DDO and end of life for Windows 10

CherryBomb

I have not migrated to Win 11 because my perfectly good hardware is not supported (being only 1 generation early there is no security garbage). The end of life for Win 10 is scheduled to be October 14, 2025 at which time my system will turn to junk as far as running DDO. Yeah, Win 10 will continue to operate, but without support. This will be OK for a while, but cannot be a long term solution. I have not been a friend of that Bill for some time.

Will DDO finally release a native version that will run on x86 Linux? That is without emulation. DDO has about 1 1/2 years to develop a native Linux port that would free us all.

droid327

This will be OK for a while, but cannot be a long term solution.

Uhh why not? Its not like DDO is forcing you to upgrade to state-of-the-art protocols to maintain compatibility

I was on Win 7 well past its EOL and everything worked just fine

I dont see the demand for a Linux client being enough to warrant the time it'd take to port it, and maintain two clients in parallel. They dropped the Mac client, and way more people use Macs than Linux

Reaped and Ravaged

Just use a dedicated OS installation for the game and do not access any banking website or email or the like while using it. Security updates aren't really about security they are mostly about having you buy new hardware/software. If you avoid social engineering you avoid most of the issues with an older OS anyways, just do all your banking and email on a modern smartphone if you don't need to upgrade your PC.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
DDO's system requirements at one time were:
  • CPU: P4 1.6 GHz or AMD equivalent with SSE
  • CPU SPEED: 1.6 GHz
  • RAM: 1 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: 64 MB Hardware T&L -compatible video card
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 64 MB
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 11 GB
  • SOUND CARD: Yes
I doubt they have much issue with one day requiring people to run Windows 11 given how many versions of windows have come and gone since DDO launched.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
I have not migrated to Win 11 because my perfectly good hardware is not supported (being only 1 generation early there is no security garbage). The end of life for Win 10 is scheduled to be October 14, 2025 at which time my system will turn to junk as far as running DDO. Yeah, Win 10 will continue to operate, but without support. This will be OK for a while, but cannot be a long term solution. I have not been a friend of that Bill for some time.

Will DDO finally release a native version that will run on x86 Linux? That is without emulation. DDO has about 1 1/2 years to develop a native Linux port that would free us all.
Hey, I've been running DDO on an out-of-support version of Windows 10 for over 2 years now, and I'm not having any problems! (That, or the issues are constant and I've mentally adjusted to them.)

To answer your question on official Linux support, though, I'm afraid the answer is "no, probably never", for a fairly simple reason: Adding operating system compatibility to an existing program is hard. It's going to be especially hard for DDO, which is running on for two decades old - the general rule of thumb is that you want to adapt a program while it's small and the language it's written in is recent, so that you can make smaller updates when you change the program. Neither of these apply to DDO. Indeed, Turbine/SSG (not sure which) even dropped direct support for macOS fairly early on in DDO's lifetime, and DDO was initially fully compatible with that!

So, yeah. Your system won't "turn to junk" as concerns DDO when the end-of-life rolls around (according to the system requirements DDO will still run on Windows XP, for heaven's sake), but if you want to keep playing on a native version, you're going to have to bite the bullet and buy a Windows 11 laptop.

Silverfox

As of September 2023, the most frequently used OS by users of the gaming platform Steam was Windows at almost 97 percent. Linux followed in second place, with 1.6 percent, ahead of OSX with 1.43 percent share.

Why would any company spend resources on Linux or Mac support is beyond comprehension.

ACJ97F

WIN version whatever not being supported isn't an issue for the game, some people we know still run WIN 7. Have a backup computer using an
older version and runs fine. "Oh no, I can't get 2024 security updates!" Not really a problem, you can't steal a Ford Pinto with a Lexus key.

Toblakai

As of September 2023, the most frequently used OS by users of the gaming platform Steam was Windows at almost 97 percent. Linux followed in second place, with 1.6 percent, ahead of OSX with 1.43 percent share.

Why would any company spend resources on Linux or Mac support is beyond comprehension.
No one that runs linux or mac OS expects to play games either. If they are gamers they will either use consoles or have a windows machine also.

Chacka

It doesn't really solve the problem, but I was able to upgrade to Windows 11 without meeting the hardware requirements (there are several guides for that on the internet).

The problem is that Windows 11 will also receive a new build this year, I heard, which may cause Windows 11 not to boot if you use such "trickery." Therefore, it's most likely necessary to buy at least a new CPU and motherboard in 2024 or 2025.

My system is around 8 years old (with a newer graphics card) but still works fine with all the software I use, so I'm also not really keen on buying new CPU, RAM, and motherboard. 😫

Reaped and Ravaged

Security concerns for a computer not used for email or web browsing are going to be very low. Most hacking involves going to the wrong website or clicking a link in a spam or spoofed email. This is the problem with having the same few people controlling the capital for software and hardware they consider creating more e-waste to be an advantage instead of being unethical.

FYI You'll be able to keep Windows 11 updated anyways, within a week or so or even within 72 hours of the new build update. Large Corporations are not particularly intelligent

Last edited:

Wist™

I've got an old Gateway laptop I got from Wal-Mart longer than I can remember. It has windows 8 and still runs DDO just fine. I only use it once in a while for running alts or looking at the DDOwiki.

T.O.

Does your mother board not have a TPM header? They are like ten bucks. Not knowing your spec. You may have to convert your MBR to GPT assuming it's legacy boot.

Coffey

DDO supports Windows 8 and higher still. There is no reason i can think to exclude windows as old as XP to install and run the game unsupported. I could understand large gaming companies adhering to the dark MS overlord directives but DDO lol?

I never update my windows boxes.

If all else fails there is Linux Wine and lots of time lol.

Eoin

No reason to do a native Linux client, runs great on WINE or Proton. Can even use vkBasalt or gamescope for some Reshade-lite.

owl

I would say give yourself the gift of a new rig.

The min requirements for Win 11 is only 64 bit processor, 4 GB Ram and 64 GB disk space. If you really want to be nice to yourself throw in a good video card.

Br4d

Security updates only matter for running banking/brokerage/financial apps

Any application can be designed to mine coin in the background. Having an up to date security product is important unless you want your PC running extra cycles making somebody coin while it wears down twice as fast.

unbongwah

Will DDO finally release a native version that will run on x86 Linux?
Considering how many games that are much more popular than DDO are Windows-only, I'm gonna guess "no," possibly with a preceding "oh hell" for good measure. If for some reason you can't run DDO under Linux using Wine but also can't or don't want to upgrade to a Win11 PC, you're probably better off setting up a Linux/Win10 dual-boot config someday.
The min requirements for Win 11 is only 64 bit processor, 4 GB Ram and 64 GB disk space.
Win11 also requires TPM 2.0 support which older PCs don't have. From a security perspective, it makes sense to put a floor on the minimum HW requirements, but it was rather annoying to discover my "high-end" PCs (circa 2015/16) can't upgrade to Win11 because my MB/CPU combo is a generation or two behind the curve.