FaceBook + DDO

Gnyxl

I like to play DDO with Facebook up in the background, because this is the main way some people communicate with me (through messenger). I've noticed however, that when I get a FaceBook notification, it shuts DDO down. Does anyone know a workaround or even better, a cure for this? Thanks in advance!

GrayJedi AntiProPaladin

(used to work at Facebook in the somewhat early days...we're fond of workarounds/hacks/what-have-u...)

a super simple workaround is to use FB Messenger on another device: phone, Tablet/iPad, an old laptop that is just enough for web browser....
saves more time to do it this way than trying to troubleshoot why all the various software notifications mechanisms might or might not conflict with how the Operating System wants to interrupt/notify other software....

The Narc

(used to work at Facebook in the somewhat early days...we're fond of workarounds/hacks/what-have-u...)

a super simple workaround is to use FB Messenger on another device: phone, Tablet/iPad, an old laptop that is just enough for web browser....
saves more time to do it this way than trying to troubleshoot why all the various software notifications mechanisms might or might not conflict with how the Operating System wants to interrupt/notify other software....
Yep notifications and push systems are obtrusive and should be illegal without utter and complete agreement of use. In other words it should be law that these are automatically on negative as a default and then the user can make the choice to turn it on, it should not be every new update auto turns the notifications on and you must search thru non intuitive settings pages to try and turn things off.

The Narc

I mean could you imagine if every time you clicked on something in DDO some kind of notification popped up trying to push you towards the DDO Store <— result mass exodus. But somehow google, apple, facebook, instagram, twitter somehow get away with this.

GrayJedi AntiProPaladin

(this post Not necessarily directly for the OP)
Not sure how old the version of your Operating System is on...but most modern Operating Systems does in fact ask the user if they will allow some software to have notifications come thru, and most recent versions of software do in fact follow the programming standards to notify the modern Operating System that they want to use the notifications facility and ask the user for permissions....
and if the user does Not agree to allow it, the notifications in fact do Not come thru... I usually have several software notifications disallowed, then I go check the apps on my own time

...will add tho that if somehow u have modern Operating System and recent software versions and still u find some software are Not respecting your notifications settings, then u might potentially have some malware/virus/infection/RootKit that bypasses the Operating System's controls

Last edited:

The Narc

In windows 10 (not sure about 11 but probably similar setting locations), if you open "focus assist" and "notifications & action settings", you can do things like limit the action bar on the right of windows from popping when playing games.
Thanks will check that out, just wish my computer and my phone had one simple override button that said turn off any and all notifications or push notifications and blocked any adds(not that you can not block adds from apps without paying but just make the space where the add would appear black space on my phone, and send a notification back to the app saying that i am a user with my black space ad blocker on)

Same reason why i never click on a streamer, not paying anyone for anything i click on.

Blunt Hackett

Try accessing Messenger a different way and see if one works better.

A few ways I can think of are Facebook's website, Messenger's website, Facebook's Windows app, Messenger's Windows app, and the Android Messenger app via Bluestacks.

If you are accessing it via their website, you could try a different web browser as well.

Speed

I use window mode.
DDO acts strangely in full screen in my case and crashes every time I use alt + tab or try to interact with anything outside while other games do it fine.

Gnyxl

(this post Not necessarily directly for the OP)
Not sure how old the version of your Operating System is on...but most modern Operating Systems does in fact ask the user if they will allow some software to have notifications come thru, and most recent versions of software do in fact follow the programming standards to notify the modern Operating System that they want to use the notifications facility and ask the user for permissions....
and if the user does Not agree to allow it, the notifications in fact do Not come thru... I usually have several software notifications disallowed, then I go check the apps on my own time

...will add tho that if somehow u have modern Operating System and recent software versions and still u find some software are Not respecting your notifications settings, then u might potentially have some malware/virus/infection/RootKit that bypasses the Operating System's controls
Win11...