DDO MEME

Lagin

ESQXmBZ.jpg

Br4d

fGenL4p.jpg

I don't have one myself but I've never attempted farming it.

If you are VIP and you run the quest every epic life it will eventually drop for you. I've been very lucky with drops on 4 toons now all within the first few runs. Those are the only toons that I have run into epics.

For awhile I thought it was because I soloed the quest on EE every life and soloists somehow got a bump in their chance to get it. Then I started a fresh character on another server and in her first run in a full group it dropped for her.

I go back and forth between VIP and premium and I was VIP when it dropped for each of the 4. I think the most runs I have had to wait was 4 or 5. I think I did try to force it successfully on one character by rerolling the chest with shards and that was successful. The others it was just there in the chest on opening.

Aelonwy

I've run it on every character (that's been to epics), once per epic life so... maybe 13x3 (a couple characters haven't been in epics) average number of epic past lives per character is currently 3, some have 2, a few have 4 but lets say 3. So roughly 39 times on EE for xp and sagas, usually with hubby and son, sometimes with a couple other friends. In all that time I've seen it drop once to a friend that rarely plays. So while I've never farmed this quest I think I can safely say that YMMV. I think you, like Cordovan's stream character, are just very loot lucky, which is why the meme occurred to me and what made it funny.

I am only rarely VIP but I would hope that the state of being or not being VIP doesn't have some hidden loot bonus modifier. Not that I would be against VIP having that bonus as long as it weren't hidden. For it to be an unknown bonus would be an unkindness where people make deliberate decisions about the value of being VIP versus premium based on the information they have on what each gets for the money spent.

Aelonwy

I have killed Jack Jibbers 386 times. Never pulled the blade. Will never step in that quest again.:mad:
I am sorry to read that... the meme is not mocking you, rather its intended to mock the absurdity that is RNG loot luck.
Cursed Blade of Jack Jibbers... It recently dropped for me in Khyber, In my first run with my Warchanter Bard (Driskell)... I couldn't believe it... :oops:
Case in point^ and congrats.

For every anecdotal experience like the first... there is one like the second. One player will have a happy experience and the other will be miserable.

Br4d

I could be wrong however my experience over the years is that almost everybody I interacted with who had terrible loot luck on a drop was non-VIP and allergic to spending shards on chest re-rolls.

I don't know this to be the case and obviously it could be an observational bias based on who I was interacting with but it stands to reason that better chances of pulling the best items in the game might be tied to revenues in some way.

I started over on a new server awhile back and joined a guild with several vets who were premium players that spent their money on Otto's Boxes and XP pots preferentially. The first epic run that I did with them in A Legend Revisited my first life VIP character got a Jibbers which I happily looted. A moment later one of them remarked that it was just so unfair that I got the blade immediately while he had been waiting years for one.

The other memorable period for me was when Ravenloft came out. I was VIP at that point, re-upping when I bought the x-pac, and I had purchased a bunch of shards via the DDO pts on sale followed by shards on sale method so I had about 2,000 AS in the bank.

My idea as I was running the x-pac for the first time was that I was going to reroll every end chest until I got a named item, any named item, or I was out of rerolls on the chest. At the end of the run I had done 12 quests and I had 10 named items. I had spent maybe 100 shards total rerolling the chests and only whiffed completely 3 times on my rolls including the two chests in An Invitation to Dinner. The heroic chests cost something like 5 or 6 shards apiece to reroll and you only get to reroll 3 or 4 times so the total cost of rerolling a chest might be 24 shards at worst or about a buck when the effect of sale/sale was thrown in.

Last edited:

GolargoSturdyfeet

I could be wrong however my experience over the years is that almost everybody I interacted with who had terrible loot luck on a drop was non-VIP and allergic to spending shards on chest re-rolls.
I dont think its true, but if it was thats a low blow to make money. Its a low drop rate on Jack Jibbers & Ring of Spell Storing. They say its to powerful for everybody to have. If thats true, the items should be removed from the game. But its not, its because of store sales on cakes and pots. :(

Br4d

I dont think its true, but if it was thats a low blow to make money. Its a low drop rate on Jack Jibbers & Ring of Spell Storing. They say its to powerful for everybody to have. If thats true, the items should be removed from the game. But its not, its because of store sales on cakes and pots. :(

Ring of Spell Storing can be farmed pretty easily in Demon Sands at this point. Just sweep the wilderness several times to accumulate the antique bronze tokens. Take 625 of those to Masai Imports and you have your ring.

I don't think any item in the game is restricted to a low drop rate due to power level. I think they're all restricted due to desirability and it makes sense to have the restrictions be less onerous on the people who are actually supporting the game with cash. Those people, the people paying to play, are the reason the lights are still on.

Aelonwy

I think they're all restricted due to desirability and it makes sense to have the restrictions be less onerous on the people who are actually supporting the game with cash. Those people, the people paying to play, are the reason the lights are still on.
I don't want to keep discussing this here as this isn't really the purpose of this thread (and Valerianus feel free to have my side of this convo deleted if you feel it has derailed your thread too much) however, IMHO while it would be fine with me for VIPs to have a loot luck bonus I still maintain it would only be permissible if it is a known, well-documented benefit of VIP so that players may make an informed decision about being VIP or not. Making it a super-secret hidden bonus would actually be poor marketing and a poor business decision as it would perhaps have attracted more players to go VIP if known but to reveal it as a past hidden bonus could have potential backlash. Furthermore, not being VIP does NOT mean someone does not financially support this game. Many premium players spend more than double the VIP cost on Expansions and Points each year. My family typically buys the top tier version of expansions times 2 (hubby and myself) and sometimes a mid or top tier bundle for the kids as well. We do not buy points every year but at least every other year for multiple accounts across the family, staggered.