deck of many curses - rate

nenetteblackmoor

how rare is "rare" or "uncommon"? i know it's just a time sync to get you to re-farm your items, but i'm trying to work out how bad the time sync is going to be.
https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/curse-cards-get-a-boost.10342/post-114933

Please refer to the URL written above.
Since there are 16 types of Rares, the probability of getting a Rare is quite high.
However, when referring to the probability of getting the desired Rare effect, I believe it's around 1%

After posting this, I've continued to cast curses, and have done so approximately 230 times now.
Curses labeled as Rare on the wiki appear to have some bias in the randomness, but even at most, I believe it's around 1-2%.

Elminster

Overall, if you MUST chase this madness. I recommend getting a set of curses that seem cool and building the character around it and not the other way around.

PersonMan

Can I ask a question while I'm at it?
I've already obtained over 50 Five-Rings, but I've never once received a Reaper Boost.
Is it possible that Five-Rings never come with a Reaper Boost?
TxblvGR.jpeg
oPY69qs.jpeg

Sadly will need to refarm them due to the Curse System, but they do drop (or at least did when I farmed them some time ago). As they are primarily a trinket I expect they will only get a generic bonus.

Incidentally I have never seen one with Mythic, neither have I seen the ingredient that upgrades to Mythic.

Elminster

One complaint: I just got the 'Curse of Cruelty' card on a nice mythic /reaper item.

+2% Fortune Bonus to Damage vs. Helpless targets

I mean, I feel like there should be a 0 next to that 2. A measly 2% is NOT going to be noticeable. Might as well not exist. It's also a 'Rare' card to boot lol.

nenetteblackmoor

Curse can be utilized not only as a special bonus but also as a substitute for Augment.
Thanks to having curses of FF and Death Block on my equipment, I freed up two Augment slots.

When equipping the Vecna set, Augment slots often fall short, so substituting with curses can make the puzzle a bit easier.

festasha

One complaint: I just got the 'Curse of Cruelty' card on a nice mythic /reaper item.

I mean, I feel like there should be a 0 next to that 2. A measly 2% is NOT going to be noticeable. Might as well not exist. It's also a 'Rare' card to boot lol.
It's a fortune bonus, it stacks and cards are not meant to be that OP.

droid327

On builds meant to leverage Helpless damage (like Dlord), you're going to get that bonus active a lot. +2% damage (which multiplies with everything else except other +% helpless damage) is a bigger bonus than almost any other single affix on gear.

Pano

Comrade, I too am farming Five-rings every week in hopes of obtaining BoostSTR+6.

Once upon a time, I used to immerse myself in dungeons like a monkey in order to obtain WEAPON in the Wizardry I.
Deck of Many Curses has a similar scent to that.

Can I ask a question while I'm at it?
I've already obtained over 50 Five-Rings, but I've never once received a Reaper Boost.
Is it possible that Five-Rings never come with a Reaper Boost?
I am currently at ~50 rings also and I had gotten reaper boost twice. Both with horrible curses of course

Elminster

It's a fortune bonus, it stacks and cards are not meant to be that OP.
Yeah I know. Just might have thought there was a mistake. Like everything is +2%. There's a large difference ebtween 2% helpless damage and 2% MDB/max dodge cap increase. Maybe it was supposed to be 20% or whatever?

Spook

I can only speak for myself but I have effectively quit the game due to these curses. It was after I rolled a +1 Bard Song curse on a perfect +7MP (+4/+3) item.

_fully_carroted_

I love the system, because I am not interested in min-maxing it.

I think that’s the real issue - it can give you game-altering power (favored Tail? In today’s DDO that would define my Paladin cap build just like ESOS does for 20-29)

I like the small benefits, i enjoy the decent ones i have on a couple of items, and I love the silly ones (feather fall on stone boots!).

TLDR it’s fun, so just play with it

Jolyma

I guess I got lucky. I've yet to see a cleansing card, but out of 10 curses I've put on my end game gear for my rogue, 8 of them were useful to me. One was a repeat of sorts and one was 2 extra bard songs. I do it for fun though, to see what random thing I get, so if it wasn't useful I get a laugh out of those 2 extra bard songs. My son is being followed by butterflies...I'm a little jealous of that one. I don't think that this was meant to get "perfect" curses. It was just a fun little extra.

Jack Jarvis Esquire

The problem isn't with the curses IMO. It's fine. The problem is with folks who don't want it to be what it is and how it's meant to be.

I think they made a mistake having cleansers at all though. They're just an expensive trap as don't guarantee any more positive outcome than what the player in question already has.

nenetteblackmoor

The way people enjoy games varies from person to person.
It's important to find your own enjoyment within the given rules.

However, from the perspective of the developers, that's not enough.
Rules need to have a coherence that players can agree with.
At least, that's how the games I've released have been.

DDO provided a hamster wheel called TR for high-end players.
Even though the hamster only gets slightly stronger each time it spins the wheel, it keeps spinning and gradually gets stronger.
The issue with the Deck of Many Curses is that it's an irreversible wheel.

Should we start a separate thread to discuss topics unrelated to drop rates?