duel class Cleric/Wizard build help

Trod7

I usually go rogue but want to try dual class wizard/cleric or cleric/wizard. Any suggestions on a good all around build would be greatly appreciated! I have never really tried anything yet and don't want to waste time on trial and error. Thank you in advance!

rabidfox

The People's Champion
What are you looking for out of it playstyle wise? If you're going physical damage beat things with weapons, it could eek by with some careful building. But if going caster, it'll suffer badly.

SpartanKiller13

Wizard is an Int class, Cleric is a Wis class. Both are full caster classes, so you rarely want to multiclass heavily (1-3 level dips can be good if you have a plan). They have melee options, but Cleric melee is mostly War Domain for Holy Sword, whereas Eldritch Knight is fairly imbue-based.

The level splits all feel weird, even if there's a fair few options?

But really, as Rabitfox said above - what are the goals? That will help us a lot with giving advice. Are you looking for a THF melee that doesn't cast, some sort of melee hybrid, a full caster, a tank, etc? Do you want an endgame build, a leveling build, do you run Hard solo or group for R4 stuff, etc?

droid327

Arcane/divine splits are almost never a good idea. They just have no synergy, they share nothing. You just end up being a sucky version of both.

Hireling

I usually go rogue but want to try dual class wizard/cleric or cleric/wizard. Any suggestions on a good all around build would be greatly appreciated! I have never really tried anything yet and don't want to waste time on trial and error. Thank you in advance!
Not trying to be demeaning...
Maybe roll a Bard or Arty instead?
Can get some nice nuke spells and cures.
Or a Druid?

Lazuli

In DDO that split doesn't work, be careful, it can be a horrible life.

In pnp there is the mystical theurge prestige class, which solves the problem (at least from level 7 - before that it is horrible, with many spells but all too weak as they are very low level), but here we don't have that. I would advise playing a druid instead, which allows you to have nukes and heals.

Lazuli

What are you looking for out of it playstyle wise? If you're going physical damage beat things with weapons, it could eek by with some careful building. But if going caster, it'll suffer badly.
I agree about caster not working and melee maybe yes. But even so, cleric hardly contributes anything to EK. Other classes would contribute much more.

In the past there were people who took a few wizard levels for the undead shroud in a melee cleric build, but now you have the dark apostate for that...

DBZ

AOTS might work a little better but then you need tiefling race

Or just go Dragon lord thats what ssg wants

The Narc

If you were going to do such a build, i would recommend having some tomes and past lives to enhance it and maybe consider a combination if dark apostate and palemaster combination. Maybe 7 wizard/13 cleric allowing for death aura or donit heavily wizard with a dash of 4-6 cleric levels for access to enhancement trees. Would suggest human for race for the extra feat.

droid327

If you were going to do such a build, i would recommend having some tomes and past lives to enhance it and maybe consider a combination if dark apostate and palemaster combination. Maybe 7 wizard/13 cleric allowing for death aura or donit heavily wizard with a dash of 4-6 cleric levels for access to enhancement trees. Would suggest human for race for the extra feat.

This would only make sense if DA brought anything to the equation better than just adding more Wiz levels. But it doesnt, because DA sucks and was designed very poorly to do what it was intended to...especially with only 13 levels

Last edited:

Griglok (Karatemack)

Leader- The Casual Obsession (Khyber)
I'm going to take this on as a challenge. I'll cover what we're able to come up with on next week's Fixer Upper. You can catch it on Monday the 15th at 8 PM EST at twitch.tv/ddostream and I'll post the final build here as well.

axel15810

If it's mainly for flavor that's understandable but practically there is not a lot of synergy between wiz and cleric - might want to try Dark Apostate instead if you are looking to do an undead cleric. If you want insta kill casting you can look at death domain.

The Narc

This would only make sense if DA brought anything to the equation better than just adding more Wiz levels. But it doesnt, because DA sucks and was designed very poorly to do what it was intended to...especially with only 13 levels
This may be true , but the OP is looking for a suggestion for this combination, hence the suggestion. Dark apostate does have some advantages with the death domain and some low hanging fruit in the enhancement tree. Maybe a 15 wizard/5 dark apostate.

droid327

This may be true , but the OP is looking for a suggestion for this combination, hence the suggestion. Dark apostate does have some advantages with the death domain and some low hanging fruit in the enhancement tree. Maybe a 15 wizard/5 dark apostate.

Well of course the best answer is "dont", so the best suggestion for multiclassing is going to be the closest to not multiclassing :)

Maybe then just go 18 Wiz/2 DA, just for the cheap spellpower in the DA and DD cores, plus extra crit and temp SP/spellpower procs with your Neg spells.

LurkingVeteran

None of these are optimal, but I think they are decent:

1) The obvious one is Death/Negative Energy Cleric with Wizard 4 for negative immunity removal. It's not amazing due to spell point issues if you go all out on negative nuking but I don't think it's terrible. You lose out on SL9 cleric spells, but you still get all necro ones, including Inflict Critical, Mass which is what you need anyway. You want a +2 divine caster level item to try to make up for the 4 lost levels though. You will also lose out on the capstone, but at least you get Word of Balance. I would probably go DD over DA.

I'm not sure if anything in the DA tree is actually worth investment. Illusionist 10-20 for color spray / force SLAs is probably better mileage.

I would level up as regular cleric DD up to L16 or so and then just add 4 Wiz-PM. Invest in negative spell power, and some light for dealing with undead (sunburst) and demons (smites) until you an strip negative immunity at PM4.

2) Another that might work but doesn't really kick off until L24 is DD T4 nuker with Wiz AM T5 for arcane supremacy and AM force SLA to stack Master of Knowledge at L24. I would pair this with the cleric force/untyped spells and illusionist. Maybe Fire Domain / Tiefling, because as 5 Wizard you can now also spam Scorch to remove fire immunity. You lose SL9 spells and 5 caster levels though (3 after items) but MoK and arcane supremacy might be worth it, at least on a fire build

For this one I would also definitely do L1-15 as regular DD cleric and and just pick up the wizard levels at the end, because they are going to be not so strong until you can pick up Master of Knowledge at L24 (mainly just contributing a bit extra crit chance). If you need an extra feat for some reason you could add one earlier. Invest in Fire/Force/Light spell power. Might want to pick up Master of Alignment as well.

Under no circumstances go something like Wiz 10/cleric 10, or interleave levels, that is going to be horrible. You need your primary casting class to have high levels, and wiz gets most power at L17+, so you really do not want to splash more than 1-2 levels of anything else. Cleric is a little bit more forgiving.

Last edited:

seph1roth5

I mean this in as nice a way as possible, but are you new lol?

I see LOTS of new people wanting to do things that are just really really rough playstyles without a static group to pick up the slack. They want to multiclass things that don't sync well, or want to be a pure tank or pure healer. DDO isn't really...like other MMOs when it comes to that.

A cleric or fvs gets tons of heals just on their own without needing to specialize. Bard and druid are very easy to heal with as well. Alchemist and to a lesser extent, artificer, CAN heal enough, but chucking potions is hard. Rangers and paladins can heal some in a pinch. Not to mention hirelings can be brought.

With tanking, building a tank as a newbie will make you maybe...20% more beefy, but you do 5x less damage. So while you might get missed more, and take less damage, EVERY FIGHT takes much longer so you wind up needing more healing anyway.

For multiclass, newbies really should do a few lives as a pure 20 first to see how DDOs classes and enhancement trees work. Then, they'll see what they'd get at say, 6 rogue or 12 fighter. And after a few lives they'll be more knowledgeable and can go "I think I'm good at 12 fighter, what else can I add....."

That said, I can't think of a reason to multi cleric and wizard.

Bogrot

I needed a cleric life to get closer to completionist and ran a variation of wizard/cleric and had great fun. I tend to solo and so needed trapping as well. My final build was 7 wizard/ 7 cleric/ 6 dark hunter, I ran with dual scimitar with falconry to get wis to hit/damage. I took the character to lvl 32 and enjoyed it so much that I ETR'ed to 20 and then back to 32.

Is it the most powerful build? No, but it is viable to solo to max level and this life I am going for my last but one life to completionist by running a variant - 8 FVS/7 Wiz/ 5 Dark Hunter.

LurkingVeteran

Yeah if you build for melee then you can multi-class however you want. All classes have some kind of melee tree, so just pick one of those and you will have a somewhat functional character. The main thing that suffers in this case is the healing. Just need to decide if you want to primarily be a Wiz-PM for heals or cleric-whatever for heals.

Trod7

dual wield and I mostly solo. I also like to play more difficult ways of play. For instance say character lvl 10 and quest say 13 enjoying the challenge is most exciting for me especially when solo. I play hard and love the impossible. 😏