Drifting Lotus

Nickodeamous

Hey Torq,

It seems as though Drifting Lotus has been changed to hit like WWA (2 hits for handwraps at least...thank you!!!). The animation is now a WWA style animation.

couple of questions for you:
  1. Was it intentional to change the "drifting" part so that it looks like a WWA now? Is this the only way you could get multi hit for HWs?
  2. has this been standardized for all weapons, meaning they all now get 2 hits only? I think it was 3 previously?
Thanks,
Nic

Monkey_Archer

Yikes...

Seems like drifting lotus went down to 2 hits all weapon styles, as well as a slower animation.... Much larger nerf that expected.

Did shadarkai chains lose an attack as well?

Lazuli

Did they also change the animation? I don't know why they have to change things that worked well. What a mania for making unnecessary changes.

If it works, better not touch it.

Eme

Did they also change the animation? I don't know why they have to change things that worked well. What a mania for making unnecessary changes.

yup, it's now just another whirlwind but with extra siezure triggering flashes

Nickodeamous

I liked the "drifting" portion, now its just spin-jitsu. :( I'm hoping this is just a band-aid to get the multi-hit for HWs and they actually go back to the original animation with the double/triple hit. Tbh, the WWA is a slow animation and kinda meh and not special nor epic looking.

Also, looks like 10% vs. 50%...we all know that this is a nerf vs. +5W. This really needs to be 20-25%. Otherwise, outside of handwraps, which is now double hitting (again, thanks!!!!!), everything else is a straight up nerf (going from 3 hits to 2 for all other weapons) yikes!!

Smelt

Apparently the three hits was a bug and nothing should have been hitting three times. So no nerf here, just two bug fixes.

Nickodeamous

Ok, I found another problem.

If you try and chain WWA attack after Drifting Lotus, you cant simply press drifting lotus and then press WWA back to back. there is a built in delay of about 0.5 seconds vs. if you hit an elemental attack and then WWA, which is pretty much instantaneous.

This comes off as clunky and is MUCH slower than it was before. :(

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
My guess is, it's entirely a deliberate choice and there's a "likely" (not a guarantee, still possible, but I feel "likely") chance that there will be no further modifications.

The reason for that I'm guessing, is they're trying to save on costs for a small change and took the most appropriate attack animation (that's fully hooked up as required) available to do what is needed. Given there's 4-5 weapon "styles" it'll need to cover (HW, Unarmed, SWF, TWF, THF). So the HW/Unarmed one got the WWA animation as that's already there available.

J1NG

Spook

Urgh hopefully they fixed the Whirlwind animation for Razorclaws as that one is totally busted (i know centered Razorclaw is pretty niche but doesnt mean it shouldnt work)

Nickodeamous

My guess is, it's entirely a deliberate choice and there's a "likely" (not a guarantee, still possible, but I feel "likely") chance that there will be no further modifications.

The reason for that I'm guessing, is they're trying to save on costs for a small change and took the most appropriate attack animation (that's fully hooked up as required) available to do what is needed. Given there's 4-5 weapon "styles" it'll need to cover (HW, Unarmed, SWF, TWF, THF). So the HW/Unarmed one got the WWA animation as that's already there available.

J1NG
I wonder what the actual hitbox is for the original drifting lotus vs. the new WWA style drifting lotus. The reason I ask is that I just ran grim to test and I feel like I am not stunning the same volume of mobs. So, was Drifting Lotus originally a larger hitbox? If so, then that would make sense, but it does put a damper on the secondary effect (stunning) if this is the case.

Monkey_Archer

Also, looks like 10% vs. 50%...we all know that this is a nerf vs. +5W. This really needs to be 20-25%. Otherwise, outside of handwraps, which is now double hitting (again, thanks!!!!!), everything else is a straight up nerf (going from 3 hits to 2 for all other weapons) yikes!!
10% made sense when it was triple hitting... Not so much now that its only double hit and a longer animation. Should be at least 30% now... very odd that they would give whirlwind a larger bonus than an epic strike with now the same animation.

FVSHasBeenEvenMoreGutted

to add onto this, WWA does NOT work at all with VKF duel wield animation, the animation for WWA is like 2+ seconds long, never ever worth pressing, its not just razorclaw

J1NG

A qui
I wonder what the actual hitbox is for the original drifting lotus vs. the new WWA style drifting lotus. The reason I ask is that I just ran grim to test and I feel like I am not stunning the same volume of mobs. So, was Drifting Lotus originally a larger hitbox? If so, then that would make sense, but it does put a damper on the secondary effect (stunning) if this is the case.
A quick and dirty test suggests that all the weapon style ranges for Drifting Lotus has a similar range to old version. What might be feeling different is that the triggers for each "hit" are not continuous like before and separated out by around 0.33s to 0.5s and thus if you're moving around, it might feel like you're missing a hit or two, unlike before where it would trigger right from the first "hit" from it.

J1NG

Nickodeamous

10% made sense when it was triple hitting... Not so much now that its only double hit and a longer animation. Should be at least 30% now... very odd that they would give whirlwind a larger bonus than an epic strike with now the same animation.
That is a great point!!! For those weapon types that were hitting 3x, maybe the 10% made sense. However, now they only hit 2x, so we have removed 33% of the damage AND the +5W and gave it 10%. The math doesn't pencil out to anything other than a straight up dps nerf.

I took a look at longswords for example. without melee power, this is what I am seeing. I think the loss of hit is much larger than what SSG may realize. (keep in mind this is very very basic)

levlevDamageAverageAvg. +200HitsBufftotalnotes
29305(1d8+3)37.50237.50-237.50Base
293010(1d8+3)79.63279.633838.88drifting - orginal
29305(1d8+3)37.50237.50210%522.50new drifting
29305(1d8+3)37.50237.50275%831.25break even

Nickodeamous

A qui

A quick and dirty test suggests that all the weapon style ranges for Drifting Lotus has a similar range to old version. What might be feeling different is that the triggers for each "hit" are not continuous like before and separated out by around 0.33s to 0.5s and thus if you're moving around, it might feel like you're missing a hit or two, unlike before where it would trigger right from the first "hit" from it.

J1NG
Yuck...so, basically, you have to hit each mob in succession to get the stun vs. more of a splash stun ala dire charge. I would argue that the splash part (the bright lights) should hit first then the WWA spin should follow...seems like its the inverse. hmmmm

MisterVan

Am I crazy, or is it only hitting once with q-staff now? It's definitely the WW animation, but I'm not seeing more than one hit.

J1NG

Am I crazy, or is it only hitting once with q-staff now? It's definitely the WW animation, but I'm not seeing more than one hit.
Just did a confirmation check and my Quarterstaff Drifting Lotus was definitely hitting twice, but again, there's a delay between first and second hit. Which means if you kill something from the first hit, the second hit from Drifting Lotus won't fire. It also means if you're slowly moving around, it's possible the second hit entirely doesn't hit because the enemy is outside the range of Drifting Lotus now (unlike before where if you hit once, you hit all three times straight away).

J1NG