time I tried it before the experimental changes, I thought it was pretty useless. But a bunch of people seem to be losing their minds about it.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Help me understand, what was so great about standing still and then being able to tumble? Every time I tried it before the experimental changes, I thought it was pretty useless. But a bunch of people seem to be losing their minds about it.
Because it's part RP n part the way tumble has been since the start of this game. Why did it suddenly have to be reverted to charges?

A pig wearing Lipstick is.. :sigh: they changed the way a Skill has functioned, like no other is my other argument. Because, charges + the insult of cool-down +8 seconds. It's not worth the 1s buff to me. Period.

canicus

Because it's part RP n part the way tumble has been since the start of this game. Why did it suddenly have to be reverted to charges?
Because they made it more powerful and engaging. The charges are there for balance. They have changed an enormous amount of the game since it began. I guess there are still a few things that have stayed the same since day one, but there can't be tha many. I'm sorry it isn't as fun for you anymore.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Because they made it more powerful and engaging.
No. They changed it like no other skill by putting charges on it. *Engaging/EnRaging is v.arguable.

Balance of WHAT? This effects Heroics, BIG TIME. - give me that illusion then, pull the bonus and revert the changes (OOH! A 1.0 SECOND BOOST! ROFLMAO.) I wouldn't know about the old description of Tumble, btw.. I have no screenshots: MMO! 😡The exploit is @ EPIC. Prolly not intro'd by EXP Tumble but.. UGH! ***!? Can y'all at least get some experienced coders or whatever it takes to not break then nerf? It's a V.Bad Look and has happened arguable times.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DBZ

DDO Gaming

Why can you not tumble through a trap? I do it all the time and get a bonus to my reflex save.
the way tumble is currently implemented makes it impossible to attempt tumbling through traps. as a single discreet action a gamer probably needs 10* tumbles to try tumbling through traps thus 2 tumbles will get you soulstoned

DDO Gaming

if you're in the middle of a trap after pressing the tumble button...it doesn't make much difference what bonuses you have, you will likely get soulstoned

canicus

if you're in the middle of a trap after pressing the tumble button...it doesn't make much difference what bonuses you have, you will likely get soulstoned
I was asking him about traps becuase in an earlier post he made the claim that the new changes mad it so that you could no longer tumbe through traps. I disagree, I tumble through traps all the time. Of course it requires investment, but the bonuses are there and they do work. But more importantly to my point, what was the benefit to tumbling trough trpas before the implementation of Experimental tumble. No one has answered this question. All I get is "things have changed and I don't like that" or "1 sec is not enough" (I know I used quotes, but obvioulsy I'm paraphrasing)

As best I can tell, tumble is mechanically more usefull through trpas than it was before. You may not find this increase valuable. You may not like the charge system. I know I probably sound like I have made up my mind, but I really want to know what mechanical benefit there was to tumble prior to Experimental Controls that we have lost. If you read my posts carefully I come back to this point over and over. I am willing to be shown that I am wrong, but so far no one has been able to explain this to me.

Buddha5440

giphy.gif

DDO Gaming

As best I can tell, tumble is mechanically more usefull through trpas than it was before. You may not find this increase valuable. You may not like the charge system. I know I probably sound like I have made up my mind, but I really want to know what mechanical benefit there was to tumble prior to Experimental Controls that we have lost. If you read my posts carefully I come back to this point over and over. I am willing to be shown that I am wrong, but so far no one has been able to explain this to me.
As a rogue I disable traps, so tumble isn;t so important. However having tested tumble I know my rogue will get soulstoned trying to pass through the frst trap in "jungle of khyber" because that requires multiple tumble key presses unless you are very precise

Reactions: dur

canicus

As a rogue I disable traps, so tumble isn;t so important. However having tested tumble I know my rogue will get soulstoned trying to pass through the frst trap in "jungle of khyber" because that requires multiple tumble key presses unless you are very precise
Again, this does not answer my question. (see gif above) What have we LOST. what mechanical advantage did tumble give a player, at all but specifically with traps, that has gone away? dur claimed that we could NO LONGER tumble through traps. I cannot find any indication that tumble USED to give a mechanical advantage against taps. If you want to argue the bonus we NOW get is not enough, I disagree, but fine. But please stop trying to prove the current bonus isn't enough. If tumble never provide a mechanical advantage against traps, then (when it comes to traps) tumble was not nerfed. Even if you don't find the changes useful.

Again, I am willing to be shown that I am wrong. I never used tumble prior to the Experimental changes. My evidence is going through the page history on the wiki. I very well may have missed something. But so far, after repeated asking, no one has explained to me that a mechanical advantage was taken away from tumble. I get that there are now charges. You say that the Jungle of Khyber trap requires more than one tumble, has this changed? could you get through in 1 tumble before the changes? If you could, would that get you through the trap without damage?

DDO Gaming

You say that the Jungle of Khyber trap requires more than one tumble, has this changed? could you get through in 1 tumble before the changes? If you could, would that get you through the trap without damage?
there is no indication the traps have changed and I expect none since that would require substantial investment. And I'm surprised you would even raise this question: why would the very small dev team at SSG consider impact-analysis of any changes they make? That is a huge undertaking.

You do understand how software development works right?

DDO Gaming

don;t get me wrong, from SSGs perspective I understand why they would be unhappy at the way tumble was being used but equally...why not simply disable it instead of creating a botched "this doesn;'t do anything useful" solution

Reactions: dur

canicus

there is no indication the traps have changed and I expect none since that would require substantial investment. And I'm surprised you would even raise this question: why would the very small dev team at SSG consider impact-analysis of any changes they make? That is a huge undertaking.

You do understand how software development works right?
Ok,.so we have not lost a mechanical advantage against traps as dur said. They gave us a buff that some people do not see as useful and then added a charge system to balance that buff. But since some people do not see the buff as valuable, the charges are unwelcome. Is that accurate?
I asked the question because dur said we lost something and I did not see a loss. I feel like you have addressed this and said there was no change to traps.
As far as why they would not just get rid of the experimental controls, they did and between Lams some people complained. They liked the ability to tumble while moving and wanted tumble to be useful.
Pretending that these decisions have clear objectively correct solutions is silly. This is a clear example. You wanted them to get.rid.of something that others wanted them to keep. Maybe I'm not the only one that doesn't fully understand game development

Xaerxiessia

Lost in Translation
Again, this does not answer my question. (see gif above) What have we LOST. what mechanical advantage did tumble give a player, at all but specifically with traps, that has gone away? dur claimed that we could NO LONGER tumble through traps. I cannot find any indication that tumble USED to give a mechanical advantage against taps. If you want to argue the bonus we NOW get is not enough, I disagree, but fine. But please stop trying to prove the current bonus isn't enough. If tumble never provide a mechanical advantage against traps, then (when it comes to traps) tumble was not nerfed. Even if you don't find the changes useful.

Again, I am willing to be shown that I am wrong. I never used tumble prior to the Experimental changes. My evidence is going through the page history on the wiki. I very well may have missed something. But so far, after repeated asking, no one has explained to me that a mechanical advantage was taken away from tumble. I get that there are now charges. You say that the Jungle of Khyber trap requires more than one tumble, has this changed? could you get through in 1 tumble before the changes? If you could, would that get you through the trap without damage?
cloak of night > invisibility > pulling mobs .
tumble was not only about running (through traps or not) .
And that's just one example.

canicus

cloak of night > invisibility > pulling mobs .
tumble was not only about running (through traps or not) .
And that's just one example.
I'm not familiar with this, so I don't understand the shorthand here. How is tumble involved. (Not trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely ignorant)

Xaerxiessia

Lost in Translation
As far as why they would not just get rid of the experimental controls, they did and between Lams some people complained. They liked the ability to tumble while moving and wanted tumble to be useful.
Pretending that these decisions have clear objectively correct solutions is silly. This is a clear example. You wanted them to get.rid.of something that others wanted them to keep. Maybe I'm not the only one that doesn't fully understand game development
the way experiment control is implemented compared to normal behavior , is only allowing to tumble while already moving.
This only advantaged those who abused of of tumble skill to compete with mounts.
So if this the reason they nerfed it for : This is perverse.