China bans Daily Dice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyran

more creative logic. Legally gambling equates to placing a bet that a particular event occurs. And that is the base foundation of ALL gambling products. The sole diference between a slot machine and a gambling broker is you;re putting coins in a machine and pressing some buttons. You are still placing a bet that a particular range of events will occur
My bet I put enough astral shards in I will get the cosmetics I looking for that only drops in daily dice. I making a bet looking for a particular event to occur.

DDO Gaming

There is ONE aspect of buying astral shards to reroll daily dice that MIGHT be problematic: equivalence transactions ie is the value of the reward equivalent to the shard you invested obtaining it?

This is where SSG might stumble not just in china but any country. And I know this because a recent case a few montsh ago was settled inwhich a gaming company was forced to change the way rewards worked because the random reward wasn;t guaranteed to be equivalent in value to the coins invested

Br4d

more creative logic. Legally gambling equates to placing a bet that a particular event occurs. And that is the base foundation of ALL gambling products. The sole diference between a slot machine and a gambling broker is you;re putting coins in a machine and pressing some buttons. You are still placing a bet that a particular range of events will occur

When you purchase a daily dice roll you're putting coins in a machine and pressing some buttons in the expectation that a particular range of events will occur.

If you really want to keep blargulating when you're clearly wrong feel free too but I feel that my obligation to educate you about gambling has expired.

DDO Gaming

When you purchase a daily dice roll you're putting coins in a machine and pressing some buttons in the expectation that a particular range of events will occur.

If you really want to keep blargulating when you're clearly wrong feel free too but I feel that my obligation to educate you about gambling has expired.
There is ONE aspect of buying astral shards to reroll daily dice that MIGHT be problematic: equivalence transactions ie is the value of the reward equivalent to the shard you invested obtaining it?

This is where SSG might stumble not just in china but any country. And I know this because a recent case a few montsh ago was settled inwhich a gaming company was forced to change the way rewards worked because the random reward wasn;t guaranteed to be equivalent in value to the coins invested
:)(y)

Col Kurtz

well..if ddo dice is Gambling> it would be illegal in Utah too ;)

its one of those things that sits on the fence between ... & could be called either way

I'm not to worried about ddo dice...the one that gets me thinking are the 'free' giveaways on places like Radio programs. When they require a TEXT to be eligible at 1$ a message and still call it a giveaway! At least you know what you're purchasing with DDO dice. DDO gives you a product you can do anything with and that is astral shards> how you use them may be a gamble but its not really gambling technically.

Ahpuch

Sure, daily Dice is not gambling by law in US, Canada, Europe, South America, …

But it is a form of gambling and this thread is about whether the new rules make it illegal in China. If Ddo Gaming is a lawyer in China then the opinions stated by them is worth noting. Otherwise, …

mbartol

Murder Hobo
How many times has the DDO gambling argument been carried out over the years?

How many lawsuits resulted in game changes?

But carry on with the pointless interpretations of laws and semantics—maybe SSG’s legal team will weigh in /s

DDO Gaming

Sure, daily Dice is not gambling by law in US, Canada, Europe, South America, …

But it is a form of gambling and this thread is about whether the new rules make it illegal in China. If Ddo Gaming is a lawyer in China then the opinions stated by them is worth noting. Otherwise, …
I didn't read the new york article because of cookies blah blah however variety carried an article:

//Games operators will be barred from giving players rewards if they log in every day, if they spend on the game for the first time or if they spend several times on the game consecutively. Operators will be required to set limits on how much players can top up their digital wallets for in-game spending https://variety.com/2023/gaming/news/china-online-games-regulations-1235849353/ //

THAT HAS NO RELEVANCE TO GAMBLING. The chinese government wants to impose curbs possoibly including reducing traffic pressure on their network infrastructure. Addiction issues may also be involved

Edrein

Nearly half of Sarlona's population is Chinese. If I had to choose between Daily Dice and them, I'd choose them every time.
Same, they are ironically some of the nicer players I've met and interacted with over the years even with the language barrier.

DDO Gaming

I didn't read the new york article because of cookies blah blah however variety carried an article:

//Games operators will be barred from giving players rewards if they log in every day, if they spend on the game for the first time or if they spend several times on the game consecutively. Operators will be required to set limits on how much players can top up their digital wallets for in-game spending https://variety.com/2023/gaming/news/china-online-games-regulations-1235849353/ //

THAT HAS NO RELEVANCE TO GAMBLING. The chinese government wants to impose curbs possoibly including reducing traffic pressure on their network infrastructure. Addiction issues may also be involved
Actually this opens a whole new can of worms for gaming companies: are the days of free2play under threat simply because they generate too much network traffic...and not enough revenue?

CherryBomb

They are simply halting the outflow of hard earned China cash. Stopping the purchases of players of a non-local game is intended to fix the bankruptcy situation that the entire county is/is about to experience. One daily roll at a time.

And besides, you should remember that Durk has a secret. shhhhh

DDO Gaming

They are simply halting the outflow of hard earned China cash. Stopping the purchases of players of a non-local game is intended to fix the bankruptcy situation that the entire county is/is about to experience. One daily roll at a time.
// The proposals revealed on Friday hit the shares of Chinese gaming giants Tencent and NetEase and dented those of other companies with operations n the Chinese market. The Reuters news agency calculated that nearly $80 billion was briefly wiped from the valuations of the two Chinese companies. //

Ahpuch

Jummby

Honestly who cares. If China wants to ban DDO, then this has ZERO impact an anyone else. That said, the moment the game Dev's bow to political pressures so a minority of players in China can play, is the day I walk away from DDO.
You should care, there are alot of people in China that play this game. If the game.gets banned their for some reason SSG could have an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.