DDO vs. Baldurs Gate 3 Post your opinion

cocopufff

BG3 gives us a taste of what DDO could look like (graphically, I mean) if it'd been developed like 17 years later.

Spook

I will wait for it to be given away free as a Twitch drop (thats how I got BG1 & BG2 :p)

SiliconScout

BG 3 looks good but the Gnolls in it are BS. CR 4 with 3 attacks per round means the burst DPS from 2 or 3 Gnoll archers can easily drop most characters in a single round often before their initiative comes up.

Don't get me wrong there's a lot to like but some of what they have done with the monsters is frustrating because so much of the game is just good 5ed game play. It's like you are playing at a table with a GM that just loves Gnolls though and is trying to wipe you with them. Action economy is key in the game so when you get out numbered 2 to 1 and each of them can x3 attack it's just frustratingly bad game design there.

DDO is an MMO. BG3 is not. There is no "vs.".
Depends on the point of view. For people like myself, it very much is a X vs. Y situation. I just downloaded BG3, got a few hours under my belt, and even right at the character creation I knew that all my DDO/Lotro goals flew straight into a trash bin.
Granted, I had been waiting for a successor for the BG series for almost 2 decades, and I was also very tired of SSG's way of doing things.

The MMO / notMMO aspect doesn't really matter, if there are other criteria that are important to people. Time availability, visual/audio/coding quality, grinding, etc. things aside, BG3 puts the "D&D" back in to computer games, and this hack & slash game called DDO which has just about enough D&D DNA in it so that it won't get sued, can wait for a looong time before I get back to it and think "hmmm. what should I do next here".

Justfungus

This is like comparing apples to external apple hard drives. The relationship between the 2 is in name only, barely.

cocopufff

I will say this... BG3 is a refreshing take on monetization. No pelting users with microtransactions and in-game advertisements to spend more money on the game. No hidden costs, QOL things you have to buy... just that you buy the game and you own the game. Yes, MMOs tend to be way worse about monetization than regular games, but even normal RPGs these days have taken to the sort of obnoxious piecemeal approach. Really thrilled to see Larian pushing back against that.

FuzzyDuck81

I will say this... BG3 is a refreshing take on monetization. No pelting users with microtransactions and in-game advertisements to spend more money on the game. No hidden costs, QOL things you have to buy... just that you buy the game and you own the game. Yes, MMOs tend to be way worse about monetization than regular games, but even normal RPGs these days have taken to the sort of obnoxious piecemeal approach. Really thrilled to see Larian pushing back against that.
It's the old school approach.

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
just that you buy the game and you own the game
Yes, I'm that old!
The time we bought a game and had it finished (well some bugs and glitches... but final version).

Nowadays we buy a game and have to patch it buying DLCs that allows us to access content that is already build-in but locked to milk more after the first purchase.

At least DDO is upfront about what is Free and what is not.

paddymaxson

Completely different things only very tenuously linked. DDO will never be as good a properly good single player CRPG though. MMOs simply don't have the capacity to give you the same sort of meaningful story experience, especially ones designed around repeating the content as fast as possible.

cocopufff

It's the old school approach.
Yes, I'm that old!
Wow, way to make me feel old at 26 lol. I remember when games were like this too. I have this tenuous hope that enough people will get fed up with microtransactions / launch day DLCs / all the other crap that they stop funding that kind of behavior.
But with so much of the industry being about whale catching these days, it's honestly the 1% that's ruining it for the other 99%.

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
Wow, way to make me feel old at 26 lol
hahahahaha not my intention to make you or anyone feel that way... Was just saying my first console was a NES at 7yo.
And was a blast that make want more until the PS4 era... but now, I really don't care to buy games at launch.
people will get fed up with microtransactions / launch day DLCs / all the other crap that they stop funding that kind of behavior.
I'm one of those, I'm feed up with the AAA game industry.
it's honestly the 1% that's ruining it for the other 99%.
This, sad but true!

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
Saw this coming with the Mass Effect 3 debacle (and a little earlier). Day 1 DLC that was ALREADY on the disk for the game. Not only that, began seeing more and more releasing sub-par releases and hoping to patch up afterwards. Then, not only that, remove content that was ALREADY completed and turned it into DLC for more money needing to be spent? Told people to not support such practices, as it could only lead to the current game industry, but... here we are. :cautious:

J1NG

Notadrizztvariant

Depends on the point of view. For people like myself, it very much is a X vs. Y situation. I just downloaded BG3, got a few hours under my belt, and even right at the character creation I knew that all my DDO/Lotro goals flew straight into a trash bin.
Granted, I had been waiting for a successor for the BG series for almost 2 decades, and I was also very tired of SSG's way of doing things.

The MMO / notMMO aspect doesn't really matter, if there are other criteria that are important to people. Time availability, visual/audio/coding quality, grinding, etc. things aside, BG3 puts the "D&D" back in to computer games, and this hack & slash game called DDO which has just about enough D&D DNA in it so that it won't get sued, can wait for a looong time before I get back to it and think "hmmm. what should I do next here".
It is not, even for you. What an MMORPG offers is persistence. So depending on your personal speed, you will be back here in one month or three, whenever you played through the game. Or you keep sticking to single player games. Which is understandable, beside persistence and progression MMORPGs often do not have much to offer over single player games. But in that case, it is still not D&D vs D&D, just massive multiplayer vs. single player. And that is something you had even if noone ever developed any BG.

Ganak

I'll play BG3 as long as it holds my interest, but DDO is my jam and breaks are good for players like me who have haunted the game since 2006.

cocopufff

Definitely been enjoying some indie ones though. I'm seriously impressed at what a few developers with a micropercentage of the budget can do over AAA titles.
Still honestly adore Larian studios for making a game like this with the nice, simple monetization of "pay for the game, get the game." But listening to Larian's CEO talk, it's obvious the man is passionate about his games. Which... is a welcome change from most CEOs of game companies, who are very passionate about money and nothing else.

Thor

Looking for a New Love
They are two different companies with Larian way, way, way up there.... and SSG way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way down there. I expect great things from BG 3. I expect much less from DDO. I enjoy DDO, I just don't see much in it's future.