Customizable Guild Cloaks

Bheleram

So I looked up the 13th Anniversary Party Cosmetic Cloaks and it made me think of something.
Guilds don't really have any distinctive features except for their names and I suppose that some identity would be a great addition to the overall atmosphere since roughly most of the players are members of a guild.
The most basic idea would be a customizable banner but I don't really see any fisible application for this option. So what I'd suggest are customizable guild cloaks. Say, a guild-lead would generate guild's coat of arms which could be then applied to cloaks of those guild members.
I see a problem with implementing it though as I can't come by any exisiting in-game instruments that would allow for creation of this coat of arms. As for the rest of the process, here are my thoughts:
1. Once a guild pattern is created it can be sent by mail to guild members like an invitation. It (as an ingredient) would feature basic color, the pattern itself and it might be rank-dependent (i.e. officers and the leader would get some additional ornaments). It should then be combined with a special blank cosmetic cloak via some sort of crafting UI like stone of change or cannith crafting.
2. The prerequisite for that cloak would be a specific guild membership. The change of the pattern could only be made by the guild leader and would cost some like a name certificate does (so that people wouldn't just spam it). Any cloak of that sort would be BtA. There might be an insignificant guild level threshold as well to avoid spam.
3. If a guild ceases to exist for some reason, then the prerequisite vanishes or the cloak is not wearable anymore (that seems like a minor issue at this point).
I'd love to hear whether others find this interesting/any suggestion on implementation.

UPD: A character look customization UI (the one featured during character creation stage) might do the thing?..

Last edited:
Upvote 5

Muggins

In the MMORPG Dark Age of Camelot, that's exactly what they had. Guild cloaks. It was very useful when doing a PvE raid where you were separating forces to take different towers and different guilds were manning specific trebuchet/ballista/battering rams. Find your guild's cloak in the crowd and head to them even if arriving late. Other than for the sake of morale, I don't see a reason in DDO for differentiating guilds. No raid is that complex and the max we can have in a dungeon is 12. Not the 100 or more needed in DAoC for a full-scale Castle invasion or Dragon raid. Also, there are 1000's of guilds across the servers and so the permutations of colors/designs would have to be huge... It's just too much coding for so very little need.