crafting: material batch and socket engraving

Valerianus

Former Captain Of The Rotten Shark
to make crafting more versatile, since it's its main purpose, but also to dramatically reduce storage hoarding data, i suggest an extra option to let us dissolve e.g. an adamantine weapon\armor into an adamantine batch (same for mithril\blueshine\densewood and all) and also for items with augment slots the option to dissolve them to get a (colorless\red\blue and all) socket engraving. the option about dissolving for essences obviously is left as it is. items with double socket could just give a double socket engraving, used to unlock two socket options to be crafted afterwards.

these new materials are obviously used in new recipes to craft e.g. a cold iron weapon out of one (or more) cold iron batch and eventually adding to it a red slot consuming one (or more) red socket engraving.

versatility, less storage clog, less storage data, and also maybe materials market.

a problem: base armors\shields are clunkily organized with absolute minimum levels stats. but it's not silly to expect and hope for a rework based on ml like weapons had.

thank you for reading!

Upvote 5

seph1roth5

If they want crafting to compete in any way with named gear, it needs either the option for more effects, or the ability to actually CRAFT set bonuses on things. Craft it on there without it taking up an effect slot, needing 3 augments, or turning off all sets or anything like that.

They could be slightly weaker than raid gear but no reason why it can't be as good as named gear. Can even lock some stuff to certain packs if you want, bring back the mystic broccoli!

Visik

I like the idea that you could, for example, disjunct an item to receive an augment pattern, then apply some number of augment patterns to a blank to create a slot of the matching color in that blank. And adding a second augment slot would require 5x the number of augment patterns.

So, for example, to add a ruby augment slot to an item, you'd need to disjunct 10 items with ruby augment slots to get 10 ruby augment patterns, then add those patterns to a blank (perhaps requiring an item much like a Mark of House Cannith as well) to create a ruby augment slot in the blank.
Then, to add an orange slot, you'd need to disjunct an additional 50 items with orange augment slots to get 50 orange augment patterns and add those patterns to a blank to create a 2nd (orange) augment slot. Or if orange augment slots don't occur on random lootgen: 50 red and 50 yellow patterns....

They would, ofc, have to enforce sequencing: Can't have a secondary color augment slot without first having a primary color slot (red before orange or purple). Whatever other rules there are about augments would also need to be enforced (no red augment slots on non-weapons, for example).

Similarly, I think it should require disjuncting more than one item for its material in order to add that material type to a blank.

And they could make all of it BtA only and require CC level 400 for 100% success rate to encourage people to max their CC. At this point, you only need about CC level 300-320 if you only ever make stuff for yourself.

Visik

I would worry this would cheapen rare crafting blanks too much, if you could just ie craft a double socket mithral armor or something

I think it would instead increase the value of the more common 1 augment slot blanks, especially if my suggestions were followed.

If it took 60 (or 110) items with augment slots to create a dual-slot blank, I think the value of dual-augment slot blanks would not plummet.

Aelonwy

It was suggested a long time ago to use gem stones as part of the recipe in crafting to create an augment slot on a blank. 50 Star Rubies + X Ruby Augment Patterns + 5 PEDs to add a ruby slot to a blank. Something like that?

Visik

It was suggested a long time ago to use gem stones as part of the recipe in crafting to create an augment slot on a blank. 50 Star Rubies + X Ruby Augment Patterns + 5 PEDs to add a ruby slot to a blank. Something like that?

That would at least slightly increase the interest in the Crystal Cove event, and tie CC to CC :)

But really, I'd be open to a number of approaches, as long as they didn't generate too many additional crafting ingredients. The game already has a massive pile of collectables and ingredients and the like.

Aelonwy

I meant regular gems but I guess it doesn't really matter if its regular gems or Crystal Cove gems... except that regular gems are always available although you cannot exactly farm any particular type at any particular moment and Crystal Cove gems are only available for farming when Crystal Cove is open although once you have a stockpile are always available to you.

While I would prefer more consolidation of the various crafting systems within DDO... I'm not sure a once or sometimes twice a year event ingredient is the way to go about it. So I lean toward preferring regular gems as currently their only purpose is to sell for currency.

It would reduce the acquisition of plat a little too. In fact requiring exorbitant numbers of gems for the recipe would both reduce player currency (a little) and additionally would keep the recipe for adding one or more augment slots to an item infrequent because how long does it take to get 50 Star Rubies? 100? What if a recipe called for 250 Star Rubies? It would definitely be awhile before you could add an augment slot to a crafting blank without weighing the pros and cons.

Visik

I meant regular gems but I guess it doesn't really matter if its regular gems or Crystal Cove gems... except that regular gems are always available although you cannot exactly farm any particular type at any particular moment and Crystal Cove gems are only available for farming when Crystal Cove is open although once you have a stockpile are always available to you.

While I would prefer more consolidation of the various crafting systems within DDO... I'm not sure a once or sometimes twice a year event ingredient is the way to go about it. So I lean toward preferring regular gems as currently their only purpose is to sell for currency.

It would reduce the acquisition of plat a little too. In fact requiring exorbitant numbers of gems for the recipe would both reduce player currency (a little) and additionally would keep the recipe for adding one or more augment slots to an item infrequent because how long does it take to get 50 Star Rubies? 100? What if a recipe called for 250 Star Rubies? It would definitely be awhile before you could add an augment slot to a crafting blank without weighing the pros and cons.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!

Do NOT give them a reason to make us collect gems, too. That has the opposite effect on the proliferation of collectables. And having to sort through one's gems before selling, rather than simply using the 'Sell gems' button does not improve gameplay in any way.

At least the Crystal Cove gems are already collectables.

I MUCH prefer the idea of generating four or seven new ingredients that you gain only from Disjuncting random loot with augment slots (I'd rather none, but I can't think how to do it without them). Call them 'patterns' or 'engravings' with Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire, Topaz (and possibly Orange, Purple, & Green) versions. You could limit it to four by having disjuncting an item with a secondary color augment slot provide either one of each color that contributes to that color, or by letting you choose one or the other. Anyone who doesn't Cannith Craft need never encounter them or store them. That would leave only the question of how many patterns/engravings one would require in order to craft an Augment Slot onto a blank.

Aelonwy

I don't see sorting out a few gems as problematic but it doesn't matter that much to me. I mean assuming they only let us craft the basic slots Red/Blue/Yellow/Clear that's only four gems. I would assume they would want to keep orange/green/purple slots exclusive to named gear and there aren't orange/Purple/Green gems expensive enough to be worthy of such recipes anyways.

Visik

I don't see sorting out a few gems as problematic but it doesn't matter that much to me. I mean assuming they only let us craft the basic slots Red/Blue/Yellow/Clear that's only four gems. I would assume they would want to keep orange/green/purple slots exclusive to named gear and there aren't orange/Purple/Green gems expensive enough to be worthy of such recipes anyways.
Yet another reason to not use gems, as if we needed more.