Devs, please change all metamagic no cost sla/abilities to benonly single target spells!!

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
None of what kimbere said had anything to do with groups of mobs coming from different location.

Dungeon difficulty level wasnt even mentioned in his post either but i assume you have played the game long enough to know that the new quests designs with large groups of mobs room after room only happen once you are running elite or higher with scaling.

Maybe you are just running normal which is why you are missing the point of the original post and the entire thread about the issues with quest design and large groups of hit point sacks which maybe fun for AOE casters(the meta these dungeons are designed for) and single target missile builds.
Typically I run things on r1 to r3 in a few months I'll be increasing it.
The only time I've ever seen aoe from caster wipe rooms is on normal settings for dungeons, other wise it takes several spells. I have no idea what sort of super nuker you have seen that can insta wipe everything with an aoe spell on anything but normal setting, but I am pretty sure they don't actually exist.
So far as the mobs, it depends on which dungeon. Some have minimal - usually older content - new content can have mobs scaling from 5 to 15 depending on difficulty settings, and it's usually not room after room except for some quests.

Yeah honestly that would work for me, i couldnt care less what big AOE casters are doing in their groups, but i dont want all the dungeons to be designed to pose a challenge to those metas, so now i am forced as a single target build to chip thru all these completely threatless and useless groups of mobs.

You see i am not about attacking the AOE casters, i am about attacking the existence of them creating dungeon design that is arduously tedious for single target missile builds(not melee although some melee may feel the same way), that is why as some people suggested that i flipped my concept mid thread, because yes i would be jusy as content if you give missile some form of AOE attack that could also clear these utterly useless trash mobs.

Just looking for a solution to this form of boringness and tediousness.
I won't disagree with you there, I concur that some of the mob scaling is a bit. . .large and overly redundant. But it's not just the numbers either. Some of them are using some pretty nasty dots in hard/elite/reaper. Perhaps there is a mentality that more is better in the design department currently, but I don't particularly like having to deal with huge mobs all the time, even as a caster.
And it is more difficult as a fighter if you don't have some sort of self healing - which usually means specing into certain trees (exalted angel), legendary green steel gear, or taking five levels of wiz to get the death aura and undead heal self deals.
The current new design seems to be focused around huge mobs, with multiple resistances/immunities/absorptions and them having fort bypass, and what seems like dodge/concealment bypass (at least on reaper). I'm not sure I'd call it more challenging as much as I would call it 'try not to die'.
They could add something to the dark hunter bit, like an explosive arrow - mimicking rambo in this instance, which would make sense since they can deal with traps already. Scale it like fireball or something. This could also be added as a clicky for arty's, since they deal with technical things, maybe in the engineer tree?
one proposal could be a new epic tree which has that sort of thing for ranged, or a new universal tree for heroic, specifically geared towards ranged builds. The trees would specialize in dodge, explosive projectiles, smoke grenades, and maybe something else? Throw out some ideas if you like.
------------------------
On a side note, I would much prefer playing a sneaky ranged sort of build, but currently it isn't terribly viable given stealth is more or less useless if you touch something and other than arty or knife thrower the tree's aren't very helpful range wise.

Eltronin

Kobolds don't matter
+1 here to adding a couple high damage AoEs to Archery/Marksman trees. I'm probably not part of the majority but I prefer it when every playstyle is equally viable in all content.
I would have to vote no. Archers/marksman are single target builds to take out single targets quickly. They can snipe at range without risking damage (except from other archers which sometimes can be avoided by distance). Not everyone needs AOE ability.

The Narc

You do realize that th Dev's h@te ranged builds.... Just look through th last 10 years of updates to see why.
Lol totally agree i live it and stubbornly make sure to keep playing it and keep making all the mobs running around trying to get at me causing all kinds of calculations server side, so now devs make more single mobs with better hit points and attacks that can actually damage people they get near and i am more likely to move a lot less and cause a lot less calculations server wide.

The Narc

I would have to vote no. Archers/marksman are single target builds to take out single targets quickly. They can snipe at range without risking damage (except from other archers which sometimes can be avoided by distance). Not everyone needs AOE ability.
You dont have to play with ranged AOE toons in your groups, atleast this seems to be a common approach/remark when someone is trying to make build comparisons to give equal opportunity to do the same things.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Lol totally agree i live it and stubbornly make sure to keep playing it and keep making all the mobs running around trying to get at me causing all kinds of calculations server side, so now devs make more single mobs with better hit points and attacks that can actually damage people they get near and i am more likely to move a lot less and cause a lot less calculations server wide.
It's okay, I'll roll someone to AoE kill even faster in the quests I'm in to offset your extra mobs ;)

But seriously, I don't really find any issues tearing thru packs of mobs on ranged pew pew builds I run when leveling (unless someone is leveling as thrower, I hear that's just painful to level all around)

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Could also make things like wands/scrolls actually scale off spell power. Then if one needs to AoE stuff on a single target build, swap on a fire item and pop a fireball wand. Won't be as a good as true casters still (nor should it) but it would make existing in-game mechanics viable.

DBZ

Without a reset the meta will just go back to the last meta

Melees with massive aoe and insta killers again

Eltronin

Kobolds don't matter
You dont have to play with ranged AOE toons in your groups, atleast this seems to be a common approach/remark when someone is trying to make build comparisons to give equal opportunity to do the same things.
So you are finally understanding that. You finally understand you can play the game different ways. Congratulations.

The Narc

So you are finally understanding that. You finally understand you can play the game different ways. Congratulations.
Congratulations on what? Everyone knows the game can be played different ways? Are you trying to be condescending, lol if you are i am sure you could do better than that?

DBZ

You think you got problems now wait for the xp changes to hit

barbs with sprint boost and goo locks with falcon boost or go home

Eltronin

Kobolds don't matter
Congratulations on what? Everyone knows the game can be played different ways? Are you trying to be condescending, lol if you are i am sure you could do better than that?
Nothing condescending about it. You want changes to match your playstyle. Now you know changes aren't needed and people can just play how they want.

Last edited:

Ganak

Casters are broke.

Metamagics on SLAs are broke.

I've been leveling with a blight caster on regular and on hardcore.

Not many spells have to use outside SLAs.

Spells/spell points become an infinite resource with SLA's and metamagics.

SLA's should be a low cost way to contribute; not to dominate content.

In the early days of the game, casters required strategy as you had to choose when to use your spell points and shrines became strategic points and there were not so many shrines.

This is not good for the game. Feel for the folks who have invested in playing casters as who likes a nerf?

Leveling and TR's is the game and casters are too OP 1-20.

The Narc

You think you got problems now wait for the xp changes to hit

barbs with sprint boost and goo locks with falcon boost or go home
If it works with a delving bonus i can see the new xp calculations being advantageous for my build in particular, but it still wont change that i have to kite around a pack of mobs while single target killing them which still will cause server calculations to be required.

The Narc

Nothing condescending about it. You want changes to match your playstyle. Now you know changes aren't needed and people can just play hwo they want.
Oh i am still suggesting changes are needed, but you are entitled to your own opinion.

The Narc

Having to do conquest on every single quest on a build with single target only
I am looking forward to the new xp perks from actually trudging thru gangs of mobs, i dont run store xp pots so no rush.

It looks like my original post here was times perfectly for this new upcoming release. We are finally getting some changes on quest design and dungeon alert and gangs of mobs. Even the new destiny and enhancement line have a damage reduction for AOE versus single target, things are going in the right direction.

Its good to be heard SSG! 👍🏻👍🏻 😁😎

rabidfox

The People's Champion
I am looking forward to the new xp perks from actually trudging thru gangs of mobs, i dont run store xp pots so no rush.

It looks like my original post here was times perfectly for this new upcoming release. We are finally getting some changes on quest design and dungeon alert and gangs of mobs. Even the new destiny and enhancement line have a damage reduction for AOE versus single target, things are going in the right direction.

Its good to be heard SSG! 👍🏻👍🏻 😁😎
You'll get the same XP but have to kill even more mobs to do so... good luck on that with your single target build.