Epic life Question

Altra

We have a static group. We've been running heroic lives. This is our first epic. We'll just run to 30 and ER (or TR or whatever) Not at all interested in end game right now.

Can someone explain to me the EH-EE-ER run order to me, I'm confused.

Heroic, we pretty much ran everything on R1.
Is it not just run the quests and move on, or do we need to run multiple times for XP or another reason?

Thank you so much.

Lazuli

I do it the following way when I want to do serial ERs: the first time I go up doing everything in reaper (skull to your preference). I usually do everything Evening, borderlands, phiarlan carnival, chronosope, von 5-6, haunted halls, epic giant, and epic necro. If you don't do the raids, you can fill in with an explorers run + 100 kills in saltmarsh and feywild wilderness, maybe also borderlands. But this should give you more than enough xp to reach 30. I usually do an ADQ2 run every ER too: in 10 mins, a good chunk of xp. No pots.

Afterwards I usually do high reaper, or at least the legendary sagas in high reaper; If you are not interested in this, do them at least in r3-r4, which will give you a chunk of reaper xp.

With all the sagas prepared, you can do the ER, collect the sagas (if you have a pot, the better), and with a certain epic level, level up again. Doing evening sagas now in elite to take advantage of the first completions, plus some dailies should easily take you to level 28, when you can start doing legendary sagas in elite. Once at 30, finish the legendary sagas (in reaper, even if it's r1) to do the ER again. You can do this step as many times as you can endure (my tolerance for repetition is limited) doing the sagas on r1 or elite (better r1 once the first elite completion has been spent).

For the last time I level up an ER I reserve all the quests that I have been saving for this last run (none ran before): catacombs, red fens, wiz king, von 2-4, deleras, spies, the evening challenges, epic 3bc... with this after collecting the sagas easily makes another ER. Slayers is also a very quick way to do an ER. Anyways, at this point I am ready for a TR.

But this for serial ERs. If you are only going to do an ER, play reaper or elite once until cap, there is more than enough xp. You don't need to repeat if you don't want to.

Last edited:

Matuse

I absolute hate the idea of wasting past lives, so I have been careful over time to do what I can to get the maximum total lives in the minimum actual lives. When past lives first came out, I ran a Wizard, Ranger and Barbarian life. So I've had those sitting for a while. Last year when I had a VIP subscription active, it gave access to Deep Gnome and Alchemist which I don't otherwise have. Knowing that I wasn't going to keep VIP going forever, I wanted to make maximal use of my available lives.

I ran:
Aasimar Scourge, 1 Ranger, 19 Alchemist
Razorclaw Shifter, 1 Barbarian, 19 Alchemist
Deep Gnome, 1 Wizard, 19 Alchemist
Deep Gnome 20 Wizard
Deep Gnome 20 Wizard

So at the end of that, I finished all of my Deep Gnome and Alchemist so I never have to buy either of them, I equalized the ratio of wizard/deep gnome, and I also put a Scourge/Razorclaw life so now I have 1 of each of those to match the Ranger/Barb lives I had previously. Now in the future I can do a pair of ranger PLs as a Scourge and a pair of Barbarian PLs as a Razorclaw, and no past lives are wasted, nor do I have to do some wierd 11/9 or 8/6/6 class split to shoehorn in a life and have to deal with a wierd, sad build. I didn't really LIKE playing alchemist, but the class is super strong and was able to perform well despite not being pure and losing the capstone. Also being iconic, I got to start at 15 and avoid the early level pain that alchemist has before Multivial.

So now (with of course, other lives) having gotten class completionist, my plan is to do Racial + Epic life combos, and save up additional class PLs for the appropriate Iconic and not have to worry about mixing and matching.

It's not the best way - there is no best way - but it's the way that worked out well for me.

Altra

I do it the following way when I want to do serial ERs: the first time I go up doing everything in reaper (skull to your preference). I usually do everything Evening, borderlands, phiarlan carnival, chronosope, von 5-6, haunted halls, epic giant, and epic necro. If you don't do the raids, you can fill in with an explorers run + 100 kills in saltmarsh and feywild wilderness, maybe also borderlands. But this should give you more than enough xp to reach 30. I usually do an ADQ2 run every ER too: in 10 mins, a good chunk of xp. No pots.

Afterwards I usually do high reaper, or at least the legendary sagas in high reaper; If you are not interested in this, do them at least in r3-r4, which will give you a chunk of reaper xp.

With all the sagas prepared, you can do the ER, collect the sagas (if you have a pot, the better), and with a certain epic level, level up again. Doing evening sagas now in elite to take advantage of the first completions, plus some dailies should easily take you to level 28, when you can start doing legendary sagas in elite. Once at 30, finish the legendary sagas (in reaper, even if it's r1) to do the ER again. You can do this step as many times as you can endure (my tolerance for repetition is limited) doing the sagas on r1 or elite (better r1 once the first elite completion has been spent).

For the last time I level up an ER I reserve all the quests that I have been saving for this last run (none ran before): catacombs, red fens, wiz king, von 2-4, deleras, spies, the evening challenges, epic 3bc... with this after collecting the sagas easily makes another ER. Slayers is also a very quick way to do an ER. Anyways, at this point I am ready for a TR.

But this for serial ERs. If you are only going to do an ER, play reaper or elite once until cap, there is more than enough xp. You don't need to repeat if you don't want to.

I absolute hate the idea of wasting past lives, so I have been careful over time to do what I can to get the maximum total lives in the minimum actual lives. When past lives first came out, I ran a Wizard, Ranger and Barbarian life. So I've had those sitting for a while. Last year when I had a VIP subscription active, it gave access to Deep Gnome and Alchemist which I don't otherwise have. Knowing that I wasn't going to keep VIP going forever, I wanted to make maximal use of my available lives.

I ran:
Aasimar Scourge, 1 Ranger, 19 Alchemist
Razorclaw Shifter, 1 Barbarian, 19 Alchemist
Deep Gnome, 1 Wizard, 19 Alchemist
Deep Gnome 20 Wizard
Deep Gnome 20 Wizard

So at the end of that, I finished all of my Deep Gnome and Alchemist so I never have to buy either of them, I equalized the ratio of wizard/deep gnome, and I also put a Scourge/Razorclaw life so now I have 1 of each of those to match the Ranger/Barb lives I had previously. Now in the future I can do a pair of ranger PLs as a Scourge and a pair of Barbarian PLs as a Razorclaw, and no past lives are wasted, nor do I have to do some wierd 11/9 or 8/6/6 class split to shoehorn in a life and have to deal with a wierd, sad build. I didn't really LIKE playing alchemist, but the class is super strong and was able to perform well despite not being pure and losing the capstone. Also being iconic, I got to start at 15 and avoid the early level pain that alchemist has before Multivial.

So now (with of course, other lives) having gotten class completionist, my plan is to do Racial + Epic life combos, and save up additional class PLs for the appropriate Iconic and not have to worry about mixing and matching.

It's not the best way - there is no best way - but it's the way that worked out well for me.

There is so much Epic XP in this game, you can ETR 3-4 times on FTBs alone.
Thank you all so very much!
So pretty much, just level like we did in heroics, do our quest, move on.

We really haven't decided if we want to do another iconic life after this one, or not.

Lazuli

Thank you all so very much!
So pretty much, just level like we did in heroics, do our quest, move on.

We really haven't decided if we want to do another iconic life after this one, or not.
Since you are not going to do serial ERs, if you do the evening sagas, collecting them saves you all of level 29 and maybe some of level 28. No pots.

You won't have any problem getting up to the cap, you'll see :)

Lazuli

It's not so bad if you do it wisely. Just collecting the sagas already leaves you at level 24-25.

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
We'll just run to 30 and ER (or TR or whatever) Not at all interested in end game right now.
Most the advices were given above are real nice and accurate.

I would like to add, since eventually your group will complete Lengendary Sagas (Ravenloft, Saltmarsh, Feywild, Sharn), is nice do at least one life till 32... Legendary levels don't reset EVER. Even after a full true reincarnation, everytime you hit Lv. 30, you will be capped for Lv. 32.

So, do it at least once, make sense and will help in futures ETRs.

C-Dog

We have a static group... This is our first epic. We'll just run to 30 and ER (or TR or whatever) ...
ER/TR is an important diff - it's the diff between going back to 20 and re-doing Epics (which can be a problem if not planned for, as explained above), or finishing with this build and starting a new one (at 1 for a Heroic-race life, or 15 for a future life as an Iconic race).

The way to think of it is this: all "True" Reincarnation options end the current build and start a fresh one. So, Heroic and Racial at 20 (and Iconic at 30) are all "True", and require/allow a new build.

Lesser and Epic, which keep your class order and only allow a limited reworking, are both "not True", since the Classes/Race/sex/etc stay the same.

So, your group will first need to ER, back to 20*. Then the group decides if you want to A) re-run Epics (back to where you are now, with the same options), or B) then have everyone do a TR from 20 back to 1/15 for a new build.

(* Note - this is not an option for any Iconic race in the group, which can only go to 1 from 30. If you do have an Iconic in the mix, they can only either ER back to 20 (and then go to 30 again before they ITR), OR Iconic True Reincarnate now (back to 1/15 for a new build).)

Altra

C-Dog, we're iconics this life.
So we need to choose to go back to 20 then back up to 30 or to 1 (or another iconic) with a whole new life.
Thanks!

(Edit) Does going to 30 then back to one still get us both iconic and class or racial lives?

Lazuli

So we need to choose to go back to 20 then back up to 30 or to 1 (or another iconic) with a whole new life.
Thanks!

(Edit) Does going to 30 then back to one still get us both iconic and class or racial lives?
Yes! Going 30 and then back to one (regular race life) o to 15 (new iconic life) grant both the iconic and class PL. Racial no, iconic PL is the "racial" of a iconic.

Last edited:

Lazuli

I explain better:
If you were a normal race, you could get an epic PL (when returning to 20 with an epic reincarnation) and a racial or class one (when returning to 1 or 15 with a TR). Epic Reincarnation and True Reincarnation are usually done immediately after each other.

An iconic when doing TR (go back to 1 or 15, it doesn't matter) receives iconic and class PL. If you do epic reincarnation you need to go back to 30 before doing the TR.

C-Dog

Ah, that makes things simpler, by far.

Thanks!
Exactly.
  • Option 1: ER to 20 (rebuild current life/classes), then go to 30 again. (But no "1st time" XP bonuses for quests already run!)
  • Option 2: IR and start a new life (from 1 or 15, but better to all do the same!)
IR gets you Iconic + CLass. Racial Reincarnation is option for Heroic races only.

Sounds like you're on track, GL!