China bans Daily Dice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Blonde

Catalogues Bugs
Honestly who cares. If China wants to ban DDO, then this has ZERO impact an anyone else. That said, the moment the game Dev's bow to political pressures so a minority of players in China can play, is the day I walk away from DDO.
Nearly half of Sarlona's population is Chinese. If I had to choose between Daily Dice and them, I'd choose them every time.

Br4d

Monetizing gambling is a huge issue if you have children playing the game and I'm not sure what age I would put on children. Maybe 18+, maybe 21+, maybe 25+.

Yamani

Tyrannical Overlord
Who cares about the daily dice, the rules about the computer servers being required to be in China is more interesting.

Br4d

Who cares about the daily dice, the rules about the computer servers being required to be in China is more interesting.

China has a major problem. The citizenry do not feel empowered to do much that is productive with their life. This is primarily because the game is so rigged towards the ruling elite.

The attempts to legislate social responsibility in the absence of any tangible rewards for being socially responsible are doomed to fail.

It's just human nature to rebel against oppressive authority.

gravisrs

From DDO EU servers
It shouldn't be hard to remove Daily Dice only for specific IP pools.

But moving servers to the country that is famous from having zero intellectual rights for foreign technologies, way too risky. Look how they cloned WoW in Tarisland, they even steal assets from World of Warcraft (and for the rest they used AI trained on WoW assets)

DDO Gaming

From reading this (link below) I am wondering if the proposed ban applies to DDO's Daily Dice and Astral Shard AH? It sounds like it would although SSG is not based on China there are some players there.
daily dice has no relevance to online gambling. the sole purpose of daily dice is to randomly alllocate one of a number of possible rewards to your account irrespective of whether you are paying for content or F2P.

I shall use this moment to mock all the paranoid postings which clearly display zero understanding of law mechanics

Br4d

daily dice has no relevance to online gambling. the sole purpose of daily dice is to randomly alllocate one of a number of possible rewards to your account irrespective of whether you are paying for content or F2P.

I shall use this moment to mock all the paranoid postings which clearly display zero understanding of law mechanics
You are looking at daily dice from a F2P/VIP perspective. In fact daily dice are a gambling mechanism in which you pay cash (astral shards) to roll for a random reward in the expectation that doing enough rolls will produce valuable random rewards over time.

Gambling 101.

DDO Gaming

You are looking at daily dice from a F2P/VIP perspective. In fact daily dice are a gambling mechanism in which you pay cash (astral shards) to roll for a random reward in the expectation that doing enough rolls will produce valuable random rewards over time.

Gambling 101.
False, purchasing astral shards etc facilitates further risk/reward attempts and once again has no relevance to gambling.

DDO Gaming

law mechanics 101 teaches you that gambling mechanics equates to placing a bet that an event ocurs (hence sports betting etc)

THAT IS GAMBLING 101 and occurs NOWHERE IN DDO

EvilDragon

DDO has no issue with it because technically DDO isn't serviced to China.
SSG has no obligation to do anything even if Chineses can play DDO - that is technically already illegal to those people.
Any further discussion about this will not be meaningful unless SSG is going to provide a localised version of DDO in Chinese region.

DDO Gaming

Yes they do. Anything that you pay cash for that has an indeterminate result is gambling. That includes daily dice and collectable crates.
So extrapolating when you cross the road that also has an indeterminate result and is therefore gambling. Keep trying

Br4d

So extrapolating when you cross the road that also has an indeterminate result and is therefore gambling. Keep trying

If I pay cash to cross the road with little idea of what the end result will be it is indeed gambling.

Just to make this simple for you: if you pay cash for an indeterminate result you're gambling. This is true if you're buying daily dice attempts or lottery tickets. Same thing.

DDO Gaming

If I pay cash to cross the road with little idea of what the end result will be it is indeed gambling.

Just to make this simple for you: if you pay cash for an indeterminate result you're gambling. This is true if you're buying daily dice attempts or lottery tickets. Same thing.
Legally gambling equates to placing a bet that a particular event occurs. And that is the base foundation of ALL gambling products.

How you choose to twist that using creative logic is your personal thing and has no relevance to the way LAW interprets gambling

Cyran

Legally gambling equates to placing a bet that a particular event occurs. And that is the base foundation of ALL gambling products.

How you choose to twist that using creative logic is your personal thing and has no relevance to the way LAW interprets gambling
Daily Dice clearly falls under the same category of gambling as slot machines. You are betting that the astral shard you spend will result in you receiving something you value more then those astral shard just like you betting the money you put in a slot machine will result in more money coming out. There no difference.

DDO Gaming

Daily Dice clearly falls under the same category of gambling as slot machines. You are betting that the astral shard you spend will result in you receiving something you value more then those astral shard just like you betting the money you put in a slot machine will result in more money coming out. There no difference.
more creative logic. Legally gambling equates to placing a bet that a particular event occurs. And that is the base foundation of ALL gambling products. The sole diference between a slot machine and a gambling broker is you;re putting coins in a machine and pressing some buttons. You are still placing a bet that a particular range of events will occur

Status
Not open for further replies.