Does Assassin have any use outside soloing?

ilya187

Soloing an Assassin is straightforward and fun, although slow. But in a group, every mob is either dead by the time I get to it, or is actively fighting and even if stealthed, I get "Wrong stance [or something]" message.

Should I just forget about assassination when in a party? And BTW, what exactly are necessary conditions to attempt an assassination? Seems to me that the target has to stand still, but I am not sure.

popejubal

No melee is necessary at all when you’re playing at a difficulty low enough that a single AoE ranged attack will clear an entire room. But if you crank the difficulty up to the point where you have to actually do some work to clear a quest, Assassins are fantastic.

ilya187

No melee is necessary at all when you’re playing at a difficulty low enough that a single AoE ranged attack will clear an entire room. But if you crank the difficulty up to the point where you have to actually do some work to clear a quest, Assassins are fantastic.
So how do I assassinate a mob which is in motion? So far I never managed to. I do not mean the attacks failed, I mean I invariably get "Wrong stance..." message.

saekee

long live ROGUE
So how do I assassinate a mob which is in motion? So far I never managed to. I do not mean the attacks failed, I mean I invariably get "Wrong stance..." message.
are you in stealth? You say you are in the OP. Them being in motion would not give that message.

There are casters that will go through R10 quests so fast they use wings to speed ahead. Your job is 1) cleanup the held mobs, 2) assassinate the ones outside the hold/instakill area, 3) eliminate those that cannot be handled in such fashion quickly with adrenaline and burst dps, 4) dps on red-names, 5) trapping.

DDObot

are you in stealth? You say you are in the OP. Them being in motion would not give that message.

There are casters that will go through R10 quests so fast they use wings to speed ahead. Your job is 1) cleanup the held mobs, 2) assassinate the ones outside the hold/instakill area, 3) eliminate those that cannot be handled in such fashion quickly with adrenaline and burst dps, 4) dps on red-names, 5) trapping.
this is de way

Yerro

I imagine that when u hit assassinate, theres a box in front of you, the assassination box, every 2 mobs that are or enters in that area within 2-3secs from activation, must save vs the assassination. To assassinate a mob thats in motion u have to get ahead of him (sneaking or using From the Shadows) and hit assassinate 2 steps ahead in the mob path, when he enters, he is assassinated. The box also works with mobs that spawn in the box. Its a bit tricky, but practice helps, as always.

Ying

5000+ hours played
You have to adjust your playstyle to your group and difficulty. The longer it takes a mob to die, the more useful it is to leverage assassinate -- and vice versa. If I'm in a guild group, we're flying through R10s and there is zero opportunity for me to assassinate. If I'm joining a pug R10 where damage is mediocre, then it makes sense to assassinate as much as I can.

Dattebayo

Soloing an Assassin is straightforward and fun, although slow. But in a group, every mob is either dead by the time I get to it, or is actively fighting and even if stealthed, I get "Wrong stance [or something]" message.

Should I just forget about assassination when in a party? And BTW, what exactly are necessary conditions to attempt an assassination? Seems to me that the target has to stand still, but I am not sure.
I always been able to make assassinate work during combat even on solo on combat, you just stealth away and wait until the mob stops aggroing you or when it doesn't notice you in stealth (requires very good stealth and hiding on plain sight) then you try again and it should work. Even if you don't do this and just stealth during the fight and immediately after use the ability it does work, although at reduced chance of course because you don't get extra bonuses from being stealthed for a longer time.

I think assassinate is not only still viable even on groups to take strong champs, but also your main source of clearing dangerous spellcasters quickly when soloing. Put the 3 ranks on sneak speed, you will need them, have good dex and some stealth boost item and it does feel very good I assure you. It's still slower than other builds, but that's the assassin. A careful, meticulous killer that chooses his victims before going in.

Improved deception is a must, also bluff and feint use to deal with the other monsters since most of your damage still comes from sneak attacks, otherwise the base regular damage is pretty weak because daggers and kukris haver very low base damage.

Kill, don't get hit, disengage if you need to, and go kill again.

Almghandi

Should I just forget about assassination when in a party?

depends on the party...
when i first got up there i was ... disappointed at how little my rogue had to do...
when i got up there with a healer.... i was... disappointed that noone really needed healing...
i made a buffer.... but noone waits for buffs or songs... and if i can get everyone with songs before the quest is done... well i did really well.

trap disarming xp is still good... so if you can do that in the quests before they are over... well you have contributed.... and +30% can be huge

vryxnr

Also, some raids are happy to have someone with assassinate. The Totems in Babas hut can be assassinated (and hurled through hell, and prismatic sprayed, and frogged), making an assassin a valued addition in that raid. Same thing with the Circles of Scorn in Legendary Chronoscope (though trap the soul is preferred, as the circles also lock you in place and make you take more damage, so while assassinating them is viable, it's also more dangerous).

Aerendil

Also, for the OP - you don't have to stealth your way through a dungeon, and then up to a target, to assassinate them. You can absolutely run along unstealthed, jump and stealth in midair, then as you land hit assassinate. As long as something doesn't happen to knock you out of stealth, your assassinate should fire.

This is the "keep up with the group" option.

But yes, if you're getting the "wrong stance" message, something has knocked you out of stealth. Make sure your autoattack is turned off as well, otherwise, you may swing your weapon and lose stealth before your assassinate can fire.

Ptalon

Go into sneak or invis.
(and/or) Stand to the side of the door until the monsters react to the party.
run, jump, hit sneak in mid-air.
Assassinate.

Works best for casters and archers that aren't charging forward.

Ptalon

Go into sneak or invis.
(and/or) Stand to the side of the door until the monsters react to the party.
run, jump, hit sneak in mid-air.
Assassinate.

Works best for casters and archers that aren't charging forward.
You can also try Diplomacy.
A long time ago I could just run into the room first and hit diplomacy, then drop to stealth and assassinate.
But... seems that that doesn't work as quickly as it used to.
(I don't currently play an Assassin.)