DDO Monster Tactics

Gnyxl

After careful observation, I have discovered some tactics that various monsters tend to use.

The Leaping Kobold - Kobolds and other small monsters tend to leap up on top of other items to create a height difference, so you can't reach them but they can still attack you. (Ranged attacks are good for this tactic.)

The Hovering Stage Dive - This happens when there are too many monsters surrounding you, and it is typically used by larger monsters like MInotaurs. Since there isn't enough space and too many monsters, the monster just hovers above you and waits to land. Probably the best tactic here is to wait for the monster to land while taking out his / her friends so s/he has a place to land, or maybe an AoE spell.

The Swirlie - Named after the infamous torture technique used by Stoners, Jocks and other 'Tough Guys' on nerds and geeks in the 1980s, this involves the monster running circles around you like a piece of toilet paper in a flushed toilet bowl. These guys are hard to hit, so the best tactic here is an AoE spell.

Last edited:

mbartol

Murder Hobo
I’ve always referred to the hovering one as “crowd surfing” whenever I’m sitting on top of a dense group.

Similar to the swirlie, is when an enemy charges up to you and gets directly behind or even overlapping your character. Whenever you move to get them in front, they circle back around. The difference being that they don’t orbit you.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
I love their ability to appear to run through you or be oddly part of you. Particularly when we cannot dance on their heads and pummel them the same way. So, the same idea. ;) Are they rogue? I Dunno, I don't have the time to examine them because they killing me, and there seems to be a million creatures in this Frankenstein game. :alien:

saekee

long live ROGUE
the Maximum Overcharge—when running to melee a mob that is running towards you, they will not stop to battle you when you reach each other but instead go about four feet too far. Solution: stop unintuitively early to compensate, or just range/caster which anyway is a universal mob pathing solution

mbartol

Murder Hobo
the Maximum Overcharge—when running to melee a mob that is running towards you, they will not stop to battle you when you reach each other but instead go about four feet too far. Solution: stop unintuitively early to compensate, or just range/caster which anyway is a universal mob pathing solution
Any time I try to anticipate this, I stop short and swing at empty air. It only happens when I keep running to square off with the enemy.

Jhml

My halfling tends to be the hovering one when surrounded by monsters. Semi-paralysed during it but at least the view is nice. Mad button smashing of all available attacks and movement abilities usually helps to sort it out. I watched (the wretched) Ant-Man Quantomania recently and during the Ant-Men pillar thingie I thought "Hey! I know that feeling!".