Devs, please change all metamagic no cost sla/abilities to benonly single target spells!!

The Narc

Please make this change so we dont have OP casters the room clear with little to no cost of spell points.

Most of those casters are even soloing while multiboxing with a bardbot so spell points never become even a remote issue and damage is room annihilating.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
I love generalized statements like this that aren't true. A valid statement might be "some of the casters I group with are OP thanks to gear, build, and/or the players behind the keyboard and it makes me sad that I can't keep up with them so please nerf everyone."

Misadventure

Killing everybody on Hardcore with pleasure.
Oh you can keep casting your AOE spells, just it will cost you the appropriate metamagic spell points to do it. SLA broke the game in the first place, its why we have mass groups of mobs with huge hit point sinks.

But i am willing to compromise, just get rid of the AOE damaging ones!!
In the 1st place mobs should be scaled to quest level, not bloated way above what they should be.

Also mobs shouldnt be a whole gang standing there waiting to gang bang you. Looking at you Toee and newer content.

droid327

Also mobs shouldnt be a whole gang standing there waiting to gang bang you. Looking at you Toee and newer content.

This, really, is the key issue. Its not that casters have too much AOE...its that the game rewards you too much for having AOE vs having single-target damage, except in raids

ToEE/Slavers is kinda the peak era for "swarm of mobs" style quest design. They've scaled it back since then, and in IoD there's even some evidence of good alternate designs starting to pop up, like the stretch of Wild Thing where you face several orange dinos. If quests have more of that - harder single target encounters mixed in more evenly with trash swarms - then that makes caster's AOE advantage not quite so OSFA.

The Narc

I love generalized statements like this that aren't true. A valid statement might be "some of the casters I group with are OP thanks to gear, build, and/or the players behind the keyboard and it makes me sad that I can't keep up with them so please nerf everyone."
Sorry they are too boring to play, i want them to get rid of them so that they can get back to better quest design and not just big groups of utterly threatless trash.

The Narc

In the 1st place mobs should be scaled to quest level, not bloated way above what they should be.

Agree totally, but they are forced to design this way because we have casters with a bombs costing nothing and being dropped over and over, the damage output is not comparable at range from any other types of builds so it attempts to force everyone into one meta so all quests can be built to match up to that meta.

I an okay that a caster can drop an A-bomb but it has to be at a cost(a few enhancement points arent really a significant cost as a real spell not an sla) like a bundle of spell points! Sure allow sla’s that are single target, if you did this devs you would see exactly why this is super over powered dps to have for AOE at zero cost, people would spec out of the caster AOE builds.

You devs in turn would be able to design better content designed with players focusing more on orange/red/purple named bosses everywhere.

I get that you are trying to expand your client base from the old schoolers into a younger crowd but does that really require the “look at me, i am a god, i destroy whole rooms with one button”, we all can do it but its so boring.

I knew players that were devastated with the favoured soul changes and the bard sonic blast changes, i ran with both several hardcores back, it was embarassing to watch them destroy your content in milliseconds, i mean demon queen heroic elite destroyed in two spells, this could still happen with a single target sla, but it gives the relevance of what can be dealt out in damage AOE wise.

Hope someday you start to revert these sla’s bit by bit, and definitely going forward stop building classes/enhancements with this type of unlimited AOE. All it will do for you as game developers is allow for you to be able to design more diverse and interesting quests, instead of room by room filled with lots of trash mobs.

P.S. maybe the answer is dont get rid of the AOE sla’s and just start building all the encounters as single target fights!?!

Eltronin

Kobolds don't matter
There is no need for this. Single target melee can get into the fray and cause large amounts of damage even as casters are dropping SLA's. Besides that, not all mobs are all gathered together in one spot unless you have a really good tank and in that case, you want AOE spells to take down the mobs. Not really seeing the problem here, don't like casters, don't play/run with any. This game can be played so many different ways.

The Narc

Just trying to help the devs solve their problem with Dungeon Alert caused by players running past huge groups of threat-less mobs with giant hit point pools, see devs players that are single target wouldnt have to run past your groups of over-inflated mobs to avoid the boredom of chopping done endless amounts of these. Just so you can put up something that casters could blow up with in an A bomb in a millisecond because this is all yiu have oeft to add to yiur quest designs to create some semblance of a grind.

vryxnr

Just trying to help the devs solve their problem with Dungeon Alert caused by players running past huge groups of threat-less mobs with giant hit point pools, see devs players that are single target wouldnt have to run past your groups of over-inflated mobs to avoid the boredom of chopping done endless amounts of these. Just so you can put up something that casters could blow up with in an A bomb in a millisecond because this is all yiu have oeft to add to yiur quest designs to create some semblance of a grind.
This... would just make the issue worse imo. One of the main driving factors (at least originally) of casters grouping up as many enemies together is that their attacks cost SP, which is a limited resource. Making AoE SLAs cost more with metamagics means casters will be incentivized to gather even larger group together before casting so they can hit more at once with a singe casting.

That's smart SP management. And apparently a cause of lag.