Continuously Being Booted From the Server

Layla.Kay

For the last three weeks or so, me and my alt accounts, and friends I play with, keep getting randomly booted from the game.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Try this and see if it helps any.
1) Are you on wifi? The game is really bad at handling dropped packets if the wifi signal isn't super strong.
2) In your documents folder>DDO>userpreferences.ini file, back up the file and edit the original for the line for ConnectionSpeed to:
ConnectionSpeed=10000.00
Some people report it having a big value in there like that vs the default values helps with load times and connection stuff (if it causes issues, just restore your backup of the userpreferences).

Layla.Kay

No, I am hard wired! Lol! It's very odd. This has not been a problem since I began playing in 2009, until recently. I would think it must be happening to others besides me.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
People have been mentioning various connection issues recently on discord and on forum posts so if I had to guess there's likely network issues between where some folks are located and SSG's servers. I'd still give the connectionspeed setting a go (I use it for my hardwire connection) just to see if it helps any.

Layla.Kay

People have been mentioning various connection issues recently on discord and on forum posts so if I had to guess there's likely network issues between where some folks are located and SSG's servers. I'd still give the connectionspeed setting a go (I use it for my hardwire connection) just to see if it helps any.
I don't suppose it could hurt. Thank you.

Xaerxiessia

Lost in Translation
As rabidfox said , if you 're hardwired , prey that it's not your ISP that dispatch packets through alternate paths.
If that persist , may you gather consistent infos from other players / users who encounter this problem to identify a potential guilty provider and also get confirmation from your ISP that they do not mess up.

I wish you good luck ^^

Xaerxiessia

Lost in Translation
It may be related to what happened yesterday.
Looks like a failing board on a switch-router. That can cause µ-cuts with packets loss in established connections.

Smokewolf

Another likely source for those in the US is how cable providers handle their customers within "communities". Such as apartments and suburban areas that are stuck with the same provider. Once a provider has a monopoly in an area, they're not likely to improve the infrastructure much. Resulting in the local switching being bogged down, as the service has to be interleaved (time shared) between the active customers. The more people that are home, the worse your connection will become. Resulting in a ping / latency that can increase beyond the TTL (time to live) requirements of the service your connected with.

Q: Are you being booted during peak hours in your area?

Jasparius

Another likely source for those in the US is how cable providers handle their customers within "communities". Such as apartments and suburban areas that are stuck with the same provider. Once a provider has a monopoly in an area, they're not likely to improve the infrastructure much. Resulting in the local switching being bogged down, as the service has to be interleaved (time shared) between the active customers. The more people that are home, the worse your connection will become. Resulting in a ping / latency that can increase beyond the TTL (time to live) requirements of the service your connected with.

Q: Are you being booted during peak hours in your area?

Im in Australia and play with Australian friends. I cant imagine even the worst US ISPs have pings worse than us. Dropped packets however may be the cause if its sustained.

Smokewolf

Im in Australia and play with Australian friends. I cant imagine even the worst US ISPs have pings worse than us. Dropped packets however may be the cause if its sustained.
Try using a trace route over a prolonged period of time. (there are apps for this, Windows has a basic one built in) It will collect data about your latency, # of hops, packet drop rates and most importantly when. This will tell you if your problem is local and if it occurs during peak usage hours for your area.

Also, have your ISP perform a (on premises) line check. For both Cable and DSL, there should be a minimum amount of resistance from inside your premises to the hook-up point outside of it. Most of this comes from the cable type used (example RG-58), but in some setups a special attenuator is added in-line for impedance matching. If either the cable or the attenuator is bad, the signal DB and quality will consistently read low / noisy, despite still making a connection. Typically, the cable and attenuator go bad due to moisture, age, or physical contact during gardening misadventures. Attenuators are very easy / cheap to replace, unlike the cable that's buried in your yard.

Side note (1): Most personal (not rented from your ISP) routers can perform a line DB and noise check. It's a good idea to do this annually and write the figures down for later comparison.

Side note (2): Years ago, we had a bad attenuator on a new home, that needed to be replaced. Found out that the cable hook up, was installed several years before the house was built, which during that time the attenuator was directly exposed to the elements. Had to fight the ISP to get them to perform the check on what they considered to be a new system. (Yeah they treat other tech guys like idiots too, not just house wives) Once they did the check, it was quick and simple replacement. Never had connection issues after that. Even got compensated for three months of billing, which was nice.

Last edited: