DDO Admin Mode

canicus

DDO has started opening needing admin privileges all the time in the last week for me. I have looked and don't see anything on the file or shortcut that indicates run as admin. Does anyone know how to get this to stop?

Br4d

Have you created a new local account on your PC? If so it is possible that you did not specify admin privileges on that account. Whenever DDO (or any other app) requires changes on such an account it will prompt you for an account with admin privileges.

Sylvado

Have you created a new local account on your PC? If so it is possible that you did not specify admin privileges on that account. Whenever DDO (or any other app) requires changes on such an account it will prompt you for an account with admin privileges.
That is not what he means, it is prompting for elevated privileges even after the update is done. I have noticed it since this week's update as well but it didn't do it when I checked just now. I will reboot and try again.

EDIT: No longer getting it even after the reboot, it happened 2 or 3 times after the update

Br4d

I'll check it when I get home. I run off of a local account without admin privileges as an additional security measure.

I haven't logged in for a couple of weeks so it will definitely ask me for an admin account on the first login. The question is whether it asks again after that login. Usually it requires one such login after an update and not then again until something changes.

Jomee

DDO has started opening needing admin privileges all the time in the last week for me. I have looked and don't see anything on the file or shortcut that indicates run as admin. Does anyone know how to get this to stop?
If you 'right click' on the icon, you should have the option to run as an administrator. I did get this notice before and used the right click to run as admin just one time. It didn't come back again.

canicus

If you 'right click' on the icon, you should have the option to run as an administrator. I did get this notice before and used the right click to run as admin just one time. It didn't come back again.
I don't want it to run in admin mode. That is my problem, it is asking for admin privileges every time. even when there is no patch

Mobius

You'll have mixed results with the right-click, Run As Admin options. What you really need is admin rights to whatever folder DNDLauncher.exe is located in.

Stoner81

I don't want it to run in admin mode. That is my problem, it is asking for admin privileges every time. even when there is no patch

Chances are that you have it installed in your Program Files directory. Windows 10 and 11 are very twitchy about things being modified in those folders. I believe that upon running the launcher the game needs read and write access to certain files within your install directory hence it needing administrator access.

You could cut and paste the entire DDO folder to somewhere like:

C:\Games\<your DDO folder here>

This "should" stop this from happening. You will need to make a new shortcut to the launcher and that should be it.

This is how I install all my games and have done for years.

Stoner81.

Xaerxiessia

Lost in Translation
How is this different from downloading the client from ddo.com. I don't use steam at all for ddo
Steam or not , this method allow you to get a portable install with users' rights and to be able to save your install into a zip archive.
And thus , to be able to deploy it with users' right and run & update the install as a user , not an admin, or to recover easily from files' corruption.