First life tank?

Col Kurtz

This was what I found on my 2 lifer paladin.

Everyone I see tanking looks like they have a ton of lives; I gave up on that char.
you can do a 1st lifer(yes I know theOP may/may not be...but it sounded insinuated) the grind for gear is insufferable ...unless you are in a static group that passes some equipment as it drops:)

Falkor

If running a FvS / hybrid tank ... I can't think of why dragonmarks would help? What am I not seeing here?

Perhaps if running a fighter or paladin, I think halfling may have some merit for its heals.

Halfling gives you heal .. FvS does it better.
Ddoor and teleport from human are attainable via epic tree + scrolls.
Dwarves have radiant forcefield ... maybe?

It just seems like an overall expensive approach that removes other, more effective, low-cost hanging fruit.

vryxnr

Dwarf dragonmark, Radiant Forcefield, reduces all damage but untyped type by 25%. Percentage reductions are where it's at yo!

I would go for LGS radiant forcefield clickies myself, but that also requires a fair amount of farming.

Falkor

That looked like the only real viable one to me. My take on it is that a feat + AP are not worthwhile in a first life build. AP are too tight, and there are better options.

Alrik Fassbauer

f running a FvS / hybrid tank ... I can't think of why dragonmarks would help? What am I not seeing here?

Quoting from the DDo Wiki :

Dwarf : Greater Dragonmark of Warding . Spell-like ability : Radiant Forcefield
Human : Greater Dragonmark of Sentinel : Globe of Invulnerability

I don't think that most people would use an Elf as a tank, but the Wiki says :

Khorvaire Elf : Greater Dragonmark of Shadow : Displacement

Falkor

I'd still never go for dragonmarks on a first life tank and don't recommend it. The AP and feat are too expensive. That being said, feel free to give it a try and see how it works. To each their own. Whatever floats your boat. :)

- Displacement has limited use when tanking a boss that has true sight. It can also be gained via clickies.
- Globe of invulnerability only works against spells, not really applicable for tanking bosses. Also requires staying in one place which isn't always attainable.
- Radiant Forcefield ... decent. I personally wouldn't go for that, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

I'd rather use those AP in other ways, to get hit points or PRR or increase intimidate.

PraetorPlato

Dwarf seems like a very solid option to me—2 racial con, 2 more in tree, 5% quality hp and 30 HP is a solid racial tree before the radiant forcefield, and RF is *very* good.

Falkor

Dwarf is an excellent choice. It's probably the only race I'd consider using a dragonmark for, if the plan is to utilize the racial tree. If you get the +5% quality hps in dwarven tree, that opens up an epic feat.

Tanking with a tankard o' ale! Just don't let the elves toss you.

Vox

If you're going to be spending points in the racial tree, consider half elf - double intimidate & spamable 25% damage reduction all for 3 ap. This stacks with radiant forcefield.

If you want to spend AP they'll get human defensive & stat action boosts, with monk dilettante the highest static hamp of all the races, & so forth.

PraetorPlato

Dwarf is an excellent choice. It's probably the only race I'd consider using a dragonmark for, if the plan is to utilize the racial tree. If you get the +5% quality hps in dwarven tree, that opens up an epic feat.

Tanking with a tankard o' ale! Just don't let the elves toss you.
It's generally more efficient to take falc anyway since sprint boost is near-mandatory, but that saves about 3-5 points.