Daily Restarts

WickedSloth

I have a feeling something could be done. The lag last weekend on Orien was different. It wasn't causing issues in quests, only logging in/out and interacting with inventory etc. At some point, it was somehow fixed, and all of those things became incredibly more responsive then ever. I feel like I could have cleared a TR cache as fast as a clicked. I would gladly take more of whatever fix that was.

Jummby

Maybe putting 2 restarts a week would make more sense. One before the weekend and after on a Tuesday, might help a bit.

Kyrr

Please refrain from the absurd suggestion of resetting the server daily, as it only affects players in different time zones.
DDO is a worldwide game available on the internet.

What SSG should do is fix the memory leak bug rather than resorting to resets.
What does memory leak have to do with traversal and combat lag? Those are two different things, and would quite rather have physical lag fixed than memory leaks.

Ostwind-Cannith

these servers have to be virtual machines by this point...? don't they?? there's a lot of fail safes inherent in that that make rebooting safer than people up yonder are freaking about.

nenetteblackmoor

What does memory leak have to do with traversal and combat lag? Those are two different things, and would quite rather have physical lag fixed than memory leaks.
It's a simple story.
I'm a game programmer, and I believe there's a leak somewhere in DDO's server program.
Memory leaks aren't exclusive to client programs.
They're common bugs that also occur in servers.

If the issue can be resolved by resetting the server, I believe it's a bug caused by small accumulations resembling leaks.

There are various possibilities, such as the accumulation of unprocessed combat queues.
Bugs caused by unreleased data are the source of all bugs.

Last edited:

Kyrr

It's a simple story.
I'm a game programmer, and I believe there's a leak somewhere in DDO's server program.
Memory leaks aren't exclusive to client programs.
They're common bugs that also occur in servers.

If the issue can be resolved by resetting the server, I believe it's a bug caused by small accumulations resembling leaks.

There are various possibilities, such as the accumulation of unprocessed combat queues.
Bugs caused by unreleased data are the source of all bugs.
Resetting the server doesn't solve the problem, lag is there immediately after restarts including raids. It's less noticeable than at night with more activity but I feel it whether or not a server has restarted.

What I will agree on being a development of program myself, is that memory usage is high. Usually means spaghetti of code that isn't efficient. With an old game like this, there's a good chunk of spaghetti code that's inefficient that causes high memory usage or spikes in memory usage.

Memory leaks are what occurs when swapping between loading screens. Completely different.

nenetteblackmoor

Resetting the server doesn't solve the problem, lag is there immediately after restarts including raids. It's less noticeable than at night with more activity but I feel it whether or not a server has restarted.

What I will agree on being a development of program myself, is that memory usage is high. Usually means spaghetti of code that isn't efficient. With an old game like this, there's a good chunk of spaghetti code that's inefficient that causes high memory usage or spikes in memory usage.

Memory leaks are what occurs when swapping between loading screens. Completely different.

Memory leak is a bug where allocated memory is not released, and it's not limited to just loading screens.
Furthermore, it's not only a DDO bug.

Furthermore, the issues caused by memory leaks aren't limited to just memory constraints.
Neglecting to release memory that should be freed can lead to additional tasks being generated and ultimately result in processing delays.
So, don't think of memory leaks solely as memory constraints.

Ultimately, whatever outsiders say is just speculation, you know.

CherryBomb

Hey, if you turn off that light bulb that has been burning continuously for the last 15 years may result in permanent darkness.

Power cycling is not always the safest decision.