Did the devs close haunted halls because people farm it for chocolates?

mbartol

Murder Hobo
One thing tho to be fair.... ive seen screenshots of a 5 Hour instance with 10k Kills and 1500 Chests and something tells me 1500 chests in a single instance MIGHT cause lags....
So? It’s not the players’ fault that the implementation is poorly designed.

If opening 1500 chests in a single instance might cause lag, then the loot should just be auto-granted like they are in the graveyard quest.

mbartol

Murder Hobo
I get tired of how often the devs treat the player base as an enemy or obstacle, or at best a resource to be maximally exploited

If they closed it because players were earning keys too fast, I'll be really disappointed in them. They should try to get out of players ways as much as possible, not try to railroad them into specific play at a specific rate.
Absolutely!

If there is a legitimate reason, it would have been stated in the shutdown announcement. Of course they would just claim “lag” as the blanket excuse for screwing over the players as usual.

mbartol

Murder Hobo
1. The costs of the new rewards are ridiculous, and not in the cool Professor Lupin way.
2. they absolutely ruined our candy -seriously the candy is complete useless junk now (they used to be on every toon I had)
3. buggy quests no mobs spawns and levers not working forcing the opener key to be wasted and quest reset.

makes me feel like they're trying to set up a VR 'Halloween of disappointments,' no VR goggles are required.
Their focus was on the “trick,” rather than the “treat.” 😂

Note: I suppose I should have used the multi-quote option, but I just replied to posts as I read through.

Last edited:

rabidfox

The People's Champion
I've heard it is reopened but with no zombie champs now. But it would be nice if there was an official announcement about it all. SSG was quick to put out a "we've closed haunted halls" thread that was locked to prevent comment but nothing about it reopening.

Fallout47

So? It’s not the players’ fault that the implementation is poorly designed.

If opening 1500 chests in a single instance might cause lag, then the loot should just be auto-granted like they are in the graveyard quest.
There is literally no proof it causes lag, what it does cause is butt hurt devs. The proof is in the fact that they closed it. And if it is reopened without champs, there is more proof.

Lazuli

This is what bothers me from the devs. Why do they care how people get chocolates and keys? Let people get things as more fun they have. People need to run the challenges for the other mats.

I hadn't even thought about using this quest, but if there are people who have little time to play and want farm fast, what's wrong about it?

That mania of the devs that we have to play as they want and not otherwise is killing the game. This is not a way to obtain the goodwill of their customers.

Blerkington

George Costanza would describe this as Delicate Genius Syndrome.

It's been apparent for a long time now that the game's developers are convinced that they are highly skilled rockstars whose excellent work simply doesn't deserve to be criticised by the plebs who pay their bills. Criticism is nothing more than a mean-spirited attack by people who just don't understand how good the product is rather than legitimate feedback. Pearls before swine is another way of putting it.

So when players do something the developers didn't anticipate and don't like there's this distinct smell of umbrage to the response. Rather than just shrugging their shoulders and moving on while players have their fun, these things are treated like personal insults and have to be stamped out as soon as possible.

And we're not even talking about fixing exploits here, we're talking about changing the way the game works because someone's knickers are in a bunch and they cannot handle the thought of being 'outsmarted' by their players.

The dev team really needs someone to remind them that they are making a product the primary purpose of which is to be enjoyed by their customers. That very basic idea seems to have been forgotten by the team and the effect on the game is getting worse all the time. And if the game's player count is anything to go by, this 'if you don't like it do something else' attitude is really starting to bite.

Last edited:

dur

aka Cybersquirt
This is what bothers me from the devs. Why do they care how people get chocolates and keys? Let people get things as more fun they have. People need to run the challenges for the other mats.
If the keys, especially, don't drop, people might buy them . . .

Lazuli

If the keys, especially, don't drop, people might buy them . . .
The problem with keys is that the graveyard does not give a secured key. It is very variable. I'm not usually on the high spectrum of luck, I usually get one key per run, I rarely get more, and sometimes I get none. Putting a key in the final chest would solve many problems.

The other problem is that the keys in normal quests come out killing champions. I usually play medium-high reaper, so I draw a lot of keys. But people who play normal or hard, and even elite, are seriously disadvantaged. That's something I've repeatedly criticized the devs for. They tend to steer the game towards the veterans, leaving out newbies and casuals who can't keep up on high difficulties. Even at an event! Please, an event should be inclusive of ALL players.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
The problem with keys is that the graveyard does not give a secured key. It is very variable. I'm not usually on the high spectrum of luck, I usually get one key per run, I rarely get more, and sometimes I get none. Putting a key in the final chest would solve many problems.

The other problem is that the keys in normal quests come out killing champions. I usually play medium-high reaper, so I draw a lot of keys. But people who play normal or hard, and even elite, are seriously disadvantaged. That's something I've repeatedly criticized the devs for. They tend to steer the game towards the veterans, leaving out newbies and casuals who can't keep up on high difficulties. Even at an event! Please, an event should be inclusive of ALL players.
'preciate the feedback but, as I've said in other threads, I'm done with it. I mentioned my Champion XP/fiasco in other threads too. RNG hates me and I'm back to the toons I put $$$ in and running favor/checking out the new content I bought.. oh, with points, 'cause that's not the same as $$$

Stoner66

It's good to be the King!
The dev team really needs someone to remind them that they are making a product the primary purpose of which is to be enjoyed by their customers. That very basic idea seems to have been forgotten by the team and the effect on the game is getting worse all the time. And if the game's player count is anything to go by, this 'if you don't like it do something else' attitude is really starting to bite.
I think the dev teams primary purpose is to make a product that brings money into the company. yes, making a product people want to play will accomplish that but there will always be bugs and upset players. They are not there to make you or I or anyone "happy", they are there to make the company cash.

Blerkington

I think the dev teams primary purpose is to make a product that brings money into the company. yes, making a product people want to play will accomplish that but there will always be bugs and upset players. They are not there to make you or I or anyone "happy", they are there to make the company cash.
That's technically correct, but player contentment and spending are closely connected.

Despite SSG's efforts to manipulate our spending by adding gambling mechanics and playing to our fears of falling behind other players, I don't think we're at the point where the majority of people left are playing but not liking it.

My spending on the game has all but dried up as my dissatisfaction with some aspects of the game and in particular the conduct of several of the people who run it has steadily increased.

Every time I think about spending money on the game now I actively have to overcome my dislike of giving SSG money which is no good thing for them. And more often than not I just can't do it.

So my point was more could be done to improve player enjoyment, and that may result in an improvement of the company's bottom line.

seph1roth5

There is literally no proof it causes lag, what it does cause is butt hurt devs. The proof is in the fact that they closed it. And if it is reopened without champs, there is more proof.
It absolutely causes lag, when you start opening them. I never got anywhere near 1500 lol but definitely a good 50-75ish (not in HH) after a while.