Elemental damage and Immunities... a rethink

Frantik

I play a lot of casters and hate that there are some monsters that are immune to a certain damage type. It makes no sense and can severely prejudice certain caster types.

Example: Dretches... they are immune to electricty damage. And just why is that? Are they not made of flesh and blood? I find it both frustrating and ridiculous.

As SSG have continued to nerf casters, including and not limited to caster classes having limited Epic Strikes to MCL 20 for whatever reason that is and one that they have failed to communicate to their community, they bolster melees including the new OP Dragonlord class, which for a melee class has the ability (when it works) to strip elemental immunity. The world turned upside down!

So here's what I would do:
- remove all elemental damage imunities (and NOT replace them with 95% elemental resistance or something daft)
- electricity and sonic spells/strikes on critical stun enemy for n seconds (which is an additional stun duration in case of greater shout etc)
- critical cold spells/strikes slow enemies for n seconds by x%
- acid and fire criticals causes enemies to panic (fear) for n seconds
- light criticals cause cower for evil aligned enemies for n seconds
- remove elemental damage causing any "healing" effects like acid on Clay Golem, its just ridiculous.
- current abilities to strip iummunities could simply reduce resistance instead

I get that certain monster can be highly resistant to a certain elemental damage; fire dragons for example could have 50% fire resistance and immune to critical spell casts, for example. But making monsters immune is AHHHH

And where's the Force Epic Destiny as promised?

Just venting while the servers are down :)

Upvote 0

woq

Or the Warlock-esque epic destiny gets released, and provides elemental stripping/bypass. Curses are thematic to that fantasy.
I was gonna write a lengthy post about the game sorely needing an "affliction" -fantasy ED that revolves around debuffs, sustained single target damage and debuffing to provide casters with an alternative method of competing in higher difficulties and endgame, but there are already 4 arcane epic destinies and some overlap, and they just came out of an ED revamp.

Raedier

I play a lot of casters and hate that there are some monsters that are immune to a certain damage type. It makes no sense and can severely prejudice certain caster types.

Example: Dretches... they are immune to electricty damage. And just why is that? Are they not made of flesh and blood? I find it both frustrating and ridiculous.

As SSG have continued to nerf casters, including and not limited to caster classes having limited Epic Strikes to MCL 20 for whatever reason that is and one that they have failed to communicate to their community, they bolster melees including the new OP Dragonlord class, which for a melee class has the ability (when it works) to strip elemental immunity. The world turned upside down!

So here's what I would do:
- remove all elemental damage imunities (and NOT replace them with 95% elemental resistance or something daft)
- electricity and sonic spells/strikes on critical stun enemy for n seconds (which is an additional stun duration in case of greater shout etc)
- critical cold spells/strikes slow enemies for n seconds by x%
- acid and fire criticals causes enemies to panic (fear) for n seconds
- light criticals cause cower for evil aligned enemies for n seconds
- remove elemental damage causing any "healing" effects like acid on Clay Golem, its just ridiculous.
- current abilities to strip iummunities could simply reduce resistance instead

I get that certain monster can be highly resistant to a certain elemental damage; fire dragons for example could have 50% fire resistance and immune to critical spell casts, for example. But making monsters immune is AHHHH

And where's the Force Epic Destiny as promised?

Just venting while the servers are down :)
I actually like the concept and certain cc types being tied to certain spell damage types but it seems that’s bit unreliable and possibly way too op to have 70% crit chance and just mass stun mobs on any spell with a crit :p

I think removing immunity stripping and introducing more resistance but also resistance bypass and maybe more debuffs could potentially introduce a deeper layer of depth into the game that could be quite enjoyable.

Xgya

At this point you're almost suggesting Magic Fortification.
Because spells can Crit and Fort doesn't seem to affect that.

You could keep energy resistances and add some form of crit resistance to mobs because it's a mechanic that already works against pointy stick users.
Then you introduce gearing to make people try and ignore part of those new defenses.

droid327

I agree that immunities and immunity breakers are both way too cheap in the game right now, and its driving the meta that kinda renders the whole thing moot - if every caster needs a breaker, then immunities become pointless to even have in the first place, because breakers completely negate their defense against that element.

I'd like to see true immunities made FAR rarer. Current immune mobs can simply get higher resistances - how many mobs actually have resistances between 50-90% right now? Its either low to moderate resistance, or outright immunity, and that doesnt make sense. Then breakers could simply lower resistance by some percentage (but not below 0%) - rendering true immune mobs slightly vulnerable, or resistant mobs more vulnerable. That'd make it possible to still play single-element casters (and justify making breakers a little more ubiquitous, though some classes may have stronger breakers than others), but still make certain mobs more of a challenge than others, and reward you for having a second element.

Xgya

I agree that immunities and immunity breakers are both way too cheap in the game right now, and its driving the meta that kinda renders the whole thing moot - if every caster needs a breaker, then immunities become pointless to even have in the first place, because breakers completely negate their defense against that element.

I'd like to see true immunities made FAR rarer. Current immune mobs can simply get higher resistances - how many mobs actually have resistances between 50-90% right now? Its either low to moderate resistance, or outright immunity, and that doesnt make sense. Then breakers could simply lower resistance by some percentage (but not below 0%) - rendering true immune mobs slightly vulnerable, or resistant mobs more vulnerable. That'd make it possible to still play single-element casters (and justify making breakers a little more ubiquitous, though some classes may have stronger breakers than others), but still make certain mobs more of a challenge than others, and reward you for having a second element.
Even better: you could potentially make resistance lowering itemizable, and classes that have multiple ways to break have those stack (only example coming to mind is Awaken Weakness for Sorcs)