Effective Auctions are possible?

Sand

Dear All,

my personal feeling is that in the Auctions very often there are items out of price, proposed several subsequent times and nobody buys them.
This happens in both Auction House and Shard Exchange.
I suggest a simple modification to make more effective auctions, from my perspective, valid for both of them: 30% of the basic price (PP or Shards, same approach) is paid at the time of the auction set, and these PP/shards are lost, no way to recover them.
Then, if an item is sold, the auctioneer keep also the needed PP/Shards to arrive to the 30% of the final price, while the Char get overall the 70%.

Example 1:
- Item auctioned with basic price 100'000pp
- Char pays immediately 30'000pp (lost forever, 30% of basic price)
- Item sold at 500'000pp
- Char gets 380'000 pp (additional 120'000pp are kept by the auctioneer)
- At the end the player get the 70% of the sold price (380'000 - 30'000 = 350'000 pp).

Example 2:
- Item not sold.
- Char gets back the item, but not refunding for paid money (30'000 pp)

In my opinion, this would prevent people to propose items with crazy prices.
I've seen a sentient filigree proposed at 2000 shards and buyout at 3000 shards.
I mean, if someone is confident that his/her item has this value, this person should be also confident to sell it, so no problem in assuming the risk.
In the mentioned case, the risk of loosing 600 shards.

As further improvement, only for Auction House (pp), I'd like to suggest no money lost for items proposed to their game value, while the rule of 30% kept by auctioneer remains if the item is sold.

Regards,
Sand.

Upvote 0

rabidfox

The People's Champion
No thanks. I would never list again. The shard exchange would be next to empty. AH sales can be slow, it can take weeks for something to sell; a constant tax on those listings would mean I'd give up listing forever (outside prearranged sales that were setup before the listing was put up). Simple solution, if you don't like the prices someone has something listed for then don't buy it.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
...yeah, this would kill the Shard Exchange outright.

Any idea involving permanent loss of what is effectively a paid currency because of something which isn't a player's fault is a bad one.

LeoLionxxx

Lion of Orien
30% of the basic price (PP or Shards, same approach) is paid at the time of the auction set, and these PP/shards are lost, no way to recover them.
Hard no from me. From my perception, items not being sold is mostly due to lack of interest in the items, not outrageous prices.

IMO allowing auction periods of longer than 3 days would go a long way towards helping players sell AND discover items on the AH.

In my perfect DDO world, there's a system like the Runescape Grand Exchange where players can post items, but also post for items they're looking for; for example, I post for Goggles with Deadly + any other effect + a blue augment slot, ranging from LV 5 to 9, and someone fulfills it.

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
Again... We should have an option to tumb down some suggestions - like this one. No thanks. If post something even without selling came with a permanent cost I certanly wouldn't post anything at ASAH or AH.

If people post or bid abusive prices it is a players behavior issue, not a system issue.

nix

Isn't most of the overinflated pricing just folks using the AH as additional storage?

DDO Gaming

A much simpler approach would be the auction house offering a basic price for each item. Items that other gamers fail to purchase are then purchased by the auction house at that basic price. However that then negates all the traders willing to offer pittance for your equipment

Stoner66

It's good to be the King!
Dear All,

my personal feeling is that in the Auctions very often there are items out of price, proposed several subsequent times and nobody buys them.
This happens in both Auction House and Shard Exchange.
I suggest a simple modification to make more effective auctions, from my perspective, valid for both of them: 30% of the basic price (PP or Shards, same approach) is paid at the time of the auction set, and these PP/shards are lost, no way to recover them.
Then, if an item is sold, the auctioneer keep also the needed PP/Shards to arrive to the 30% of the final price, while the Char get overall the 70%.

Example 1:
- Item sold at 500'000pp
- Char gets 380'000 pp (additional 120'000pp are kept by the auctioneer)
- At the end the player get the 70% of the sold price (380'000 - 30'000 = 350'000 pp).

Example 2:
- Item not sold.
- Char gets back the item, but not refunding for paid money (30'000 pp)

In my opinion, this would prevent people to propose items with crazy prices.
I've seen a sentient filigree proposed at 2000 shards and buyout at 3000 shards.
I mean, if someone is confident that his/her item has this value, this person should be also confident to sell it, so no problem in assuming the risk.
In the mentioned case, the risk of loosing 600 shards.

As further improvement, only for Auction House (pp), I'd like to suggest no money lost for items proposed to their game value, while the rule of 30% kept by auctioneer remains if the item is sold.

Regards,
Sand.

One of the reasons you see items in the auction houses is because players may not have the room to hold them. So, tehy use the AH's to "store" items they want to keep but have no room. So, you see items that (nobody will buy) for prices that are hugely inflated. That gives them 3days of free storage. The fix for the problem you mentioned would be to increase the cost to post (based on the price posted for. For instance; price posted 3-100AS charge 1AS, 101-500 charge 10AS, 500+ charge 25AS. Do something similar with the PP AH. Then people may not want to waste the shards just to store an item.

dur

aka Cybersquirt
Isn't most of the overinflated pricing just folks using the AH as additional storage?
That's what the SE is for, since you get the shard back if it doesn't sell and it's accessible anywhere. ;)

If anything, that (*plat refund) would be a nice feature to add to AH.

Suggestion

I have thought for a long time that the posting fee on the plat AH should be based on the larger of the item value or the minimum bid. I do like the idea that the posting fee is deducted from the selling commission as a way of reducing the overall cost to the seller.
I don't think the ASAH should be changed though.

Contessor

Sorry, this has to be one of the worst suggestions ever. So dumb, the devs will probably use it.

If you want to fix the AH, you would make min/max bids for items with an option for a max bid to buyout.

Speed

Sounds like trolling.

True value of item can be different for each player and situation or given time.
Something that looks crazy for you might be fine for others, if not today, then maybe next week or month when they need it.
I bought many items for 1-2 mln platinum or 100+ astral shards just because I desired them at exactly that moment.
I sell a lot and some things are sold on second, third or longer try, because 3 days is not enough even in real world where buyer base is ultra huge where compared to one ddo server.
If 30% is lost on each 3 day try, then I guess AH would be dead and I would not be able to buy things like I can now.

Dragavon

This would ensure that nothing was ever posted on the auction house or shard exchange ever again. If that is the purpose then a very good suggestion :cool: