Dual dagger wielding Pale Master/Eldrich Kinght Vistani Knife fighter Wizard?

Dman1970

Was wondering if this might be an interesting build. If anyone has suggestions for feats, other than two weapon fighting, or enhancement choices, please let me know. I am made a level 7 Human (for the extra feat) Wizard and have started this idea. I know I have two weapon fighting and toughness, not sure of other feats at the moment. I went with Form of the Wraith for the sneak attack, which is what gave me the idea... So far 1 rank in VKF and the daggers down fighting style. Want to take the enhancements to EK to get possibly medium armor. Want to get as much from PM as I can. Vistani is for the haste an some other extras. Anyone that is really good at setting a toon up, please suggest things to make it playable. It doesn't have to be god killing top tier, just want to do respectable damage later in epic level, maybe even reaper 1. Thanks!

Isilion

FuzzyDuck81

It's definitely a solid foundation for a build! For this, my approach is that you'll want much the same approach as any other eldritch knight, so aside from the weapon style feats & improved criticals, metamagic-wise go with quicken, maximise, empower & extend then maybe enlarge spell too (You won't be castnig many attack spells but the few you use especially epic ones you want to hit hard & sometimes its better to keep your distance). Insightful reflexes is a solid bet for any wizard to help with defenses & you'll likely want toughness too. For epic feats, epic toughness is good since you'll want those HPs, also master of the dead for your death aura. Arcane warrior is a very solid option, though it might be worth going with arcane pulse instead for a safer way to stack some nice damage over time on bosses. Element-wise, concentrate on negative energy naturally as well as acid since its the most reliable of the imbues but it certainly won't hurt to have some in the others.

For destiny setup, personally I'd go with shadowdancer as the main one & pump up those sneak attack dice (including ethereal scion at 30) then you can make use of the shadowdancer strike to add sneak attack dice as untyped damage on attacks which will scale with force spellpower & dish out some significant non-resistable damage, especially with 2wf for double the procs. For secondary destiny, primal avatar thorn path; rejuvenation cocoon will still provide some handy healing & the strike is a good opener or when you need to stay at a distance but shard storm plus it's tier 3 boost are the ones you're really after. With the last few destiny points, i'd either throw them into draconic for reflex saves (to boost evasion from shadowdancer, though you'll need to stick with light armour) then try to cram in the extra imbue dice & scales of the dragon. Alternatively, just enough in divine crusader to get smite evil (for the occasional aoe healing to help the team) & HPs plus the 1st 3 cores is a solid option too.

Keep your int high since it'll be your main to-hit stat, probably not for damage though without APs getting tight using harper investment & although you'll have a full suite of spells, don't worry too much about casting DCs as you'll mainly be relying on buffs & a handful of spells without saves or at least non-evadeable ones, lots of acid, stuff like ottos irresistable dance & the power word spells. Also don't overlook wail of the banshee as even with enemies saving vs. death you'll still throw the negs on them to soften them up. For filigrees, go with neg energy healing on hit, sneak attack dice, imbue dice & negative amp.

unbongwah

It's certainly doable, but there are some challenges / limitations:
  • Dual-wielding is great for single-target DPS and applying proc-on-hit/-crit effects but worse for fighting mobs (unless you have Dance of Death) than THF or SWF.
  • Eldritch Knight and Vistani Knife Fighter crit bonuses don't stack.
  • AP shortage: presuming you put 12 APs into Harper Agent for INT to damage, splitting your points between EK and VKF doesn't leave much left for your other wizard trees like Pale Master (undead forms).
So you should probably figure out how much you want to invest into VKF. Some common break points are:
  • 11 APs for Haste Boost, +5% doublestrike (both hands), and Rapid Attack (+20% morale bonus to mainhand doublestrike)
  • 24 APs adds +1 crit range & multiplier, Double Dagger (+20% offhand proc), +5% doublestrike (both hands)
  • 41 APs adds capstone for +5% attack speed and +20 Melee Power
Sample build.

Dman1970

Okay, here's my thought for this. Put 41 into PM, 12 into Harper for the int for the to hit and to damage, 11 into Vistani for the core doublestrike, and 16 into Eldritch knight. I did take two weapon fighting feat as well. Does that seem plausible? He's only level 8 and he seems to hit single targets hard, and I can use spells for AoE stuff... OR drop Vistani completely and go PM/EK/Harper and go single weapon fighting and use an orb in off hand...

Last edited:

unbongwah

Put 41 into PM, 12 into Harper for the int for the to hit and to damage, 11 into Vistani for the core doublestrike, and 16 into Eldritch knight.
With this split you're not getting any crit bonuses. 41 PM / 24 VKF / 12 Harper would improve your melee DPS, but obviously only leaves a few points for EK.

Bizmarkie

Your dps honestly doesn't come from your weapon rolls. So I'm not sure int to dmg matters. It's EK dice and the primal destiny elemental dmg. These are so huge and the first number is tiny. Get int to hit in EK and ignore harper - unless you need tactics.

Ek cleave, eldritch burst, draconic breath are massive AOE killers and that's before you use wail, weird, etc.

On furlinastis I went massive vampirism [3 sources] for reaper self heal. But the dps is not poor. He shreds. I moved him over to Argo if you want to play and see it live.

Reilia

I think if you are going 41 into PM then you are a caster and not a melee. ATM I'm running with 6 points in PM for the healing aura and most points in EK, 12 in Harper and Feydark for Color Spray and the extra prr/mrr.

Shear-buckler

The negative energy absorbtion in T1 VKF reduces self healing as undead, so it's not a great combo. Otherwise 32 PM for improved zombie form, 41 VKF for capstone, 8 harper for KTa would be pretty good.

Contessor

It's definitely a solid foundation for a build! For this, my approach is that you'll want much the same approach as any other eldritch knight, so aside from the weapon style feats & improved criticals, metamagic-wise go with quicken, maximise, empower & extend then maybe enlarge spell too (You won't be castnig many attack spells but the few you use especially epic ones you want to hit hard & sometimes its better to keep your distance). Insightful reflexes is a solid bet for any wizard to help with defenses & you'll likely want toughness too. For epic feats, epic toughness is good since you'll want those HPs, also master of the dead for your death aura. Arcane warrior is a very solid option, though it might be worth going with arcane pulse instead for a safer way to stack some nice damage over time on bosses. Element-wise, concentrate on negative energy naturally as well as acid since its the most reliable of the imbues but it certainly won't hurt to have some in the others.

For destiny setup, personally I'd go with shadowdancer as the main one & pump up those sneak attack dice (including ethereal scion at 30) then you can make use of the shadowdancer strike to add sneak attack dice as untyped damage on attacks which will scale with force spellpower & dish out some significant non-resistable damage, especially with 2wf for double the procs. For secondary destiny, primal avatar thorn path; rejuvenation cocoon will still provide some handy healing & the strike is a good opener or when you need to stay at a distance but shard storm plus it's tier 3 boost are the ones you're really after. With the last few destiny points, i'd either throw them into draconic for reflex saves (to boost evasion from shadowdancer, though you'll need to stick with light armour) then try to cram in the extra imbue dice & scales of the dragon. Alternatively, just enough in divine crusader to get smite evil (for the occasional aoe healing to help the team) & HPs plus the 1st 3 cores is a solid option too.

Keep your int high since it'll be your main to-hit stat, probably not for damage though without APs getting tight using harper investment & although you'll have a full suite of spells, don't worry too much about casting DCs as you'll mainly be relying on buffs & a handful of spells without saves or at least non-evadeable ones, lots of acid, stuff like ottos irresistable dance & the power word spells. Also don't overlook wail of the banshee as even with enemies saving vs. death you'll still throw the negs on them to soften them up. For filigrees, go with neg energy healing on hit, sneak attack dice, imbue dice & negative amp.
GMoF (drifting lotus)+ Goldcurse Dagger is a nice combo. But you don’t need to go high in the tree. T4 to upgrade is enough.