Chest lock indicator

Ahpuch

A digression about the chest lock indication in a recent thread (https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?th...ber-revisions-feedback.3973/page-5#post-42355) "triggered" me to post my thoughts that I had previously thought not worth the time....

I can see how the icon above the chest indicating that a chest is locked but can be picked, maybe nice, but IMO, is an inverted message. All locks should be pickable and there is the obvious complaint that the lock to indicate should be on the chest itself and not hovering in midair but even that misses the point. With the new indicator, a chest that is unlocked and one that is locked and not accessible until a game objective is met have the same visual. Thus this new indicator fails to convey important details.

Get rid of the floating lock and since all locks should be pickable there really should be 3 chest images used to indicate these 3 states:
  1. Chest without a lock. (no lock image on the chest)
  2. Chest with a lock that is locked (show a lock ON the chest, not above). Once the lock is removed it can use the #1 image, the lock just disappears).
  3. Chest that is locked by quest objectives (killing boss etc) - make the chest glow with a force field or something to indicate its magical locking mechanism and cannot be picked or opened yet. Once the objective is met he force field disappears, use the first image again.

Now, I doubt that the devs are going to go back and fix their previous bad idea. The biggest issue for me is that this "solution" will prevent better solutions in the future. Maybe before implementing lazy "helpers" for the players in the future, devs can look at the problem from an immersion perspective and come up with a solution that fits the game world rather than drawing attention to how fake it all is.

Lazuli

It's how it should have been: well-made images of the chests, not a cartoonish icon on the chests that breaks the immersion.

But I don't think they want to spend time doing things right, rather they seem busy changing what no one has asked them to change...

Fleming

I think the 'horny' Amrath chests show a padlock lying on the ground once they have been opened. I always thought that was a cool effect.

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
Chest that is locked by quest objectives (killing boss etc) - make the chest glow with a force field or something to indicate its magical locking mechanism and cannot be picked or opened yet. Once the objective is met he force field disappears, use the first image again.
And that is totally viable. The chest on Smash and Burn is locked by a forcefield until we press the three buttons to unlock it.

Kritikal

While I still prefer an on/off toggle, this would make a lot more sense than what the Devs implemented.

CBDunk

I agree the 'three images' solution described in the OP would be ideal.

I also don't care if it is never implemented... because the practical difference between that ideal and what we have now is (to me) negligible. Note that there are numerous different chest designs in the game these days. Having to create locked, unlocked, and shielded versions of each could be quite a bit of development.

I'd much rather developers spend their time giving us a toggle or other way to get back the big loud alerts which were actually EFFECTIVE at notifying the group of traps before someone stumbled into them... or any of a thousand other things.

RangerOne

I think I triggered this and just let CBDunk know that his reply in the Amber thread that his post makes perfect sense and has re-aligned my thinking. Ultimately it doesn't man much. Even with the symbol I still rush up to rattle the lock first. At least I think we can all agree it beats the giant question and exclamation mark they had originally.

Fizban

Now, I doubt that the devs are going to go back and fix their previous bad idea. The biggest issue for me is that this "solution" will prevent better solutions in the future. Maybe before implementing lazy "helpers" for the players in the future, devs can look at the problem from an immersion perspective and come up with a solution that fits the game world rather than drawing attention to how fake it all is.
Be sure not to mix your personal suggestion to being a fix for the game. In effect the locked chest image is working as intended and doesn't need to be fixed. I am one of the players that didn't think any cartoonish images should have been put in the game whether it was for locked chests, traps, secret doors, etc...

I don't want to see any cartoonish images in DDO. No swords that are 2-5 times bigger than your body, not realistic. I don't want DDO to look like World of Warcraft in its massive cartoon look.

Ahpuch

Be sure not to mix your personal suggestion to being a fix for the game. In effect the locked chest image is working as intended and doesn't need to be fixed. I am one of the players that didn't think any cartoonish images should have been put in the game whether it was for locked chests, traps, secret doors, etc...

I don't want to see any cartoonish images in DDO. No swords that are 2-5 times bigger than your body, not realistic. I don't want DDO to look like World of Warcraft in its massive cartoon look.

I am with you on a desire to see less cartoonish images. I also don't like the big light arcs when one swings their weapon. That preference is one of the reasons I don't like a cartoony lock floating above a chest. Additionally the lock may be working as intended but the intent was wrong IMO as I put forth in my post. It does not convey the needed information and what (and how) it does convey that does not improve immersion.

Last edited:

Jomee

F41pwGi.jpg

I didn't think the lock symbol was so bad at first, actually kind of liked but then it became a bit much!

Memnir

I'm not sure what the "fix" is to the new "locked" symbol, but honestly it feels like I'm being talked down to each time I see it. Like I'm being treated as if I'm not a smart person, and I find it low-key insulting. That's why I don't like the current implementation.

l_remmie

I love this update. I'm happy with seeing that a chest is locked at a glance. Showing progression locked chests with forcefields is a great idea though.