Epic Spell Power: Positive, for Exalted Angel Holy Presence, and Critical Damage Multiplier

fireball241_jt

'Does Epic Spell Power: Positive feat, affect EA Holy Presence and RS Aura?'
What else does it affect?

How does the Critical Damage multiplier work?

SpartanKiller13

When your aura ticks, or when you cast a healing spell, it runs a calculation. (Base healing plus caster level as applicable) x (100+spellpower/100) then there's a chance of a spell crit (equal to your spell critical chance); if you get a spell crit, you multiply the whole thing by (200+spell crit damage)/100.

Using Holy Presence as an example, if you have CL 25, 600 spellpower, 40% spell crit, and 30% spell crit damage: (1d4+1) x 25 (CL) x (600+100)/100.

1d4+1 averages 3.5, x 25 = 87.5 x 7 = 612 average proc. However, 40% of the time it'll crit, and those times it'll be 200 (base crits are 2x) +30 (your bonus spell crit damage)/100 (to remove percentages = (200+30)/100 = 2.3x the base proc = 1409 average crit proc.

So taking ESP: Positive gives +20 spellpower (which would make that 620 spellpower instead of 600, which is a 2.85% increase in heal size) and +10% Spell Critical Damage (which would mean you have +40% bonus, or 2.4x instead of 2.3x = 4.35% larger crits as well). In the above example without ESP: P you would average 931/tic (given the crit rate), and if you took ESP: P you'd average 983/tic, a 5.56% increase on average.

The more crit chance you have the more effective crit damage multiplier is; a melee build using EA mantle while leveling that only has base 5% spell crit chance isn't going to care much at all, but a dedicated healbot with 70% positive spell crit chance will be getting a lot more value from it.

Does that help clear things up a bit? TL;DR: spell crit damage makes your spell crits (which are base 2x) bigger whenever they happen.

(Edit: how do I get markdown mode here so I can stop having emojis show up)

fireball241_jt

So RS Aura critical, but Holy Presence does not?
I don't see it do double

My Critical is 21%, but I can get it to 25%, maybe 30%. It is for a PDK Maul Melee Cleric with a splash of Pally. CLR15/PAL4/FTR1. Also looking at Doublestrike or Crush Weakness, but not much crowd control on this build. It is Charisma based with a splash of Fey. Max Radiant Servant with the critical from that. EA and Fury for Melee THF

Last edited:

SpartanKiller13

I haven't tested either, but should be pretty fast to test? I'm pretty sure Holy Presence can crit though, but perhaps it's bugged? Run the numbers and get an estimate of what you expect to see? It could be bugged to never crit, or to always crit? Usually for me the number looks a lot bigger on a crit too FWIW. I think you can change the color if you want as well :)

Hard to argue with Doublestrike, it's probably 3-4% DPS for ya.

With 21% positive crit chance getting more spell crit damage isn't very high priority (since you only crit 1/5 of the time) but the 20 spellpower will probably go further since you probs only have like 2-300 positive spellpower.

fireball241_jt

I haven't tested either, but should be pretty fast to test? I'm pretty sure Holy Presence can crit though, but perhaps it's bugged? Run the numbers and get an estimate of what you expect to see? It could be bugged to never crit, or to always crit? Usually for me the number looks a lot bigger on a crit too FWIW. I think you can change the color if you want as well :)

Hard to argue with Doublestrike, it's probably 3-4% DPS for ya.

With 21% positive crit chance getting more spell crit damage isn't very high priority (since you only crit 1/5 of the time) but the 20 spellpower will probably go further since you probs only have like 2-300 positive spellpower.
Yep.

Aura critical, but Holy Presence does not seem to. If it did all that ticking would be worth it.

Doublestrike is easier to build in with gear too. I might have to add it somewhere. I took Doublestrike. Not sure what to do for next ED feat?

The choice now is using ED for FOTW Strikethrough or Doublestrike?

SpartanKiller13

Usually for a Maul build I'd expect PTHF > Doublestrike > choices lol. Crush Weakness if you have good CC, Deific Warding for tankiness, or since you're in Fury and Chaotic I'd take Harbinger of Chaos b/c it works nicely with the T5.

I aim for 200% ST, no more no less so I can play around it - I always want to melee 3 mobs then (can step in closer if cleaving etc). So if you have some ST from like KotC or PDK you can probs go Doublestrike in FotW? Doublestrike is basically bonus damage % lol it's pretty great given the option.