Deadly Instincts is now not applying to Quivering Palm

Xeang

I'm quite sure it did prior to the devs adjusting Quivering Palm to accept assassination bonuses. This is a large nerf to QP though if so for those in falconry and wisdom builds. Deadly Instincts is supposed to apply 1/2 of wisdom modifier to the DC of tactical feats. That is what QP is and as I mentioned it worked with it before.

Please fix to reapply this!! Thanks in advance.

ACJ97F

The assassinate "fix" is just another knife in the Monks back, so once they stick a few more in, you can climb up their back like a ladder.

Then at least, they'll be useful for getting things off the top shelf. (y)

Xeang

This is as intended. Tactics bonuses do not work on assassinate abilities. Since quivering palm is now an assassinate ability, deadly instincts no longer works on quivering palm.
Then this is indeed a huge nerf then to QP. I wish they never changed it to assassinate then. My level 16 monk has 56 wisdom with +23 modifier. With deadly instincts 1/2 of that modifier (+11) would be added to my chance for QP to succeed. I can get a max of +5 assassinate ability with crafting assassinate and insightful assassinate onto equipment. Even if I now spend on the Falconry enhancement "Watch the Center" I only get +3 more on assassinate for a total of +8. That is a nerf. Not to mention that other enhancements and destinies that add to general tactical dcs will likely no longer function either for QP then which they did before. So even more loss. End game QP I fear will be miserable.

It was bad enough, as every monk lover knows, that QP already suffered by not having any other help from such things as adding stunning bonuses, etc. I thought the adding of assassinate to QP was supposed to bring it out of the dungeon of DCs. This just buries it further. Please no more "buff" favors to monk my Dev friends.

FVSHasBeenEvenMoreGutted

Then this is indeed a huge nerf then to QP. I wish they never changed it to assassinate then. My level 16 monk has 56 wisdom with +23 modifier. With deadly instincts 1/2 of that modifier (+11) would be added to my chance for QP to succeed. I can get a max of +5 assassinate ability with crafting assassinate and insightful assassinate onto equipment. Even if I now spend on the Falconry enhancement "Watch the Center" I only get +3 more on assassinate for a total of +8. That is a nerf. Not to mention that other enhancements and destinies that add to general tactical dcs will likely no longer function either for QP then which they did before. So even more loss. End game QP I fear will be miserable.

It was bad enough, as every monk lover knows, that QP already suffered by not having any other help from such things as adding stunning bonuses, etc. I thought the adding of assassinate to QP was supposed to bring it out of the dungeon of DCs. This just buries it further. Please no more "buff" favors to monk my Dev friends.
assassinate at level 15 is +8, insightful is +3, falconry is +3, for +14 total, more than your +11 from trance. wiki uses old assassinate scaling, not new one, if thats what you're looking at. at cap, can get +16 enhancement +7 insightful +3 quality +3 falconry +6 shadowdancer very easily (can get more with past lives/dino bone artifact), which is +35. that is equal to 80 wisdom of trance. considering the fact that the DC went from /2 monk level to full monk level, aka another +10, would need over 100 wisdom with old DC to equal new DC (and this isnt including ancient tactics or dino bone or artifact). in addition, QP can now use dex OR wis, so QP basically got a buff at all levels unless you had ~110+ wis on a monk at cap (which for most players is impossible). yes, you will need new gear, but at cap assassinate is super easy to gear, slot the vecna assassinate aug and the gloves from raid and there is all the assassinate you need

Xeang

assassinate at level 15 is +8, insightful is +3, falconry is +3, for +14 total, more than your +11 from trance. wiki uses old assassinate scaling, not new one, if thats what you're looking at. at cap, can get +16 enhancement +7 insightful +3 quality +3 falconry +6 shadowdancer very easily (can get more with past lives/dino bone artifact), which is +35. that is equal to 80 wisdom of trance. considering the fact that the DC went from /2 monk level to full monk level, aka another +10, would need over 100 wisdom with old DC to equal new DC (and this isnt including ancient tactics or dino bone or artifact). in addition, QP can now use dex OR wis, so QP basically got a buff at all levels unless you had ~110+ wis on a monk at cap (which for most players is impossible). yes, you will need new gear, but at cap assassinate is super easy to gear, slot the vecna assassinate aug and the gloves from raid and there is all the assassinate you need
Yes I was looking at the wiki for the assassinate numbers, so thank you for correcting me. This looks like a wash then (as I did run at about 108 wisdom at cap). But as you said it is not quite equivalent -- because I have to use up gear at all levels from 15+ to stay equal. So giving up say some doublestrike or dodge or something to include 3 buffs -- quality, normal and insightful -- is still a nerf then. Furthermore I lose other tactical boosts I used to have from enhancements as I noted above. I am much more meh about the change since I stand corrected on the numbers -- but I thought the goal was to buff QP not just find a change of effect which makes me have to re-gear and craft ....again.

Tilomere

(10 + monk level + highest of dexterity/wisdom modifier + assassinate bonuses)

At level 15, with a +23 modifier, you don't need any gear or enhancements, mobs aren't going to succeed against DC 48 QPs.

It's not until you hit legendary reaper that you actually need assassinate gear or enhancements. Gear for dungeons of levels 15-29 is unchanged.

Xeang

(10 + monk level + highest of dexterity/wisdom modifier + assassinate bonuses)

At level 15, with a +23 modifier, you don't need any gear or enhancements, mobs aren't going to succeed against DC 48 QPs.

It's not until you hit legendary reaper that you actually need assassinate gear or enhancements. Gear for dungeons of levels 15-29 is unchanged.
Would that be true for r10 which I sometimes run? Those numbers are enough?

Arkat

Founder & Super Hero
Would that be true for r10 which I sometimes run? Those numbers are enough?
Really depends on the Mobs. If their best save is a Fort save, in R10 you'll probably need around a 130 DC to be reliable.

If the mobs' best save is Reflex or Will, you'd need at least a 115-120 DC for your QP to land reliably.