Devs having a cruel sense of humor?

Dman1970

Is it just me, or does it seem like the devs, no matter which company owns DDO, have twisted sense of humor when it comes to armor art design? I mean, some of the color combinations and look of gear with good stats are eye burning stomach turning garbage. So many things have pastels and lavender with green, or brown with brown accents, or purple with bright yellow... the list goes on endlessly. Either they're colorblind or are laughing at players and trying to see who can make the ugliest and best stated items in game. Heavy armor looks like a leotard at of the time and NOT armor. So many armors have the impractical bare midriff sexy look on female characters as well. It's just dumb. There are some items that look cool and some that are ok... but in general, the art design for a most of the armor is just crap. Can they please get someone that has some knowledge of real armor and also even some fantasy style stuff with an eye for color and nice looking design and art? Is that too much to ask or am I wrong? DDO isn't the only game that does this, but it seems to be one of the worst.

mbartol

Murder Hobo
Don’t forget the outrageous pauldrons.
Sometimes it’s like the ugly Christmas sweater thing.

Enoach

It was this type of complaint that helped to launch the armor cosmetics and has gotten us to what we have today.

At this time our best option is to cosmetic something we like to cover up the gear we like that we don't like the look of.

It would be nice if we had a way to "color" the armor as part of that as well.

Rakehell

It would be nice to be able to colour armour as we colour hair in game. But I am sure glad we have cosmetic options to cover some armour up!

Dragavon

What is really frustrating is that in LoTRO armours and clothing look so much better than the eyesores we have in DDO.

They could do it here too :sick:

droid327

I dont mind some of the more fantastic color palettes - people have different aesthetics and some want to go for the more fairy looking outfits, so if you want a teal and pink heavy armor, that's fine...just as long as there's black and gold and steel ones for me too

What really bothers me is the stubborn refusal to incorporate symmetry. Every single GD armor has to have wonky pauldrons, an asymmetrical girdle, etc. How hard is it to just copy, paste, and invert the right side elements onto the left? Save yourself some work :D

That being said, I'm sure they're limited by the very old engine: there's only so many channels of color, the armor has to look right on the animation rig, etc.

Oliphant

Some more symmetrical designs would be nice but copying a half and pasting an inverted version creates those symmetry lines which then lead eye to figure out the pixels are all mirror, a not very good result. Needs to be symmetrical(ish) but not a perfect pixel reflection; that just looks fake and particularly bad along that center line of symmetry that forms.

Bracelet

Don’t forget skulls! I refuse to buy anything with skulls on it. I have saved a LOT of money with that policy.