Cleaning out the old...

Hawkeye

I played a lot back when level 10 was the max and was more or less around until around menace of the underdark. Anyway, I've recently returned and am having fun playing again. I checked out my bank toons and I have a bunch of the older equipment around. I have stuff from way back like +5 mithral chain shirts and cloaks of great blah resistance. Is there any reason to actually keep these items? Or some kind of crafting thing that benefits from these old attributes? Seems like these days the stuff is significantly more powerful than things from that era. Just curious before I start sorting stuff out...

Col Kurtz

heroic low lvl Paragon weapons are usually still OP

Vorpal is fairly rare Prefix now, so any those ml 1-12 should still be handy

Cheeps

Tired Member
I got a bunch of that old school vendor trash in my mailbox storage.

I think I still have prizes from the way old school ddo lottery system in there, too.

Last edited:

nenetteblackmoor

Race-restricted weapons are currently not dropped.

Furthermore, items with distinctive appearances, like Half Plate featuring the Full Plate icon, are scarce as they only drop in specific quests.

Matuse

I played a lot back when level 10 was the max and was more or less around until around menace of the underdark. Anyway, I've recently returned and am having fun playing again. I checked out my bank toons and I have a bunch of the older equipment around. I have stuff from way back like +5 mithral chain shirts and cloaks of great blah resistance. Is there any reason to actually keep these items? Or some kind of crafting thing that benefits from these old attributes? Seems like these days the stuff is significantly more powerful than things from that era. Just curious before I start sorting stuff out...
Most of that stuff is severely outdated. Mithril and Adamantine armor used to be really valuable, but ever since item sets became a thing and armor is the centerpiece of most sets, random generated just doesn't cut it anymore.

There might be some treasures, don't get rid of all of it without checking it against more modern gear. Most of it can end up being mulched into Cannith essences to boost crafting level.

FuzzyDuck81

Stuff like shield clickies are still very popular, ditto the old cloak of ice with the blue fireshield clicky. Some older named gear is still very solid as the scaling on random loot has changed, eg. Phiarlan mirror cloak for spell resistance at low to mid heroics & the ML2 tattered gloves have fire spell lore that you won't get on random loot until level 10+. Unbound versions of old items like the mace of smiting & sunblade are still handy, as while they don't have the augment slot that the new ones have, they can be transferred between characters easily. Weapons with alternative critical profiles are still great & can carry you partway into epics if you're not bothered about not being able to put sentient filigrees into them; shining devastation is still one mean basher & the axe of the unseen blow is stupidly good for certain builds. The old ToEE crafted weapons that have the AoE procs don't drop any more but can still be upgraded if you have the materials (which also no longer drop) & the heroic ones can be very desirable for people running TRs.

Hawkeye

What about just random stuff with just augment slots on it? like nothing else but a slot. I found a toon with just these... haha not even sure when I got these....

Theo

The other thing to think about is that when they re-did the prefixes & suffixes they change what type of item they can be on.
So if you like multi-class builds and need to fit a +ability in a spot that is not in the new ones they can come in handy.
I have this issue on one toon and have some leveling items that make the gear tetris easier.

Other than that clickies are rare and any of the good ones should be kept, things like shield, invisibility, exp retreat, blur, etc think hard before tossing them.